Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Frugal Meals - Recipes and Cost

41 posts in this topic

Eggs and toast.  

Eggs cost 15-20 cents 

slice of bread 5-10 cents

Butter 5-10 cents

75g of vollkornmehl. Water ,  oil, salt for chapathis. 

Spinat, potatoes , garlic , ginger and garam masala for Aalu palak

Should not cost much

Home-made crunchy coleslaw, i.e. grated white cabbage and carrot in a mustard/yoghurt/oil sauce. Doesn't get any healthier than that.

Fried mashed pototates with carrots and swede added. Fry an onion and a few bacon bits with it. Yummy.

You can also go to the market later on the day and buy a lot of vegetables cheap and make a ratatouille: for 3 servings you need 2 medium onions, 3 paprika (red/green/yellow), 1 zucchini, 1 aubergine. If you have garlic and carrot, you can add those as well. Use herbs de provence. Cook some rice with it. This HEALTHY meal will cost you ca. €1,- per serving.

Creamy carrot soup- for two.

Today, I used half a kilo of carrots, one onion, some garlic, vegetable cubes (Maggi) , small amount of olive oil, water, salt, pepper, teeny weeny amount of chili paste and a few drops of coconut milk. Bit of fresh mint.

Served piping hot on this damp day here. Crispy bread to dip into the soup!

All available at the local mini market.

Total cost? Dunno but maybe 1-2 euros.

Healthy, nourishing, economical, easy to make and tasty and not too time consuming.

Plus, there’s the bonus that you can buy a different vegetable another day to make something similar and it takes quite an effort to run out of most of the ingredients- olive oil, salt, pepper, stock cubes, an onion here and there etc- so you can carry on eating economically and healthily.

38 minutes ago, john g. said:

Creamy carrot soup- for two.

Today, I used half a kilo of carrots, one onion, some garlic, vegetable cubes (Maggi) , small amount of olive oil, water, salt, pepper, teeny weeny amount of chili paste and a few drops of coconut milk. Bit of fresh mint.

Served piping hot on this damp day here. Crispy bread to dip into the soup!

All available at the local mini market.

Total cost? Dunno but maybe 1-2 euros.

Healthy, nourishing, economical, easy to make and tasty and not too time consuming.

Beware of the Maggi vegetable cubes they are not "healthy". I love making homemade soups.  Stopped using those seasoning cubes because of the unhealthy processed ingredients. It's a challenge imparting the depth of flavor in soups without using these types of products. So what I use instead are spices and homemade vegetable and bone broth for my soups.  Same for those chili making packs made by Maggi you can get in the groceries or similiar products that comes in those small packs for making soups etc  stopped using them all. 

Here's the list of ingredients in the Maggi Cubes. 

Salt, Sugar, Monosodium Glutamate, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Palm Olein), Corn Starch, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Onion Powder, Spices, Garlic Powder, Turmeric, Dried Leek, Dried Red Pepper, Disodium Inosinate, Tbhq (Preservative).

Thanks for that, Lavender! Tip appreciated!

:rolleyes:

Any bio-stock cubes you could recommend?

6 hours ago, jubinjohn said:

Should not cost much

Appreciated, especially as I love Indian food!

Could you explain a bit how the chapatis and alu palak are made?

Remember, this is the thread to save clueless students. :)

30 minutes ago, Lavender Rain said:

Nope, stopped using those kind of products.  Are you curious what the TBHQ preservative is this is it.

I do not use it much but sometimes Al Nautral chicken stock

Ingredients

Meersalz, Glukosesirup*, Maisstärke*, Hühnerfleischpulver* 9,5% ,Rohrohrzucker*, Geflügelbrühe* (Wasser, Truthahnkarkasse*, Huhnkarkasse*), Zwiebelpulver* 1,1%, Hühnerfett* 1,1%,Karamellzucker*, SELLERIE* 0,2%, Kurkuma*, Koriandersamen*, Petersilie*,Knoblauch*, Rosmarin*, Liebstöckelblätter*, Geflügelfett* *ausbiologischer Landwirtschaft

The Maggi Brühwurfel in Germany are also TBHQ free.  The ingredients list you gave seems to come from the USA product.  I think they taste nasty none the less though!

9 hours ago, jubinjohn said:

Should not cost much

Lentil soups and dals also cost pennies and go well with chapathis.

3 hours ago, Lavender Rain said:

Beware of the Maggi vegetable cubes they are not "healthy".  

My wife has banned those things in the house. I have to keep a low sodium diet, so I don't get them anyway, but I sometimes get a craving for broth flavor in my soups. I managed to find a decent substitute that is low in sodium and doesn't have all the junk in it: https://www.reformhausshop24.de/unsere-markenwelt/cenovis/cenovis-klare-gemuesebruehe-bio-natriumarm-96g/a-35167/?ReferrerID=7&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI696avPa15gIVEc53Ch1M7gkCEAQYAyABEgIKsfD_BwE

But it is expensive when you compare to the Maggi stuff.

One problem is cravings! I succumb easily.

Yep, try to eat healthily and all the rest of it.

BUT when I see Jaffa cakes.. sigh. After a fairly spicy lunch today- there they were in the cabinet. 

Orange-flavoured and don’t break your teeth. Cup of coffee and eight or nine of the buggers.

3 hours ago, Metall said:

Appreciated, especially as I love Indian food!

Could you explain a bit how the chapatis and alu palak are made?

Remember, this is the thread to save clueless students. :)

Chapati

We need a frying pan, and a roller

Add 2 tablespoons of oil and salt to  vollkornmehl. Add lukewarm water  into the flour in small quantities and mix well using hand until the dough sticks together and get a ball shape. 

Make small spheres out of big lump of dough  of around 5cm diameter using both palms.

Put some dry flour on counter top and roll the spheres flat using a roller.

Throw it in hot frying pan with a little or no oil.  We should see air bubbles show up on chappathi and turns a bit dark 

Alu palak

Add some oil to a frying pan, and fry chopped garlic and ginger

Once they turn golden brown add chopped potatoes . Add garam masala ,  salt and keep it closed until cooked. 

Add chopped spinat into it and let it cook while keeping the lid closed. 

Garam masala sometimes contain  chilly powder in it. If it is too much hot , one can try a custom built version, but then it become expensive. You need

1. Fennel seeds - two table spoon

2. Cinnamon - a pinch

3. Star anise - 1

4. Muscat - a pinch

5. Cardomon - 1 seed from a peeled shell

6. Cummins seeds - a pinch

Fry the above in a pan for a very short time , then grind it. Be careful , they turn brown very fast. 

44 minutes ago, Kommentarlos said:

Lentil soups and dals also cost pennies and go well with chapathis.

Totally agree,

Another one, mung beans or green gram. We can find it in any srilankan or indian stores.

Soak a half cup of that in water overnight. Then add salt ,pepper and garlic, and let cook in a pot. Add kokosraspel if one needs it fancy.  

I like it with rice or chapati

On 13.12.2019, 17:17:26, snowingagain said:

It is also worth remembering that some people living in very cheap accommodation have limited cooking facilities, limited fridge space, no freezer, and few utensils, blah blah blah

Who needs cooking facilities?  https://jalopnik.com/the-ten-best-recipes-for-cooking-with-your-car-5913336

https://www.amazon.de/dp/0375751408?slotNum=0&ascsubtag=0bd1dd5931de0f6f6205ebdc5bbb0c250d3e6c54&linkCode=g12&imprToken=2DYzjTIUNN1p6CU0dl1xYQ&creativeASIN=0375751408&tag=gawker0b-21

1 hour ago, optimista said:

@Jubingohn: keep those recipes coming, please!

I agree! More, please!

cheap, tasty, and doesn’t need soaking/long prep time. Also, full of protein, which is often lacking in cheap food solutions. 

Mung dal 

1 cup of mung dal, about 700ml water (add more as required), 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp turmeric

bring to a boil, skim off the orange scum, simmer until done. I usually eat this with rice. 

the dal is about 3€ for a whole package. turmeric also, but that lasts forever. 

but make sure it’s mung dal. I recently saw “bio dhal Linsen” and that is not the same :)

Bean Stew

Cabonossi sausage (€2,94 approx)

Bacon chunks (€1,99 approx)

Kidney beans  (39 cents approx)

Large white butter beans (79 cents approx)

Can of spicy chopped tomatos (€1,39 approx)

Onion.

One spoon of brown sugar

Mustard

Serves 4 people (approx)

Get a large pot, fry the bacon and Onion, chop the cabonossi sausage and add to the pot.

Add the spicy chopped tomatos and stir well.

Add one spoon of brown sugar and mustard to the sauce.

Then pour the beans in and let it simmer for 20 minutes until beans are soft.

Stir well, then serve :)