Protecting Parking spot with Lawyer App?

42 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

So, if someone parks on your private spot in front of your garage blocking your car in, it is not a police matter.  But if you block them in with your second car, by parking on private property the police will do something?

If it is all on private property then I am not sure, probably not.  But if it is on the street, then yes. 

So if they park on private property blocking your garage it is a civil matter, but if you then park so close on the street behind them that they can't get out then that is an offence.  

20 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

Is your parking spot on private property?  Or just the road in front of your garage?

If it is private property then it is a civil matter, but if they are on the road and block your garage then this is a criminal offence and you can call the police.  If they actually do something is another story however!  

The signs are actually not legally binding.  Which means that you don't have to put one up, but it probably doesn't hurt.  

yes, the parking spot is like a driveway in front of the garage and is my private property. So I guess I can't call the police in this case. Good to know. I have put up a sign now, it's a temporary one, until the new and more durable one arrives. Actually it is good that I start now with the sign since the house next door just got sold, and their parking spot & garage is next to mine. So there will probably be handwerkers trying to park in my spot in the future. 

Thank you for the barrier ideas!

The automated barrier sounds like a great idea to end all possibilities of anyone taking the spot!

If I was you then I think I would do the following;

1. Put up a sign (done).
  2. Leave a note on the windscreen stating that they are parking on private property and if they do it again they will be fined.
  3. If they continue to park there, then I would use one of those Apps.  

If they ignore signs and warnings and you reach stage 3 then I would just say "screw them.  Let them be fined".  You don't do it to earn money, but to stop offenders.

This way there is no need for you to pay for a barrier, and I would be surprised if you actually reach stage 3.

As it's your property, and the culprit is random, go with the physical barrier. The sign / lawyer option would only potentially work for the repeat offender.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I agree the barrier is the way to go for the long term solution.

While I don't like to be another grump on the streets of Germany, I think given all the rules and lack of tolerance for my own mistakes through the years, I think it's about time for some payback to my dear dear Germans... :D  and ohh boy.. do they have it coming to them! The chickens have come home to roost my friends ! :D Oh yes, the chickens have come home to roost!

On 12/13/2019, 8:43:13, wien4ever said:

I have put up a sign now, it's a temporary one, until the new and more durable one arrives.

Don´t forget to mention the parking fee on it (I´d suggest something like €1 per min)

I remember seeing an article some years ago when this happened in the UK.

A person lived near to a railway station and often came home to find others had parked in his driveway.

Annoyed he ordered a delivery of bricks and stayed home for a few days.

Sure enough someone parked in his driveway and took the train.

During the day he built a wall around the offending car.

The driver of the car obviously threw a wobbly but in the end had to hire a crane to lift his car out of the driveway.

Problem solved, it never happened again.

Just remember when indulging in your revenge fantasies, two wrongs don't make a right and the law has no time for people taking it into their own hands. I'm amazed at the level of childishness displayed in this thread. Put up a sign, if that doesn't help put up a barrier and then go about your merry way.

On 16/12/2019, 08:57:42, Malt-Teaser said:

I remember seeing an article some years ago when this happened in the UK.

A person lived near to a railway station and often came home to find others had parked in his driveway.

Annoyed he ordered a delivery of bricks and stayed home for a few days.

Sure enough someone parked in his driveway and took the train.

During the day he built a wall around the offending car.

The driver of the car obviously threw a wobbly but in the end had to hire a crane to lift his car out of the driveway.

Problem solved, it never happened again.

Blocking in a car like this seems to be against the (UK) law according to this article:

https://www.essexlive.news/news/what-you-can-legally-someone-764870

There actually doesn't seem to be a lot you can immediately legally do with roadworthy cars parked on your driveway - it is trespass and so a civil and not a criminal case. Bit of an eye-opener!

1 hour ago, pmd said:

There actually doesn't seem to be a lot you can immediately legally do with roadworthy cars parked on your driveway

Yes, he can put up a barrier.

27 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Yes, he can put up a barrier.

But can you build a wall around a car that is parked in your driveway? Moot point for most reading this because it is refering to the UK but it's an interesting situation.

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

I maintain that a barrier would be equally effective in the UK.

What that guy did is nuts.

Indeed.  Rather than go through the trouble of building a wall, it would have been easier just to have the bricks delivered on top of the car, seeing as there was no room due to to the occupied space, etc.  :)

14 hours ago, pmd said:

But can you build a wall around a car that is parked in your driveway? Moot point for most reading this because it is refering to the UK but it's an interesting situation.

Blocking a car can be considered Nötigung and will get you in trouble. Even if they are uninvited on your ground.