Student Tax returns and other claims

6 posts in this topic

Hello Guys,

I would really appreciate it if I can get some advice on my current tax situation.

I came to Germany as an international student in 2018 for doing my Masters.

During my study I used to pay a monthly insurance amount of around 90€ and also used to take semester tickets for my daily transportation and all.

In 2018 I completed my studies and found a job. So currently I am working full time at a company.

I was starting to think about filing my tax returns for the year 2019 now and I am having a few questions:

1. Should I start with filing the tax returns for 2018 when I was a student ? I had no income when I was a student but i still used to pay for insurance and things.

Will it have any impact on my tax return for 2019 ?

2. In the year 2019 I used my car to to go work. It is my private car and I was wondering if I can add my car insurance to inside somewhere in my tax return ?

Thanks in advance!

Generally the rule is that if something is related for work, then you can claim it back.  If for personal use, then not.

And you can only reduce the amount of tax which you have to pay.  So if your income was nothing, then you paid no tax, therefore you cannot get a reduction on nothing!

However, my understanding is that you should still file a tax return as if you have more expenses than income then this can be used to generate a "tax loss" which can still be applied when you do start earning money.  But don't expect to receive a cheque from the Finanzamt if you didn't earn anything in that year.

As for the car.  Car insurance is not applicable, even if you use it for driving to/from work.  As it is considered something which you need for your personal life not work life.

But you do get the "Pendlerpauschale" towards your tax claim, which depends on how many days you go to the office and how far you drive  and is supposed to factor in all the running costs of a vehicle.

2 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

As for the car.  Car insurance is not applicable, even if you use it for driving to/from work. 

Actually liability insurance/Haftpflichtversicherung is BUT:

On 22.4.2013, 02:54:28, PandaMunich said:

The problem is that there is a 1,900€ cap per year for employees for the sum of all claimable insurances, and most people already reach that amount with their share in their health insurance (which is deductible even if it is more than 1,900€ a year, don't let that confuse you).
So, most people don't have any space left under that cap for other insurance, so insurances apart from health insurance end up being deductible only in theory.

3 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

Actually liability insurance/Haftpflichtversicherung is BUT:

Interesting, thanks.

I thought that it was covered by the Pendlerpauschale.

4 minutes ago, dj_jay_smith said:

I thought that it was covered by the Pendlerpauschale.

Pendlerpauschale is 1000€, which is already included in the salary calculation - commuter costs that exceed this amount can also be deducted. Lump sums are deductible up to 4500€.