Frankfurt Airport train station

14 posts in this topic

Probably a stupid question, but i have a friend visiting and she is landing in Frankfurt am Main after which she needs to use a train for Cologne. And she asked me what option is actually a airport train station, and frankly i am not sure myself. i assume its Frankfurt (M) Flughafen

Clipboard01.png

5 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Option "H"... :lol:

What a waste of word and so verbose when a simple "H" would suffice.

She should choose "Frankfurt Flughafen (airport) Fernbahnhof". There are 2 railway stations at Frankfurt airport. One for regional trains and the other for (faster) long distance trains. Fernbahnhof is the latter.

7 hours ago, Anto P said:

Probably a stupid question, but i have a friend visiting and she is landing in Frankfurt am Main after which she needs to use a train for Cologne. And she asked me what option is actually a airport train station, and frankly i am not sure myself. i assume its Frankfurt (M) Flughafen

Clipboard01.png

Firstly there are 2 Frankfurt's in Germany.

Frankfurt am Main (abreviated above to Frankfurt(M) or Frankfurt(MAIN)) lies on the Main river in the Hessen in the middle of Germany and has a major international airport.

Frankfurt an der Oder (abbreviated above to Frankfurt(Oder)) lies on the Oder river on the eastern border with Poland.  It does not have an international airport!

Frankfurt Airport (Flughafen) has 2 train stations

Frankfurt(M) Flughafen Fernbahnhof (Long distance, ICE, IC, trains)

Frankfurt(M) Flughafen Regionalbahnhof (Local trains, S-Bahn, RB)

So for taking the ICE train to Cologne your friend needs the Fernbahnhof

This is important when at the airport, as the two trains stations are in slightly different places!

But, if you select the wrong airport option, the app/website will just direct you to walk to the other station.  So for planning it is not a big deal.

The other options above are all different train stations in the Frankfurt(M) region.

7 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Option "H"... :lol:

Do you work in the computer industry?

Because this is technically correct, but totally useless information!!

:D

39 minutes ago, dj_jay_smith said:

But, if you select the wrong airport option, the app/website will just direct you to walk to the other station. 

Also signposts. 

The Fernbahnhof is close to Terminal 1... If she arives at Terminal 2, she has to take the shuttle Bus to Terminal 1, and that might take 30minutes...

29 minutes ago, franklan said:

The Fernbahnhof is close to Terminal 1... If she arives at Terminal 2, she has to take the shutle Bus to Terminal 2, and that might take 30minutes...

NOOOOOO!!!!  Don't take the shuttle bus.  Take Skyline.

Despite the hassle of all the stairs/escalators/lifts it is much quicker.

I made the mistake once of taking the bus and it took 35-40 minutes whereas the Skyline takes 10-15 (including a longer walk)

56 minutes ago, dj_jay_smith said:

Take Skyline.

Didn't know that one. Just looked it up and you're right.

11 minutes ago, franklan said:

Didn't know that one. Just looked it up and you're right.

I believe that if you follow the signs to/from the train stations then it actually leads you to the shuttle bus.  So you have to specifically look for the Skyline.

And it will be worse when T3 opens soon.  As I believe (not 100% sure) that there will then be 2 different skylines!  One serving T1 & T2 and the other link to T3.

27 minutes ago, dj_jay_smith said:

I believe that if you follow the signs to/from the train stations then it actually leads you to the shuttle bus.  So you have to specifically look for the Skyline.

Yep, this happened to me. I usually fly from Stuttgart so don't know Frankfurt that well. I followed the signs and ended up on a bus, thinking, "that's weird, I thought there was meant to be a little train thing!" Fortunately it didn't take all that long and I was in no hurry anyway, but I shall know for another time!

3 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

NOOOOOO!!!!  Don't take the shuttle bus.  Take Skyline.

Despite the hassle of all the stairs/escalators/lifts it is much quicker.

I made the mistake once of taking the bus and it took 35-40 minutes whereas the Skyline takes 10-15 (including a longer walk)

I'm a frequent flyer out of FRA.  The Skyline saves time - when it is operational.  My experience is that nearly half of the times I am there it is out of service, either because it is broken, or for "security reasons."

The worst part is that you have to walk way into the terminal before you see the "out of service" sign.

I learned the hard way to assume I will have to take the transfer bus, so I plan my schedule accordingly.   Trying to run through FRA to catch a plane or train really sucks.