Hamburg to Munich

13 posts in this topic

Hi All, 

Family of 3. Driving from Hamburg to Munich. Will be in Munich for 5 nights. 

its a 8 hour trip. 

I wanted to know if I can take a halt for 3 or 4 hours in between to reduce the fatigue as I haven't driven for 8 hours at a stretch anytime. I could split the trip then for a 1 night stay in between if possible and then drive till Munich the next day. 

Expert comments appreciated.

People drive from Kiel to Zurich in 10- 12 hrs. It all depends upon your car, your stamina to drive. A break of 15 - 30 minutes per 2 hours of drive is recommended.  There is no limit of break. Its upto you to decide for which you will be comfortable. 

I make it to Bayreuth in 5 hours usually. I recommend driving on a Sunday it at all possible. there are plenty of rest stops along the way if you feel you need a break.

Definitely try to do at least one stretch on a weekend as truck traffic as you know is so heavy during the week. I prefer to take the eastern route these days via Hannover - Halle/Leipzig as the A7 seems to have a lot more trucks in general. If you want to spend a night around half-way and don't mind toodling off the highway a bit I recommend staying in Pottenstein at the Gasthof Goldene Krone. New rooms, great food in a friendly town.

Well I recommend taking the train. Several trains running per day. Plenty of time to play cards or read a book. No stress whatsoever and parking in Munich is crap anyway. Thats what we did when going from Munich to Hamburg and back for holiday.

If you have to take the car for whatever reason. I think stopping in Leipzig is worth it. Take a night in Lepzig enjoy the city. If family of three means a small kid involved my way to go would be starting really early in the morning. Advantage kid asleep at least half way. Then lunch break with city viewing Lepizig. Early night of sleep and early start for second leg of trip. Thats what we did with an 8 hours drive Munich to Croatia with a small child. Well obviously it wasnt Leipzig then where we stopped for a break.

Train is a good alternative since you don't need a car in Munich and you save money on the overnight stay.

Totally recommend the train for the reasons already mentioned but also as there is little chance of hitting traffic. I can't even count how many times I took the car on the premise that the drive should take two or three hours yet it took 4 to 7 due to unexpected traffic. Last thing I want on a drive of the duration you expect (already fairly long) is a longer delay due to traffic. Munich traffic is especially beastly but I've been stuck for hours in various places for no predictable reasons... just awful.

Yeah your train could theoretically be cancelled or late but at least you can do something else while you wait. 

Children under 15 travel free with parents on the train by the way.   A few trips, and sometimes even one,  and a railcard pays for itself but beware that they automatically renew unless you cancel in time.

Pick your day if you can - we drove back home yesterday (Saturday) to our place near Linz, Austria from wife's family near Frankfurt, about 600km. In many areas the roads were full, and I mean full. Seven hours going up there with long stops, 10 hours back with short stops, a few 30 min+ staus although we diverted around a couple. Even without so many trucks on weekends, If it's holiday time expect a lot longer than 8 hours and with the family onboard you may want several stops too. The train is good if you don't need a car while you're there. :)

On 21.12.2019, 22:19:00, lisa13 said:

Yeah your train could theoretically be cancelled or late but at least you can do something else while you wait. 

I think the train is better too. At least if you are going somewhere where you don't need a car.

Getting stuck in traffic happens a lot more imo than trains getting cancelled. Even if they do get cancelled DB will find you another route and you are mostly at you destination less than an hour late while a traffic jam can add multiple hours to your travel.

thanks all for the input. I finally drove to munchen and back. didn't feel tired. had multiple stops. 

the ICE was expense or would have taken the ICE

next time have to plan in advance.

Thanks alot for all your support.