Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Question about driving licenses

29 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Long time reader but first-time poster here.

Now, I've looked on the relevant German and British websites, but I cannot find an answer.

So, I am a Brit with permanent EU/German residency, and this year in May I shall apply for my German passport (Got my LiD Zertifikat, B2 German certificate, integrated by having training with the THW).

Anyway, I am cognisant to the suggestion that Brits should exchange their driving licenses during the transition period, but if I exchange my UK license for a German one will that be valid to use in the UK? I don't drive now because I live in a city-centre (only when I visit the UK) but I may decide to drive here (particularly if a job requires me to do so). I am obviously a licensed driver on the DVLA system, so technically there shouldn't be a problem, but peradventure were I to be stopped by the police in the UK and show them my German driving license, I may end up getting nicked. Heretofore it would be no problem using my UK license here.

I think I have my paper copy of my license somewhere in my parents' house in the UK, but I can't be sure of where it would be.

Of course, I don't want to have to take a test after Brexit just to get a German license.

I did have a way to have both licenses, but it was a bit shady (not illegal per se). I won't mention it so as to not run the risk of breaching the T&C's.

Thanks for any help. If you have sources as well, that would be good; particularly from government departments.

You should change driving licence ASAP.  The transition period will probably just add a new level of confusion so best to do it while the UK is still an EU member and it can be done easily with no hassle.  Current laws say that this is possible for EU members, it doesn't say anything about members in transition and this will confuse the Beamters who of course stick to the rules!

The UK has stated that it will still recognise EU driving licences in the UK the same as they do today.  So driving there will be no problem.

They don't want to cause problems for the logistics industry, so will keep it simple.

Of course who knows what will happen in the future.

There are really no advantage to having two licences for UK & DE as it stands at the moment.  And you run the risk that in the event of an accident that the insurance company turn round and say "no valid licence, not paying!" (they look for any excuse!).

6 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

6 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

Hello.

Awesome! I called DVLA to check and they confirmed an EU driving license is good for up to 12 months (after Brexit). I'll make the request on Monday next. Thank you for your informative post! If a mod wants to close this thread, please do.

next time you are home, you can go to the DMV {what ever you call it there} and say you lost your license and get a new one :}

7 hours ago, tor said:

next time you are home, you can go to the DMV {what ever you call it there} and say you lost your license and get a new one :}

I'd be worried. If you exchange a UK license for a German one, don't the Germans send your old UK license to Blighty and tell them you've exchanged it? Wouldn't you be accused of fraud if you told the Brits you lost it?

I am only guessing, maybe they put old licenses in the shredder and that's that.

From what I have heard, they keep your license on file and you can exchange it if you are traveling to your home country and want to use that license there. i've never done it... . Do UK licenses expire?

7 hours ago, tor said:

...Do UK licenses expire?

Yes of course!

The photocard ones expire after 10 years.  That's why I had to swap mine for a German one a few years ago. (German photocard licence expires after 15 years)

The paper ones I believe expire when you turn 70, and then you have to renew it every 3 years.

7 hours ago, tor said:

From what I have heard, they keep your license on file and you can exchange it if you are traveling to your home country and want to use that license there. i've never done it... . ..

Certainly not for EU licences.  As according to EU law you can only have a driving licence from one EU country at a time.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/vehicles/driving-licence/driving-licence-renewal-exchange/index_en.htm

When you exchange your licence, they will also contact the country from where it was issued to check that it is still valid, not suspended etc.  So at this point the other country will know about the exchange and the licence will be marked accordingly in their systems.

You would be much more likely to get points in the UK so get the German one. My sat nav goes nuts when I come of the boat at Dover. You can use your German licence for trips to the UK, as before the EU was born. Your then covered for Brexit. Its easy bo it before the rush. 

@ryanderloewe

The person you spoke to at the DVLA are misinformed. An EU licence will be valid post Brexit until the expiry date of the photocard, then it will have to be exchanged for a UK licence.

Good luck with trying to exchange your licence before 31st January 20, despite what you may think you may come up against some hurdles due to internal German politics and how each Bundesland deals with licence exchanges re British expats and Brexit.

@tor I know they say you shouldn't shoot the messenger but in your case please feel free to do so, you couldn't be any further from the truth if you tried.

@Smaug Ignore Tor, as an EU citizen and licence holder you can only hold 1 licence.

@dj_jay_smith

The German authorities do not contact the UK to check the validity of a licence, this if need be can be checked using EUCARIS, however upon exchanging a UK licence it will be returned to the UK.

On all EU photocard licences there is a code to tell where the licence originated and if it has been exchanged. 

Paper Licences issued prior to 1998 are valid until 2035 or the 70th birthday which ever comes first. Paper licences issued between 1998 and 2015 are no longer valid. 

8 hours ago, GoBike said:

You would be much more likely to get points in the UK so get the German one. 

Stupid statement, of course you would get points on a UK licence even if you don't live in the UK but the points will make zero difference to your ability to drive in another EU country or affect your insurance.

I think what you're trying to say is that as a holder of a non UK licence you will not get any points but again this makes no difference to a non UK resident.

8 hours ago, GoBike said:

Its easy bo it before the rush. 

What rush?

Why does your Sat Nav go nuts? 

@Sir Percy B a nice fuck you to you as well.

as for the first part, a friend of mine returned to the sates for 2 months and he exchanged his DE license for his Us one, and then back again.

As for the second part, I use my US license in the US when I need to show ID because it is easier than explaining why the numbers are backwards on my strange ID and what do all those strange words mean.

1 hour ago, tor said:

@Sir Percy B a nice fuck you to you as well.

It's fairly obvious that Geography was not your best subject at school.

In case you are not aware the US has nothing to do with Europe let alone the EU licencing system which is what this subject is all about.

Before you go telling people to go fuck themselves perhaps you should save yourself the time to prevent making yourself look like the prize prick of the day and read the opening post, it might also help to know that not everything on this forum is solely about the US, there are other English speaking nations present.

20 hours ago, Smaug said:

I'd be worried. If you exchange a UK license for a German one, don't the Germans send your old UK license to Blighty and tell them you've exchanged it? Wouldn't you be accused of fraud if you told the Brits you lost it?

They sent my Texas license back to Texas when I got my German one. No chance to tell Texas that I lost it  and get a replacement. Not sure how that works within the EU.

On 1/10/2020, 6:37:41, dj_jay_smith said:

Of course who knows what will happen in the future.

as you started it, you can continue to fuck off in any general direction you wish mr b.

The OP is no stranger to having two licenses and I merely suggested it would be a good idea to continue that practice.

The Führerscheinstelle in Munich sent my Dutch license for checking to the BKA (Bundeskriminalamt) and when I received my German license, they sent my Dutch license back to the appropriate authorities in the Netherlands. AFAIK, this is the correct procedure. My German license includes my Dutch license number.

2 hours ago, tor said:

as you started it, you can continue to fuck off in any general direction you wish mr b.

The OP is no stranger to having two licenses and I merely suggested it would be a good idea to continue that practice.

Game, set and match to... not you. 😋

12 hours ago, Sir Percy B said:

@dj_jay_smith

The German authorities do not contact the UK to check the validity of a licence, this if need be can be checked using EUCARIS, however upon exchanging a UK licence it will be returned to the UK.

That's not what this says

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/vehicles/driving-licence/driving-licence-renewal-exchange/index_en.htm

Before the authorities exchange your driving licence, they will contact the authorities in your previous country of residence to check that your driving licence has not been restricted, suspended or withdrawn.