Diet Culture Rant

26 posts in this topic

On 1/11/2020, 8:53:21, katheliz said:

There's definitely a right way for anyone who doesn't have a metabolic or genetic problem.  The difficulty is finding it. It turns out to be specific to your own needs. So be creative - work out a healthy way to live and eat, exercise moderately, and be prepared to spend the rest of your life following your new rules and looking good.
"Eat less and exercise more," heard on Absolutely Fabulous.   It's so simple. It's so hard. It's so worth it.

Image result for absolutely fabulous images"

Yep, basically what I believe in. Because it's most sustainable to 'eat less and exercise more'. Of course making healthy choices in 'eating less' allows to 'eat more'. 

My whole point was is how annoying the diet industry is and the 'new years resolution dieters' who (unfortunately) tend to gain back most of what they've lost as soon as they stop with whatever diet they're following because it's too restrictive. 

15 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Not practical due to distance?  If that's the issue, you might think in an e-bike, you can easily achieve longer distances without killing yourself and it seems that you still exercise much more than you would think.

I am waiting for my kids to finish with the primary school and I would definitely get one.

That is partly the issue.   I used to ride on the shoulder of busy roads until a guy I knew pretty well was run over and killed.  Also a former boss was hit and was lucky not to be killed (had he not been wearing a helmet).  After that I was determined to ride on bike paths or quiet roads only.  In Freiburg, they had fantastic bike paths and I lived not too far out of town but far enough to get some good exercise.

E-bikes are great though and might be in my future at some point.  

8 hours ago, Keleth said:

I`ve never seen anyone lost weight and then keep that weight off without some form of exercise (I don`t mean Gym exercise or jogging etc)

You have not seen anyone lose weight with gym exercise and jogging??? I mean this is what most do and both are great exercise (if maintained and not used as an excuse to then pig out after). :) Or maybe I'm misunderstanding. 

6 minutes ago, LostBetweenCountries said:

You have not seen anyone lose weight with gym exercise and jogging??? I mean this is what most do and both are great exercise (if maintained and not used as an excuse to then pig out after). :) Or maybe I'm misunderstanding. 

No I mean the exercise doesn`t have to involve going to the gym or jogging etc.

Just get some damned bewegung in a day just a walk every day or so.

You are misunderstanding and I think you know you`re misunderstanding unfortunately sarcasm doesn`t always come over in the written word.

1 hour ago, Keleth said:

No I mean the exercise doesn`t have to involve going to the gym or jogging etc.

Just get some damned bewegung in a day just a walk every day or so.

You are misunderstanding and I think you know you`re misunderstanding unfortunately sarcasm doesn`t always come over in the written word.

I wouldn't consider it missed sarcasm, it just was not clear (I spend a lot of time in the 'fitness industry' where there's lots of arguing about what type of exercise is right and wrong). But that's why I rather asked than assuming that's what you meant and getting up in arms. And I 100% agree that  #dailymovement is important. As I'm about to go for a lunch walk over here (it's so damn hot but I might not make the gym today I've gotta move otherwise). 

O/T, but a useful graphic any time your sarcasm is taken seriously.

Sarchasm.png.ebee4388011ce0725c02fb50f40

Not that any TTers ever descend to sarcasm.