Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Claiming back holidays due to injury

7 posts in this topic

Got a small injury during holidays in Portugal. I can´t walk for a few days, reason enough to have A.U. in Germany.

I went to the hospital and I have a medical report with all the details, including X-rays.

My understanding is that I can claim back this (lost) holidays as I was sick.

What is the procedure in this case? Should I come back to Germany and show the hospital´s documents to my Hausarzt, and he can give me a A.U. for the injured days? Do I need to notify the company immediately?

Thanks in advance!

To prove that you really are ill and unable to walk do the following:

Ask for a Reiseunfähigkeitsbescheinigung, which means you cannot travel back to Germany at the moment  due to health problems.

What language are the documents in? Your employer doesn’t have to accept documents in a foreign language.

Scan or fax the documents to your employer immediately with a little note explaining that you cannot walk.

Make an appointment with your Doctor in Germany now.

If your company accepts the documents and your explanation, you will be registered as ill and can take the number of days as a holiday at a later date.

Thanks!

The document is in Portuguese but we have a brasilian girl in HR, she can translate. Problem is the company is closed until the 2nd. I´ve already sent an email today in the morning, but they might only look at it on Thursday.

I will scan the documents ASAP (or send a photograph) and send them also.

3 hours ago, White Rose of Yorkshire said:

Make an appointment with your Doctor in Germany now.

How does this help? I am unsure of when I am back... either I am well enough on the 7th (expected arrival date) or I need one more week. My flight is only on the 6th.

Who should I ask for the Reiseunfähigkeitsbescheinigung?

BTW, side question: I am travelling with my son, but as I might not travel at all, he will need some document to show at school...

A Doctor can give you a Reiseunfähigkeitsbescheinigung for your employer. It should look something like this.

https://www.zurich.de/-/media/project/zwp/germany/docs/service/dokumente-und-formulare/reise/zurich_gruppe_dl_bescheinigung_reiseunfaehigkeit.pdf?la=de-de&hash=653234A0273F0B23F0AE0A61AA39850D

If you have to cancel your flight it might be a good idea to ask for one for the airline company and also one for the school too.

In the past, many people registered ill while on holiday abroad and so extended their holiday that things got a bit out of hand. There are tales of people being able to buy a sick note in some countries too. No offence meant. This is the reason why many employers request a certified document that the person concerned is too ill to travel back to Germany and be treated here. If you are fit too travel you can then submit a German sick note to your employer.  

Regarding making an appointment with your Doctor in Germany. I just thought because of the Christmas/New Year holidays you might have difficulty arranging an appointment at short notice. A Doctor cannot back date a sick note to a period of time when you were on holiday. 

Hope you will soon be feeling better.

10 hours ago, White Rose of Yorkshire said:

Sorry for my dumbness, but is a Portuguese doctor supposed to give me a document filled in like this or I should get one when I return to Germany, with my Hausarzt?

In your case a Reiseunfähigkeitsbescheingung would state that the person concerned cannot travel back to Germany because he is not fit enough to do so. Your Portuguese Doctor is the only one that can confirm that you are unfit to travel back to Germany at this moment in time.

If he cannot provide you with a written confirmation of the above, it can be in a letter, (the above form was just an example) you must travel back to Germany and speak with your Dr here. If your Portuguese Dr  decides that you are well enough to travel, ask for a sick note. You may be able to take your holidays at a later date according to the information on the sick note. Your German Dr  cannot back date a sick note. He can only give you a sick note dated on the day when he sees you. 

What is very important is that you keep your employer fully informed the whole time as to when you will arrive back in Germany and when you can begin to work with written confirmation covering the holiday period.

Small update: partial success so far! I got a paper from the doctor, my company accepted. Now I am talking with the airline to change the date.