Second Income and Tax Question

2 posts in this topic

Hello All, 

After searching the forum and failed to find similar situation, I am writing this question. 

I am a foreigner (non-EU citizen), working full time in Berlin and hold a Blue Card Visa. I recently applied for "Niederlassungserlaubnis" and is still in progress. I am married and my wife is not working; so we have the tax classes 3 and 5. 

Meanwhile, I got permission to start working as a freelance photographer from my current employer and the terms are added to my contract. 

My questions are following: 

1. Is there a limit for my second income?

2. I currently use joint (my wife and I) Tax ID for the second income. Is this the right way?

3. If I have to register/get a different permission from the government for exceeding the limits of second income, what would that be?

My second income is more than 1500EUR/month. 

Looking forward for your advice. Thanks in advance!

Best Regards, 

Jack

50 minutes ago, jackphoto said:

I am a foreigner (non-EU citizen), working full time in Berlin and hold a Blue Card Visa

And the supplement to your Blue Card says that, in addition to permanent employment, you can also work self employed?

1. Is there a limit for my second income?

No. The more you earn, the more taxes the state gets from you. However, there are limits to working hours and your employer must ensure that they are respected. 

2. I currently use joint (my wife and I) Tax ID for the second income. Is this the right way?

After (!) you have registered with the tax office, completed and submitted the questionnaire for tax registration, the tax office will inform you which tax number you have to use.

3. If I have to register/get a different permission from the government for exceeding the limits of second income, what would that be?

You need to register with the tax office (with the forum search you can find countless threads on the topic, you can also find information in the Wiki) –  and with more than 18000€ turnover you are also above the turnover limit for small entrepreneurs (Kleinunternehmer) - so you have to show the VAT in your invoices, collect it, pay it to the tax office and do a monthly "Umsatzsteuervoranmeldung" (this topic has also been discussed endlessly).