Need US SIM card for receiving bank SMS verification

35 posts in this topic

I have various US financial accounts.  I believe all ask in your profile about whether to receive various alerts and if so, how would you like to receive them.  Since I use skype I check "Phone Call", not "Text".  When a verification is needed (I'm on my laptop), I receive a recorded call with the code number.  For other alerts, I check "Email".  Never had a problem.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, anotherAmericaninGermany said:

 

IT WORKED - thank you so very much !!!!

 

I had/have them but I didn't use the phone number for >6 months so they deactivated it.  So be careful that you don't lose the number like I did. 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CincyInDE said:

 

I had/have them but I didn't use the phone number for >6 months so they deactivated it.  So be careful that you don't lose the number like I did. 

 

 

Thank you for the tip. I got a number for 1 month to test and things are going well except getting a google voice number but am still investigating this. Have the 30 days marked on my calendar and will book it for another year probably and look for a long term solution on the way.

 

From what I have been able to find out, the "best" long-term solution is to get a real US phone number and have it ported to google voice, that way it remains yours independent of any company and what they might do in the future.

 

It seems the technology is called  VoIP SIP and the numbers are being handled, sold and rented like crazy. This can cause problems, because some verification services exclude numbers already in the system.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, karin_brenig said:

well, if anybody still has that problem, try OneSIMcard.com

https://www.onesimcard.com/SMS-verification-phone-numbers/

 

They charge a one time fee for setting you up with a US phone number, after that you just pay for the usage.

I set that up just in case Fi would ever decide they want to cancel their service for me. Works for short code SMS from financial institutions too.

 

I checked with them and was surprised at the various answers on their web site and the response to my email was not particularly encouraging either.
 

"This is a international service. The main number of the Onesimcard is a international number based in Estonia +372

We also have secondary phone numbers called PEN ( Personal Extra Numbers).

The PEN number is primarily for local residents so they have a way to call you without incurring long distance charges. Incoming calls from a PEN are not free to receive. The SIM user is charged $.20 per minute to receive these types of calls.

Your initial Onesimcard purchase will also include a Personal Extra Number (PEN) that is free to use for 30 days. This number can be extended after 30 days if desired.

This will be a secondary USA number if ordered from the USA"

 

Depending on how you read this, if you order a card from Europe, it won't even be a USA number but on the web site, they say something completely different.

 

It's the world of false advertising and please read the 500+ pages of fine print that we don't show you, this includes apple and co of course

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, catjones said:

I have various US financial accounts.  I believe all ask in your profile about whether to receive various alerts and if so, how would you like to receive them.  Since I use skype I check "Phone Call", not "Text".  When a verification is needed (I'm on my laptop), I receive a recorded call with the code number.  For other alerts, I check "Email".  Never had a problem.

 

Consider yourself lucky. It all depends on when and at which point the systems are. I have several accounts that are not a problem and those that are pain the the #@%

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, anotherAmericaninGermany said:

 

I checked with them and was surprised at the various answers on their web site and the response to my email was not particularly encouraging either.
 

"This is a international service. The main number of the Onesimcard is a international number based in Estonia +372

We also have secondary phone numbers called PEN ( Personal Extra Numbers).

The PEN number is primarily for local residents so they have a way to call you without incurring long distance charges. Incoming calls from a PEN are not free to receive. The SIM user is charged $.20 per minute to receive these types of calls.

Your initial Onesimcard purchase will also include a Personal Extra Number (PEN) that is free to use for 30 days. This number can be extended after 30 days if desired.

This will be a secondary USA number if ordered from the USA"

 

Depending on how you read this, if you order a card from Europe, it won't even be a USA number but on the web site, they say something completely different.

 

It's the world of false advertising and please read the 500+ pages of fine print that we don't show you, this includes apple and co of course

 

yes, the website is slightly confusing. But I was able to set up my PEN (no physical SIM needed) for the purpose of receiving verification SMS from various US institutions. I now read those within the OneSIM app (on my German O2 android phone) and also have them forwarded to my email address.

Works like a charm. And, yes, each incoming SMS costs money. If you want totally free, I wouldn't know what to recommend there.

 

You just have to really pay very close attention to were you click during the setup process.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Paypal is the only U.S. account that I have and can't access due to not having a U.S. number. I can also not close my account because I can't log in. Some nice person gave me a phone number for them and I confirmed and called it. After going through 10 minutes talking to their robot, I was told that they were unable to handle my call and to go to their Help page which is on their website. I can't log in.

 

I think all bank accounts in the U.S. offer Zelle money transfers for free within the U.S. . It is much easier than Paypal and I use it often. I can't shop with it but I have a debit card for that.

 

Without re-reading this thread, I'm not exactly sure what your needs are so forgive me.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, karin_brenig said:

 

yes, the website is slightly confusing. But I was able to set up my PEN (no physical SIM needed) for the purpose of receiving verification SMS from various US institutions. I now read those within the OneSIM app (on my German O2 android phone) and also have them forwarded to my email address.

Works like a charm. And, yes, each incoming SMS costs money. If you want totally free, I wouldn't know what to recommend there.

 

You just have to really pay very close attention to were you click during the setup process.

 

I understood that the PEN numbers have a monthly fee?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

Paypal is the only U.S. account that I have and can't access due to not having a U.S. number. I can also not close my account because I can't log in. Some nice person gave me a phone number for them and I confirmed and called it. After going through 10 minutes talking to their robot, I was told that they were unable to handle my call and to go to their Help page which is on their website. I can't log in.

 

I think all bank accounts in the U.S. offer Zelle money transfers for free within the U.S. . It is much easier than Paypal and I use it often. I can't shop with it but I have a debit card for that.

 

Without re-reading this thread, I'm not exactly sure what your needs are so forgive me.

 

I don't want to step on your toes or any other toes for that matter but you cannot even open an account with Apple = Apple-ID without a US Telephone number.

I will not make any assumptions about where it is or isn't needed, I need one and that is really all I care about.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, anotherAmericaninGermany said:

 

I understood that the PEN numbers have a monthly fee?

 

yes, $60 per year - so, $5 per month. I can handle that.

 

Plus, of course, the charges per message received.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, dw71111 said:

just to add I used sipgate in the past - if you have a Fritz!Box then you can configure such services to direct to a handset, and as long as that hanset can do sms it could work

 

some other options here - https://www.mydigitallife.net/how-to-get-us-phone-number-virtual-number-for-free/

 

13 hours ago, dw71111 said:

 

 

 

no, I tried that too - SIPGATE doesn't work for "verification" purposes. Regular plain SMS back and forth are fine, but not the ID/account verification short codes

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now