Losing WLAN connection

40 posts in this topic

My laptop is sometimes losing it´s WLAN connection even though the router is still working (which I know from my tablet and cell still being connected). When I restart it it will pick it up again. It happens unpredictably. It´s always placed in the same spot, maybe 4 m from the router (or devolo powerline adapter which is linked to my neighbour´s router - to be correct).  Sometimes not for weeks and sometimes 5 times a day. Any suggestions what the reason could be and what to do?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I assume that it has previously worked OK with the same laptop, and that this is a new problem.

It could be many things:

 

IP Address clash (as per SpiderPig above)

Interference.  Try switching your router to use a different WiFi channel and see if that helps.

Driver problem.  Update the drivers.  Try downloading them directly from the manufacturers website and not just use Windows update.

Update the firmware on your router.  

Do a router reboot also to be sure.

The Wifi network could also be overloaded.  

 

It could also be that the WifI card/component in your Laptop is broken.  So you either need a new laptop, or buy a plug-in USB Wifi card.

 

I also read that disabling the service "RunSWUSB" will also sometimes help (if you have it).

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

He cant do anything with the router as it is not his.. he is cheap-skating it and using his neighbours

 

Yes, but he obviously has an agreement with the neighbour so could ask him/her to do it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dj_jay_smith said:

I assume that it has previously worked OK with the same laptop, and that this is a new problem.

Actually, the problem occured last year already but hasn´t for a couple of months until it started again a week or so ago.

When I´m connecting to my neighbour´s router directly (signal strenth is almost as good where the laptop is placed) it´s the same.

1 hour ago, dj_jay_smith said:

IP Address clash

What is that? Shouldn´t my tablet have the same IP adress as it´s connected to the same router.

1 hour ago, dj_jay_smith said:

Update the drivers.  Try downloading them directly from the manufacturers website and not just use Windows update.

Wouldn´t know how to do that so I paid for a AVG subscrition and that app updated drivers.

 

1 hour ago, dj_jay_smith said:

Update the firmware on your router.  

Don´t even know what that is. Shouldn´t that be done by the AVG app?

 

1 hour ago, dj_jay_smith said:

Do a router reboot also to be sure.

Done already to no avail.

 

1 hour ago, dj_jay_smith said:

It could also be that the WifI card/component in your Laptop is broken.  So you either need a new laptop, or buy a plug-in USB Wifi card.

I actually did buy a new laptop when I was in Germany 3 months ago (and it works fine). But I don´t feel like using it as I grew to love my old windows 8 one and am horrified by the thought of having to familiarize myself with windows 10.

 

1 hour ago, dj_jay_smith said:

The Wifi network could also be overloaded.  

I doubt it very much as my neighbours are hardly using it and it drops even at night or when the neighbours are walking our dogs. On the other hand, it´s not a DSL internet line but "long range wifi" as they call it. You probably won´t find that in Germany but here in Cyprus it works like a very powerful router some 20 km away (at least that´s what I understood).

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If your new laptop works without any problems then we can assume that it is a problem with your old/current laptop and not the router.

 

But then you also have your solution.   Use the new one and get used to Win10.  It is safer, quicker, and once you get used to it then better (not perfect!).

There is no point spending effort to debug a problem on such old HW when you have such a simple solution.

 

I mean why fork out money for a new laptop that you don't want to use because of Win10!  Then why did you buy it?

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you know deep down that this is the simplest solution, jeba.

 

These new things are never as awful as you think they are going to be - why not stock up with your favourite food/drink, set aside a morning or afternoon, and 'meet' your new windows 10 computer in a relaxed and comfortable place.

 

You may never be best buddies, but all you need is a decent working relationship, and that should be possible.

 

I do feel your pain, but technology forces us to have serial partners, even when we like the old one still. Crap, but there it is.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jeba said:

What is that? Shouldn´t my tablet have the same IP adress as it´s connected to the same router.

 

No, no no - thats not how IP addresses work.  Each address on the LAN needs to be unique.

How its presented to the outside world via the router is another matter.

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

I mean why fork out money for a new laptop that you don't want to use because of Win10!  Then why did you buy it?

As a backup if there is no other solution and because I wanted a laptop with a German keyboard which you´ll not find in Cyprus.

 

3 hours ago, kiplette said:

I think you know deep down that this is the simplest solution, jeba.

But I´m refusing to acknowledge it :D

 

So for now I´ll rather restart my old laptop a couple of times per day. I was hoping someoe could recommend a program which could fix the problem.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the average user there is not much difference between Windows 8 and Windows 10, the biggest difference is that the traditional Start Menu is back, the rest is just visual differences that any normal user can figure out after an hour or so.    I think, like it happens quite often, you are making a huge drama for nothing.   

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could download and use for free a tool like this

https://www.pcwdld.com/wifi-heat-map-software-tools

 

It shows you the relative signal strength, in different parts of your living area.

 

It could, well be that your laptop, is old and the WIFI card is not the best anymore, and your Laptop is in a low reception part of your living area. If you use the above program, it can show you ( maybe ) a better place to put the Laptop ( ie more signal strength ). Which may work better there...   - on many routers you can boost the radio frequency to get better results 

 

Also, some of the apps, shows you, if you are using the same radio frequency as someone else, next store, thus making it harder to pick up, the above program will show you that, you can then change it, to get better reception.

 

The other thing to think about, is that WIFI reception is affect by micro- wave ovens and other electronic items that leak, on certain wave lengths. it could be that the reason the signal drops is because  the person  next-door is cooking or has the washing machine on. If so, change the radio frequency.

 

I guess you tried, just reconnecting to the WIFI, without re-starting the whole machine ?

 

the program, will help you say what's going on with the Wi-Fi in your area, there are many other free and paid for programs that can help - but you still have to understand what its tell you - sorry.

 

 

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with the advice here but with one caveat:  the only times I've had connectivity problems has been with windows 10, and it's always followed an update.  I had the same router and two and a half different laptops in the first 6 years living here, and the older machines (one with win 7, the other with...oh gosh I don't remember - I think it was XP) never dropped connections.  ever. On the rare occasion I lost connectivity my dsl was really out of commission.

 

I also know it's not my router (at least not on its own) as my phone and tablet are fully online while my laptop is whining that I have no internet access and should reset the router.  I do, and it fixes the problem but there have been a few times where the laptop would misplace the internet multiple times a day.  a new update always fixed it.  Never found an explanation for this nor any sure fire solution aside from turning my router on and off.  It's pretty annoying when it happens.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

I agree with the advice here but with one caveat:  the only times I've had connectivity problems has been with windows 10, and it's always followed an update.  I had the same router and two and a half different laptops in the first 6 years living here, and the older machines (one with win 7, the other with...oh gosh I don't remember - I think it was XP) never dropped connections.  ever. On the rare occasion I lost connectivity my dsl was really out of commission.

 

I also know it's not my router (at least not on its own) as my phone and tablet are fully online while my laptop is whining that I have no internet access and should reset the router.  I do, and it fixes the problem but there have been a few times where the laptop would misplace the internet multiple times a day.  a new update always fixed it.  Never found an explanation for this nor any sure fire solution aside from turning my router on and off.  It's pretty annoying when it happens.

 

 

Was it a Dell laptop?

 

My father has had similar problems with his Dell and it always seems to be some compatibility problem with the driver and Win10.  The last few major updates have worked OK however.

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the really old half-laptop (half as I only used it for a short time and it was on its last legs throughout its time here) was a dell, but my current ride is an hp.  I had the most problems with it about 6 months ago.  I have no doubt it's a "special" problem,  as it's likely some kind of weird interaction between the machine, windows, and my network for which there is no clear solution.  Nevertheless it's pretty damned annoying and it does seem to be directly associated with updates.  Which we can no longer block with win 10.  Hate that.

 

oh!  and another rant about automatic updates:  the last one turned off windows defender. 

 

I'm not a windows hater, but sometimes... :)

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, yesterday said:

t could, well be that your laptop, is old and the WIFI card is not the best anymore, and your Laptop is in a low reception part of your living area.

So maybe replacing the WIFI card would help even though the signal is strong (usually 4 or 5 bars)?

 

4 hours ago, yesterday said:

The other thing to think about, is that WIFI reception is affect by micro- wave ovens and other electronic items that leak, on certain wave lengths. it could be that the reason the signal drops is because  the person  next-door is cooking or has the washing machine on. If so, change the radio frequency.

Unlikely, as it happens even at night when there are no devices running.

 

4 hours ago, yesterday said:

I guess you tried, just reconnecting to the WIFI, without re-starting the whole machine ?

You guessed correctly.

 

3 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

Was it a Dell laptop?

No, it´s an ASUS.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

any chance you could spend some time at your neighbor's?  Perhaps buy them dinner while you monitor the laptop.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now