Losing WLAN connection

40 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, catjones said:

any chance you could spend some time at your neighbor's?  Perhaps buy them dinner while you monitor the laptop.

That would have to wait until after the winter as they don´t turn on the heating and leave the door permanently open so that doggies can roam freely. Too cold for my liking. I´d rather restar my laptop every now and then.

There are a few possibles.  It could be, as suggested, an IP conflict, or a dodgy driver, or bad piece of hardware, or any number of other things.

Honestly there is no way for anyone to diagnose this remotely, and in my experience even being there it often impossible to nail it down to anything firm and you often get "try this, maybe it helps".

In summary, I dont think you will get any really helpful advice here or anywhere else.  If it starts to be a real issue, you obviously cannot make changes ot the router, and you dont have the technical knowledge to go poking about in your laptop config, maybe its worth investing in a low cost usb wifi stick.

Go back to the telegraph and slide rule.  Much more reliable and will teach you to be more sophisticated and introspective.  ;)

But seriously, check your  devolo powerline adapter and make sure no one else is using the line - this would probably only be an issue if you are living in a multi-unit housing with more than one person sharing electricity.  

18 hours ago, zwiebelfisch said:

In summary, I dont think you will get any really helpful advice here or anywhere else.  If it starts to be a real issue, you obviously cannot make changes ot the router, and you dont have the technical knowledge to go poking about in your laptop config, maybe its worth investing in a low cost usb wifi stick.

Buying a usb wifi stick is helpful advice already. I wasn´t aware they exist. Will try that.

If it's the config that is confused, then this may help.

However, if the network is truely unavailable, then it won't help you...

Press windows key and X key at the same time. Then click at Command Prompt. Type ipconfig /release at the Command Prompt window, press Enter, it will release the current IP configuration. Type ipconfig /renew at the Command Prompt window, wait for a while, the DHCP server will assign a new IP address for your computer. 

On 1/12/2020, 1:24:01, HH_Sailor said:

If it's the config that is confused, then this may help.

However, if the network is truely unavailable, then it won't help you...

Press windows key and X key at the same time. Then click at Command Prompt. Type ipconfig /release at the Command Prompt window, press Enter, it will release the current IP configuration. Type ipconfig /renew at the Command Prompt window, wait for a while, the DHCP server will assign a new IP address for your computer. 

This doesn`t work btw.

Seven weeks on @jeba... how is it now?  I had the same issue on the PC.  I had a TP Link WIFI stick.  Gave up the ghost after roughly 2 years.  Before that, it would shut off and back on several times a day.  Was no the router!  Bought new one with no issues.

Seems Wifi hardware are no well made.  On laptops they tend to malfunction before any other piece of hardware and usb wifi sticks also have a short life expectancy.

6 hours ago, BayrischDude said:

Seven weeks on @jeba... how is it now?  I had the same issue on the PC.  I had a TP Link WIFI stick.  Gave up the ghost after roughly 2 years.  Before that, it would shut off and back on several times a day.  Was no the router!  Bought new one with no issues.

Seems Wifi hardware are no well made.  On laptops they tend to malfunction before any other piece of hardware and usb wifi sticks also have a short life expectancy.

Same old problem. Meanwhile it has spread to my tablet and my spare laptop (but strangely never to my cellphone). So I doubt it´s a problem of those three but one of the router. That´s why I haven´t even tried the USB wifi stick.

1 hour ago, jeba said:

Same old problem. Meanwhile it has spread to my tablet and my spare laptop (but strangely never to my cellphone). So I doubt it´s a problem of those three but one of the router. That´s why I haven´t even tried the USB wifi stick.

Did you try 

https://www.pcwdld.com/wifi-heat-map-software-tools

It will show you how strong the WIFI signal is, if you put it on Notebook, you can walk around your place, and find the best reception areas(s)- when your devices start going wrong, you can see if the signal strength has dropped in comparison to when its working ok. This will tell you, if the router is pushing out different amounts of signal strength at different times of the day.

14 hours ago, yesterday said:

Did you try 

https://www.pcwdld.com/wifi-heat-map-software-tools

It will show you how strong the WIFI signal is, if you put it on Notebook, you can walk around your place, and find the best reception areas(s)- when your devices start going wrong, you can see if the signal strength has dropped in comparison to when its working ok. This will tell you, if the router is pushing out different amounts of signal strength at different times of the day.

Thanks. Will look into it

15 hours ago, jeba said:

I'm no IT'ler and know little of Tablets, but this sounds near on as I described.  With a mobile device, the wifi is integrated into the mainboard.  With a laptop or desktop it is either a stick, card (slotted) or a small card soldered or plugged onto the board.  These tend to go out of use rather quickly.  As a tablet is nearly the same as a laptop - mainboard wise.  Again I am not that up on technology as I used to be and the last time I built a laptop was four years ago, but it could be the wifi hardware of the devices.

Maybe...

Mobiles do have an uncanny ability to lose and reconnect quite quickly and seamlessly.  So I'd like to ask, are you looking at the name of the router on your mobile when checking or just ensuring it has wifi? 

All of these devices have a short life span, which we all despice.  Digital TVs, PC, Tablets, etc.  Routers are no different.  Vodafone gave me a new one after I argued to no end that four years on, it was unhealthy.  When the technician arrived, he agreed that it wasn't working like it did when new and installed a new one. 

If you have the experience and it does not cancel your warranty, I do have two suggestions that would involve about a day's work.

Do a clean reinstall of Windows or Linux (I know FA about apple) on both.  It could be a matter of drivers not being installed correctly.  Also, before doing so (hense warranty), take them apart of remove any dust that might have accumulated inside.  Dust can cause serious issues in computers since they can carry electricity from one point to another.  it keeps the devices running better when they are dust free. 

You built a laptop?     or do you meant that you "configured your own laptop..

Non the less...  This is almost certainly clashes IP addresses and is probably not going to be an easy fix... 

34 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

You built a laptop?     or do you meant that you "configured your own laptop..

Non the less...  This is almost certainly clashes IP addresses and is probably not going to be an easy fix... 

Yes, built.  I did not build each individual piece of hardware.  Been doing so for about 25 years.  To include the CMOS. 

Sp, you could be correct.  Jeba could log into the router's admin and add each MAC address for all devices and make the router private rather than public.

Using https://www.pcwdld.com/wifi-heat-map-software-tools, will show which IP addresses each device is using, so you can also debug   IP clashes .

The OP, also said on page 1, that he is using a neighbours router, maybe his neighbours is  not happy for the OP to login to the router and mess with the allowed MAC adresses !!, maybe looking his neighbours out, of his own router.

1 hour ago, BayrischDude said:

Yes, built.  I did not build each individual piece of hardware.  Been doing so for about 25 years.  To include the CMOS. 

Explain... did you buy the carsase, then the mother board, then the KB to fit in the carcase?    or did you buy a naked laptop and built/structured the software/firmawre?

3 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Your IP addrees is NOT your MAC adress... 

Fully aware SP.  I have the MAC addresses added to my router.   See here

Yes, again been doing so for donkey's age both laptops and desktops...case, mobo, ram, HHD or SSD, video, audio, flashing BIOS, etc. 

17 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Your IP addrees is NOT your MAC adress... 

No of course not.

But some very security minded people, like to define only certain IP addresses can access the network and define that they are fixed rather than floating and define its MAC ( machine address code - the unique code for each device) to make it extra hard to get into a network. Defining everything will help reduce problems

Of course its a pain in the .., if you daughter comes to visit and you have to bugger around with the router so she can use your internet connection rather than just giving her the network password.

On 4.2.2020, 17:42:15, BayrischDude said:

Yes, again been doing so for donkey's age both laptops and desktops...case, mobo, ram, HHD or SSD, video, audio, flashing BIOS, etc. 

I simply dont beleive that you bought all the parts for a laptop and built it from scratch... ok.. RAM Hard drive and OS.. maybe.. probably... 

On 2/5/2020, 7:08:10, SpiderPig said:

I simply dont beleive that you bought all the parts for a laptop and built it from scratch... ok.. RAM Hard drive and OS.. maybe.. probably... 

He didn't build a laptop.