Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

ASPCA equivalent to call?

13 posts in this topic

Is there anyone to call who will help out animals in need, say the duck with a massive fishing lure attached to its beak, or the swan with the plastic line around its neck I saw the week before?  Or should I just be a good German and take it out of its misery (or maybe being a good German in this case would be to wallow in the Schadenfreude knowing the slow miserable death that awaits the little creatures?)  

And if there is a number to call, do they actually find / save the animals?  

Not sure which you are more confused about,  the concept of Schadenfreude or German character.   The fire brigade here recently freed an obese rat that had got caught in a manhole cover, and released it.   Police stop traffic to let ducks and chicks cross roads.    For birds I would email  Berlin Wildvogelstation.  Contact details on the NABU website. 

http://berlin.nabu.de/stadt-und-natur/projekte-nabu-berlin/wildvogelstation/index.html 

1 hour ago, shockedpenguin said:

Or should I just be a good German and take it out of its misery (or maybe being a good German in this case would be to wallow in the Schadenfreude knowing the slow miserable death that awaits the little creatures?)  

As a good US-American, you'd have to kill the animal with a drone controlled from your living room while you're eating a hamburger and pouring Diet Coke into yourself. And then explain to the world that you didn't kill the bird, but freed it in the name of democracy and freedom, right? 

2 hours ago, shockedpenguin said:

Is there anyone to call who will help out animals in need, say the duck with a massive fishing lure attached to its beak, or the swan with the plastic line around its neck I saw the week before?  Or should I just be a good German and take it out of its misery (or maybe being a good German in this case would be to wallow in the Schadenfreude knowing the slow miserable death that awaits the little creatures?)  

And if there is a number to call, do they actually find / save the animals?  

yes, 112          https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tierrettung

§ 2 Aufgaben der Feuerwehr

(1) Die Feuerwehr hat 1. bei Schadenfeuer (Bränden) und öffentlichen Notständen Hilfe zu leisten und den Einzelnen und das Gemeinwesen vor hierbei drohenden Gefahren zu schützen und

2. zur Rettung von Menschen und Tieren aus lebensbedrohlichen Lagen technische Hilfe zu leisten.

37 minutes ago, tor said:

you are gonna fit in well here...

Many thank yous.  Sometimes to get a reaction out of internet denizens, you've got to give them a little pinch.  

40 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

yes, 112          https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tierrettung

§ 2 Aufgaben der Feuerwehr

(1) Die Feuerwehr hat 1. bei Schadenfeuer (Bränden) und öffentlichen Notständen Hilfe zu leisten und den Einzelnen und das Gemeinwesen vor hierbei drohenden Gefahren zu schützen und

2. zur Rettung von Menschen und Tieren aus lebensbedrohlichen Lagen technische Hilfe zu leisten.

I almost prefaced my entry requesting something other than 112.  Thanks for the citation!  

Does anyone know if I'm legally obligated to wait for emergency services to come or may I continue my life as usual?  Yes, this could definitely impact whether I call or not, unfortunately. 

And just to be clear (and referring to Berlin specifically), do they save the animals or are they just gassing them?  In the latter case, if there's any other options for the little tikes, please interject.  

Gassing them?  Iz this seeriuz post or are you trolling (Probably A Mod)?

I've seen eight-man crews go out in little ice-breaking boats on the canal during winter to save stuck swans, fire-brigade coming out with cherry-pickers, ropes, and other assorted longish pole-shaped things with stuff on the ends in order to free and save ailing animals.  Where they're taken after that--when necessary--I don't know.  What I do know is that Tierheim Berlin is full of every sort of animal you can think of and the staff there apparently able to care for them (although I don't know that they specifically keep wild animals for any period of time after their convalescent period is over).

Gassing?!!?  In 20-some-odd years fupping about on the internet, 13 years in Germany, 11 years writing on this forum and seven years moderating this forum, I have never ever once said what I am about to say:

Are you sure you wouldn't be happier just fucking back off to wherever it is you came from?  

I mean, I am LITERALLY the last person to hold a wee bit of griping about our sometimes scratchy host nation against someone, what with all of their things and ways that can vex and annoy us foreigners almost no matter how long we live here.  But if you really, truly believe that first responders show up to free an animal from a fence or help it out of a sewer drain cover just to take it somewhere and cackle evilly while sending it to the gas chambers, like, Germany probably isn't the place for you, pal.  I don't know if anywhere is, but Germany fo damn sho ain't it.  Just saying.  

"Wow" doesn't begin to cover it.  

Not these days, animals are well cared for. You sound a bit confused.

Oddly though I did recently see and photograph a sad silver metal sign under the bridge on Voltairestr. at the back of Alexa shopping center (on the right hand side of the bridge as you come from the Shopping center) that talks about the gassing and electrocuting of countless cats and dogs in the Tierheim of Ost-Berlin in the DDR until Feb 1991 ("Im diesem Gebäude befand sich der Tierheim von Ost-Berlin. Bis Februar 1991 wurden unzählige Katzen und Hunde vergast oder durch Stromschlag grausam getotet" Akionsgemeinschaft Tierhilfe e.v.). I tried to include it but the photo would not upload, despite me making it very small. 

That was then. This is now. 

Also before pointing fingers, in the UK animals are put to sleep by injection if they are considered dangerous. This also happened if they were in the kennels too long and not adopted. I don't know if that happens now.  There was a famous old advert by the RSPCA about the dogs that are abandoned, with a mound of dogs.

https://chrismuir1.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/rspca-dead-dogs-small.png

You cannot euthanize animals in Germany just because you like it. For any reputable vet to put down an animal, it needs to be ill and suffering or proven to be dangerous. It doesn't matter how long the animal is in the shelter, waiting to be adopted: you cannot put down a healthy animal! Unlike in some other countries. 

The raccoon was killed because it is considered an invasive species, not because it was drunk :D

For those who are actually interested, the word you are looking for is 

Tierrettung - often volunteers, some professionals who, if they cannot help, should be able to direct you to someone who can. 

Some links: 

https://www.tierrettungberlinbrandenburg.de 

https://www.wildtierrettung.de 

https://www.morgenpost.de/berlin/article206505487/Wildtiere-in-Not-Hier-gibt-es-Erste-Hilfe-in-Berlin.html 

If you witness anyone mistreating an animal, you can contact your local Veterinäramt. 

1 hour ago, BradinBayern said:

You say "invasive species", I say "drunken American expat!"  ;) 

:lol::lol:

Thank you for making me laugh on a stupid, boring Wednesday afternoon!