Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Question about driving licenses

29 posts in this topic

Salutations, all!

So, I had my appointment with the Driver Licensing Authority for my city, and the whole process was seamless. I have my British license to use until my German license comes through the post within the next four weeks, whereby I will relinquish my GB license (simple enough: I just hand it in without needing another appointment, when my German license comes.)

No problems at all; all seamless and hassle-free! All I needed was my passport, a passport photo and my driving license. I undersigned a couple of documents, and that was it! Really easy. Mind you, I've never had any problems with the Dortmund Stadtamt; they've always provided a sterling service, at least for me. (Registering my address just after the two-week requirement without penalty, acquiring my Permanent Residency - I'm hopeful that the process of getting my German Citizenship in May will be equally seamless).

Cheers, guys.

Yes, just done the same because my Photo Licence had run out. They are valid for 10 years before you need to get one and so I thought I would check - it ran out Sept 2018!

For info, I exchanged my British licence for a German one last year. I checked on the DVLA website and my British licence was still showing until about 6 months later. Now it no longer exists. So the Germans did send my old UK licence to the DVLA eventually and it was cancelled.

On 1/31/2020, 6:26:31, Auntie Helen said:

For info, I exchanged my British licence for a German one last year. I checked on the DVLA website and my British licence was still showing until about 6 months later. Now it no longer exists. So the Germans did send my old UK licence to the DVLA eventually and it was cancelled.

It's not cancelled, as they have no authority like that over foreign licenses. They just put it in storage. In theory, you can ask for it back if you return the German license.

21 minutes ago, alderhill said:

It's not cancelled, as they have no authority like that over foreign licenses. They just put it in storage. In theory, you can ask for it back if you return the German license.

???

Surely, the DVLA has the authority to cancel a UK license once they are informed by the German Amt that this license was exchanged for a German one...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver_and_Vehicle_Licensing_Agency

Yes exactly, Germany waited a while before sending my licence back to the Uk and then the DVLA cancelled it as they can, they were the original issuer.

I received my German driver's license last April and surrendered my South Dakota license.  As of a few minutes ago, my SD license is still active and I doubt my servicing Führerscheinstelle has returned the SD license as the regulations allow.  My German license has my SD license number and "USA" on the bottom of the reverse side.

I'm looking forward to exchanging my licenses in late May when I return for a visit and vote in the primary election on 2 June.  My SD license is also my voter registration card.

12 hours ago, franklan said:

???

Surely, the DVLA has the authority to cancel a UK license once they are informed by the German Amt that this license was exchanged for a German one...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver_and_Vehicle_Licensing_Agency

I was more referring to sending it back, not familiar with British office terms. Perhaps it's a European/EU thing (oh, woops). Wonder how the dawn of Britain's great new era will change this though. AFAIK, none of the jurisdictions I've lived in sends Canadian licenses back. In Canada/US anyway, driving tends to be a provincial/state responsibility so they probably can't be bothered to comply with 60 different sets of laws.  

As I mentioned, I've been told many times that you also have the right to ask for your non-German license back upon request. Which would be hard to do if it's been shipped out and shredded... Again, perhaps an EU thing.

As an update to my previous post, the lady at the Führerscheinstelle called today and confirmed the office is keeping my SD driver's license and is happy to exchange it for my German license when I return to the States later this year.