CineStar is closing - any other English OV movie theaters in Berlin?

9 posts in this topic

CineStar at Potsdamer Platz is closing in a week. This was the only place I knew of in Berlin to see OV movies in English (mainly Hollywood, not indie films). Does anyone know of any others?

Of the alternatives, I like Rollberg Kino in Neukölln the best. It’s part if the Yorck Kino chain. 

It does however well and truly suck that CineStar is closing. One more great thing about Berlin gone and it’s because the landlords are asking for rents which makes continuing this as a cinema impossible. No idea what they imagine of putting in there, like Berlin needs yet another shopping center. That’s my main reason for going to Potsdamer Platz gone.

The replacement is the Cubix at Alex. The others are only on certain days and some have subtitles. Your new home from home is the Cubix, opposite TK Maxx, all original only. I am preparing myself for my new cinema; I have never been there and was a loyal Potsdamer Platz customer for 20 years. Time for a change.

1 hour ago, black1 said:

The replacement is the Cubix at Alex. The others are only on certain days and some have subtitles. Your new home from home is the Cubix, opposite TK Maxx, all original only. I am preparing myself for my new cinema; I have never been there and was a loyal Potsdamer Platz customer for 20 years. Time for a change.

Do you happen to know when that’s all taking place?

19 hours ago, Santitas said:

Do you happen to know when that’s all taking place?

Here is the email they sent me. It starts right into the new year as the Potsdamer Platz cinema shuts from Jan 1. 

Hey "black1", 

erlebe noch bis zum 31. Dezember großes Kino im CineStar - Sony Center bevor der Vorhang ein letztes Mal schließt. Dennoch haben wir auch gute Nachrichten für dich:  Auch zukünftig musst du auf deine Kinohighlights in deutscher und englischer Sprache nicht verzichten. 
Wir bieten dir weiterhin fantastische Filmmomente in einem CineStar in deiner Nähe.

Damit dein erster Kinobesuch in deinem neuen Berliner CineStar unvergesslich bleibt, erhälst du von uns zudem ein 5 € Ticket, dass du vom 02.01.-29.02.2020 einlösen kannst. 

In unserem CineStar CUBIX am Alexanderplatz erlebst du die großen Filmstarts und Highlights in Originalversion an jedem Tag.

CUBIX am Alexanderplatz

Die Kulturbrauerei in Mitte zeigt regelmäßig montags und mittwochs sowie an ausgewählten Tagen deine Filmhighlights in Original mit Untertitel-Version. Außerdem erlebst du besondere Highlights auch in der Originalversion.

Kino in der Kulturbrauerei

In unseren anderen Berliner Häusern erlebst du deinen Lieblingsfilm in Originalversion am Original Sunday.

Hellersdorf, Tegel, Treptower Park, Wildau

Thanks for sharing! They didn’t send me anything, but I’ve been getting other emails from them non-stop. Probably still working through their mailing lists. Is there any other IMAX in Berlin?

I definitely recommend the Kino.de site and app for this. You can filter results by location and by OmU and OV (in the browser menu on the left, just scroll down). The selection will be significantly smaller with the removal of all of Cinestar screens at Potsdamer Platz but all is not lost.