Living in Wiesbaden vs Mainz

6 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, 

I currently live in Munich but will be moving later this year for a Praktikum in Wiesbaden. I am a student from the US in my late 20's so was hoping I could get some advice on which city would be better to live. Granted I would guess either will be cheaper than Munich but in general is Mainz cheaper than Wiesbaden? I would be looking at WG rooms or 1 room apartments if any are available in my price range (hoping to spend no more than 350 a month) Also as far as social life which would be better for someone of student age? I understand that Mainz is a bit more a student city so my assumption that it would be the better place to live but wondering if the differences would justify a commute. If anyone can give some advice that would be great.

Thank you

Wiesbaden is definitely more expensive.  But the difference is less than it used to be and the gap is closing.  

I think for 350 euros you will have to look for a WG.  A one room apartment for that price in either city is not realistic

Yes, Mainz is a Uni-city and I always think that it has a different grungier vibe compared to Wiesbaden but to be honest I can't really comment on the night-life as I am beyond that now!  The cities are close enough that you can live in one and party in the other, although you need to watch out for public transport (or pay for a taxi!)

Also, be aware that commuting between the two can be tough and take time because of the river and limited bridges.  They are also about the close (today?) one of the bridges for traffic for several months which will make things worse short term (although it stays open for public transport).  And another bridge is being totally rebuilt and has had major roadworks for years, with still a few more to go!

You could always live in Mainz-Kastel.  It has Mainz in the name but is actually part of Wiesbaden :) 

I live in Mainz.  I moved to my current place in mid-2018, and did a lot of searching in Wiesbaden as well, so I have fairly recent experience.  I found that Wiesbaden rental prices were noticeably higher than in Mainz.

I agree with the other poster that Mainz is a bit "grungier" than Wiesbaden when it comes to nightlife, but I think as a Uni student you'd find it more to your taste (and wallet) than Wiesbaden.  The public transportation setup in Mainz is better than in Wiesbaden as well.

OTOH, as the other poster pointed out, commuting between Mainz and Wiesbaden every day is not going to be fun if you have to do it during normal commuting times.

Thank you for the replies, I will concentrate my search in Mainz then if Wiesbaden is still significantly more expensive (of course need to see how much the transit ticket will cost to factor that in). I have no intentions of driving whatsoever during my stay so not concerned about commuting traffic, I assume the S-Bahn will be crowded but fairly used to that in Munich. 

I suggest to check out the route with train & bus.

Mainz & Wiesbaden are not that big compared to Munich and there are not a lot of S-Bahn stations.   There is also only an S-Bahn every 30 minutes between them, although there is also a regional bahn so the frequency is ~every 15 minutes.  So Bus might be a better option, but even then you might have to change.

And you will need a back-up plan for when they go on strike!

There is talk about building a light-rail/Tram between the two but this is still years away.

Ref the S-Bahn and Regional Bahn between Mainz and Wiesbaden:

The number of stops in both Mainz and Wiesbaden are very limited.  So, unless both your home and your Praktikum location are close to the stops served by these trains (S8 and RB75), you will either be walking or taking additional trams/busses.  This could add substantially to your travel time.

As an example:  I live in a close-in Mainz Stadtteil, directly on a tram line.  Travel time for me via tram/train to the Wiesbaden Hbf is around 50-55 minutes.  Travel time by car, even with the bridge construction, is less than half of that.

If you live right near the Mainz Hbf, and your destination is right near the Wiesbaden Hbf, it is not so bad.  Transit time on the S8 is about 15 minutes.