Diet Culture Rant

27 posts in this topic

With the first of the year and new year's resolutions about and since I currently reside in the US, how do you all perceive the diet culture in Germany?  I recall that there were lots of diet food/supplement commercials on in the past, but what is everyone's experience with friends, family and coworkers?

I find it almost annoying how everyone in my office is suddenly keto and/or sugar free. Yes, I've cleaned up my diet after the holidays, but only to what it was before December. Meaning I limit my junk food intake but still allow myself an occasional treat. Admittedly, I have my problems with female friends anyway (not sure why) but when all they talk about what they can and cannot eat I completely zone out and want to run away... at my last job I had a girl I shared the office with and she would talk, but ONLY about eating and what and how much she has or has not yet eaten that day... FFS, get a life people, none of us are making it out of here alive... 

Simple. In Germany schoen und schlank goes together. I remember that being the first comment I got from my soon-to-be German MIL the first time I met her some 30 years ago. I have heard it repeatedly over the years and even now. If you ain't schlank, you ain't schoen.

As for people constantly talking about food and what they do/don't eat, I get the same in the U.S. when I visit. It is truly an obsession with many people.

I was recently reading about the intermittent fasting rules. Realized that is what I've been doing for years without knowing it. Eating around noon or 13:00 and again between 19:00 and 20:00. I never knew I was fasting.

Eat when you're hungry and not huge portions. I should write a book, oder?

The key to boosting your metabolism is lifting heavy weights.  That way you can benefit from the "After Burn Effect".  Also you can eat what you want but you have to make sure that your protein:fat:carb ratio is correct.

1 hour ago, J0ker said:

The key to boosting your metabolism is lifting heavy weights.  That way you can benefit from the "After Burn Effect".  Also you can eat what you want but you have to make sure that your protein:fat:carb ratio is correct.

I am well aware of this. I've been doing both CrossFit and weightlifting for years. In the end though the only thing that matters is "calories in vs. calories out". Fact is protein generally has less calories so you can eat more, you're full longer etc. And yes, they all do different things for your body. 

Keto drives me crazy. Especially the ones who think they can eat what they want as long as it doesn't have carbs. Well, if you end up eating 4000 calories a day of protein and fat - guess what - you probably won't lose any weight (this is directed at them not you J0ker).

I try to keep a balance of my macro intake. Right now my lifting has been diminished due to an injury I have to let heal but I cannot wait to go back. 

On 1/7/2020, 2:51:00, fraufruit said:

Simple. In Germany schoen und schlank goes together. I remember that being the first comment I got from my soon-to-be German MIL the first time I met her some 30 years ago. I have heard it repeatedly over the years and even now. If you ain't schlank, you ain't schoen.

As for people constantly talking about food and what they do/don't eat, I get the same in the U.S. when I visit. It is truly an obsession with many people.

I was recently reading about the intermittent fasting rules. Realized that is what I've been doing for years without knowing it. Eating around noon or 13:00 and again between 19:00 and 20:00. I never knew I was fasting.

Eat when you're hungry and not huge portions. I should write a book, oder?

Trust me, Americans DO think only 'schlank ist schön', but the over-abundance of temptation and unhealthy choices make it hard. Also the fact that healthy food is generally more expensive here than unhealthy. So if you're on a budget, guess what...you may eat more unhealthy. 

Now that the holidays are over I am cooking more at home, meal-prepping and planning what I eat, but I allow myself treats in moderation (like a bar of Kinderriegel, not a box). This keeps me happy and healthy. Oh and I love being active. If all else fails I take my ass to Disney and walk around, but usually gym, bike rides, hiking... even in the FL heat. :P  

Don't go on a cruise :). The friend of my brother just returned from a 3 week cruise and gained 6 kilos. His wife added 5 kilos. He actually met some pensioners who do this several times a year. There is food everywhere. Every day different chocolates on the corridor.

I cannot stand it. It makes me sick to my stomach.

I understand 100% if someone has to change their diet due to a disease, an allergy or for genuine health reasons, but these dieting regimes are insane. We have so many eating disorders and it is effecting younger people, even children.

Addiction is very real, and yet food addiction is not taken seriously. There is no rehab or help. Just stupid dieting regimes shoved down our throats.

Worst still, dieting slows your metabolism down. Strips you of vital nutrients.

2 hours ago, J0ker said:

This is so true. It also strengthens bones as well. Very good to prevent osteoporosis.

People should be looking to eat smaller portions for example if they want to lose weight, same food just less.

But hell yeah, life is too short! I find it terrible how after new year you always see excercising clothes and equipment in all the leaflets. All these fad diets...

1 hour ago, LostBetweenCountries said:

Keto drives me crazy. Especially the ones who think they can eat what they want as long as it doesn't have carbs. Well, if you end up eating 4000 calories a day of protein and fat - guess what - you probably won't lose any weight (this is directed at them not you J0ker).

I actually eat over 4,000 Calories daily sometimes even 4,500.  Keto is a bit too extreme for my taste.  I do strength training but not eating carbs is decremental for my lifts.  At one point I reached 8 % body fat and while I looked shredded it was psychologically demoralizing to get weaker and weaker (even though you would think I was stronger).

1 hour ago, LostBetweenCountries said:

I try to keep a balance of my macro intake. Right now my lifting has been diminished due to an injury I have to let heal but I cannot wait to go back. 

Good luck with your recovery.  I had a back injury last year while squatting.  :(

5 minutes ago, J0ker said:

I actually eat over 4,000 Calories daily sometimes even 4,500.  Keto is a bit too extreme for my taste.  I do strength training but not eating carbs is decremental for my lifts.  At one point I reached 8 % body fat and while I looked shredded it was psychologically demoralizing to get weaker and weaker (even though you would think I was stronger).

Good luck with your recovery.  I had a back injury last year while squatting.  :(

Hehe, yea some men can get away with that. Unfortunately even with strength training I can't eat that much. :P  I think at my highest I'd eat around 2300-2500 without gaining and that was a good amount of food for me. Right now I've wittled myself to 1500 but I need to be in a deficit right now. 

Thank you. Yea I have issues with 2 disks. So my snatching days are over but I will be happy to squat and deadlift again I'm sure. :) 

16 minutes ago, LostBetweenCountries said:

Right now I've wittled myself to 1500 but I need to be in a deficit right now. 

1500?  :o  That's my Sunday morning breakfast.  Don't push yourself that hard.

Just now, J0ker said:

1500?  :o  That's my Sunday morning breakfast.  Don't push yourself that hard.

Unfortunately I do gain if I eat too much. I'm trying to lose right now. I often do go over, that's just my arbitrary goal on MFP. Currently just not happy with what I see in the mirror (and yes that's been different before). Work fed us all through December and I've put on about 5lbs but all in the stomach :D I need to chill on the food for a bit. At least until my vacation at home in 2 months.

And yes, I've had that much for breakfast myself - lmao. 

My body builder cousin always said that reps are more important than weight. That was many years ago and he won many championships and was in a lot of magazines.

On 1/10/2020, 10:20:49, fraufruit said:

My body builder cousin always said that reps are more important than weight. That was many years ago and he won many championships and was in a lot of magazines.

That depends on your goals. I find bodybuilding bodies extremely unattractive ... The thing is there’s usually a “right” way for your goals :) 

There's definitely a right way for anyone who doesn't have a metabolic or genetic problem.  The difficulty is finding it. It turns out to be specific to your own needs. So be creative - work out a healthy way to live and eat, exercise moderately, and be prepared to spend the rest of your life following your new rules and looking good.
"Eat less and exercise more," heard on Absolutely Fabulous.   It's so simple. It's so hard. It's so worth it.

Image result for absolutely fabulous images"

I‘ve done Keto for over a year now and it’s great. It suits my body very well, and I lost 20kg in the first 8 months and have kept it off.

saying you can eat 4000 calories and lose weight on Keto is wrong (unless you are doing mega exercise) - that’s not how it works! It works by stopping you feeling hungry so you don’t have to eat as much, so you restrict calories automatically.

I have Labrador genes so I was always hungry. And I really always was. As a 176cm woman I weighed between 100 and 120kg at different times. Because when I felt hungry I needed to eat.

Now eating the Keto diet I have no breakfast (not hungry, saves time). I eat lunch at 13:00 and dinner at 19:00 and nothing in between - I don’t need to. My calories intake has reduced a lot but I don’t notice that at all as I am not hungry. I eat lots of lovely meat with creamy sauces, cheese, olives, nuts. The food is very tasty (although if I were a vegetarian I think it would be a lot trickier).

keto works FOR ME as it suits my body type and I find it easy to follow. It is not the right choice for other people. I feel healthier on Keto than I ever have before, and I am still slowly losing weight although being much laxer about what I eat (I have more carbs per day, probably 50-80g). To have lost weight over the year and not put it back on is very novel!

For some people it can be a really good option, so worth looking into. For others it will not suit.

I`ve never seen anyone lost weight and then keep that weight off without some form of exercise (I don`t mean Gym exercise or jogging etc)

Yet I`ve seen many people "eat healthy" and keep the same weight or even put on weight because they sit around on their arse all day (at home or in the office etc)or do the bare minimum exercise.

2 years ago I was diagnosed as a Type 2 (the fat one) diabetic.I``ve cut sugar out (not 100% but no coke,sweets etc) ate healthier and I lost a couple of KGs in a year.

In the last year the way we work has changed and involves a lot more walking rather than the old physical exercise while standing still (Which I would class lifting about 10 Tonnes a day as.)

Now in the last year I`ve lost 18kg.

Also so many people seem to want instant weight loss rather than taking their time over it.

Carbs are processed differently than fat and protein, and failure to look into the details results in a lot of misinformation.  

If you look at issues like insulin sensitivity and inflammation, they provide other arguments to moderate carb intake.  

From my point of view one of the most enduring myths about calories is the pasta party prior to a long distance running event.   Eat a bunch of carbs and the excesses are processed like they always are and not in some special reserve tank for the next morning's run.  

My favorite diet to try was the beer and pizza one, coupled with extensive use of the TV remote control.

I did not lose any weight, might have even gained some, but it was the best I ever tried. I would recommend it to anyone.

2 hours ago, Keleth said:

I`ve never seen anyone lost weight and then keep that weight off without some form of exercise (I don`t mean Gym exercise or jogging etc)

Yet I`ve seen many people "eat healthy" and keep the same weight or even put on weight because they sit around on their arse all day (at home or in the office etc)or do the bare minimum exercise.

2 years ago I was diagnosed as a Type 2 (the fat one) diabetic.I``ve cut sugar out (not 100% but no coke,sweets etc) ate healthier and I lost a couple of KGs in a year.

In the last year the way we work has changed and involves a lot more walking rather than the old physical exercise while standing still (Which I would class lifting about 10 Tonnes a day as.)

Now in the last year I`ve lost 18kg.

Also so many people seem to want instant weight loss rather than taking their time over it.

This has been my experience too.  It is not so much what I eat (although I do find that cooking for yourself instead of premade foods helps there too), but how much exercise I get.  Since I am not really the an exercise guru, I find that just increasing activity in my daily routine (take the stairs, park further away, etc.) works best for me. 

I really wish that I could bike to work.  I did that for one year and was in the best shape of my life.  Unfortunately that hasn't been practical since then.  

I know of no one for whom the fad diets worked over time.  

5 hours ago, BradinBayern said:

I really wish that I could bike to work.  I did that for one year and was in the best shape of my life.  Unfortunately that hasn't been practical since then.  

Not practical due to distance?  If that's the issue, you might think in an e-bike, you can easily achieve longer distances without killing yourself and it seems that you still exercise much more than you would think.

I am waiting for my kids to finish with the primary school and I would definitely get one.