Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Opening a new bank account

9 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have recently moved to Munich/Freising for a permanent job. Do you have a suggestion as in which bank I should open mine and my wife's account. I want to have a free account and where I can do online banking and mobile banking comfortably in English.

I am reading a lot about N26 bank. What's your suggestion on this ? Deutsche Bank is offering me a partnership account which is free but I am not sure it I will be able to do online/mobile banking in English there.  

Thanks and regards,

Saurabh

I can only offer this perspective: We have had an N26 acct for close to two years, and we have been very happy with it.  Our reason for using it is not tied to the fact that it works in English; however, per my husband it is all done in English.  For us it also pairs nicely with Transeferwise if that's a service you need or want.  We currently pay all of our rent and bills here using N26 and have had a positive experience.  Our son who is a software engineer recommended it to us.  

I have an N26 account - works well, the phone app is reliable, and it is in English, and free. I also transfer funds to it using Transferwise (the Borderless account) which I fund from my Australian accounts. Very fast and effective. I also have a separate DKB account - the app is fine, but setting it all up was a bit of a hassle, and its only in German.

Another satisfied N26 customer here.  My income is in GBP and I use a Bordeless Transferwise account to fund my N26 account.

9 hours ago, Saurabh Agarwal said:

I want to have a free account and where I can do online banking and mobile banking comfortably in English.

I am reading a lot about N26 bank

If you prefer a Brick & Mortar bank  then Commerzbank, if there is an local branch near your area, can also be a choice. They have English option for online banking and offers free banking services. You might even qualify for 100 euro starting bonus. 

10 hours ago, kaju said:

I have an N26 account - works well, the phone app is reliable, and it is in English, and free. I also transfer funds to it using Transferwise (the Borderless account) which I fund from my Australian accounts. Very fast and effective. I also have a separate DKB account - the app is fine, but setting it all up was a bit of a hassle, and its only in German.

Deutsche bank and DKB bank are completely different. Am I right?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Saurabh Agarwal said:

I was considering Commerzbank bank but then I read a lot of bad reviews https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.commerzbank.de

Oh, that is pretty damming! My own experience though has been mostly positive and I have had an account with them since they took over my Dresdener Bank account (several years now). I do like the online banking app which is available in English both for PC and smart phone and I am able to get foreign currency over the counter (not ordered in advance) debited to my account at a couple of branches in Munich. On the negative side online banking is clearly having an effect on the staffing and services offered at some of their branches, I was very surprised recently to find a local branch no longer had cash over the counter when I needed a sum larger than the daily limit from the ATM, they were also not able to increase the limit on my debit/ATM card though they initially claimed they could (wasted about 30mins to no avai)l. On that subject though I believe they are not alone as I understand that the Sparkasse  also have cash issues and at some branches you may need to order even quite moderate sums a week in advance.

14 hours ago, Saurabh Agarwal said:

Deutsche bank and DKB bank are completely different. Am I right?

Thanks!

Yes, DKB is an online bank set up and owned by Bayerisches Landesbank.