private health insurance cash back on termination

4 posts in this topic

Hi,

I terminated my private health insurance because of a premium increase.

The contract I terminated had a cash back clause in it. I was supposed to get a certain sum middle of next year. If I did not made any insurance claims, of course.

So my question is : can I expect the insurer to send the cash back sum (pro-rata the time I was insured, 11 months) ? Should I write them a letter asking for it (a link to a template would be great) ?

(just for the record, I tried to contact the insurer about it but they would not reply to mails written in English)

It depends on exactly what is in your contract. Most companies require that you still be a member in good standing, so if your contract says something like "das letzte Jahr ungekündigt und ohne Beitragsrückstände" as a condition for getting a rebate, then the answer is no.

Just curious: how will you be insured now that you have terminated your policy?

Thanks for the quick reply, I will check my contract (but I guess I should not have high hopes of seeing the money back ...)
To answer your question : I just switched to another insurer, but I am still on private insurance.

21 hours ago, johnprieto said:

Hi,

I terminated my private health insurance because of a premium increase.

The contract I terminated had a cash back clause in it. I was supposed to get a certain sum middle of next year. If I did not made any insurance claims, of course.

So my question is : can I expect the insurer to send the cash back sum (pro-rata the time I was insured, 11 months) ? Should I write them a letter asking for it (a link to a template would be great) ?

(just for the record, I tried to contact the insurer about it but they would not reply to mails written in English)

no, they won't pay this no-claims bonus to you, neither in full nor pro-rata.
In all such contracts, there is a clause that the bonus will only be paid out if you are still a client at the point when it is due. Since that is usually around May/June with most insurance companies, anyone who switches by the turn of the year (either by giving normal notice or giving special notice due to increase in premium) will always lose out on the next bonus payment.

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.