Protecting Parking spot with Lawyer App?

42 posts in this topic

My house is on a street with scarce street parking. The house has a garage and parking spot in front of the garage. I moved in several months ago, and on about ten occasions since I moved in someone has parked in my parking spot, blocking me from using my garage and parking spot. In looking at my options I found two services that offer an app, which you use to take pictures of the offender's car and send to lawyers and they will automatically send a cease and desist letter and penalties for the repeat offender. The point is you don't have to call a tow company. And if I understood correctly, you can make a little money on the penalties e.g. 40 euros at https://www.park-collect.de/. The other one I found was https://myparkplatz24.de/ . They say it is done at no cost to you. Has anyone tried these? Are they legit? Sounds a little too good to be true...

I will have to put up one of those "parken verboten" signs as part of the process. I don't like to be heavy handed about it, especially if it might be neighbors who are just occassionally doing it, but I paid quite a bit for house and for the benefits of that garage and parking spot, and no doubt the time will come when I need to leave for an important appointment and can't afford to wait and sort it out (imagine missing a flight because you can't get out of your garage?). I also hate the feeling of coming home from work, and finding I can't park in my own damn parking spot, even if the person is there for just 10 mins. Wow... I'm really turning into a grumpy German!

Don't be such a weenie. Put signs up and own the property for which you paid. Make sure the signs include towing. I guarantee you that once a car is towed they won't try to take advantage of you again which is exactly what they are doing now.

Grow a pair. A big pair.

Those apps will only make the lawyers richer.

I don't condone this but I can understand my former friend (he didn't last long for obvious reasons) resorting to smearing oil or vaseline over the windscreen of people who parked on his property. It was apparently very effective. And pretty much free.

Dog shit under the driver door handle works better. Bierschinken on the hood in the heat of summer is good, too.

7 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

Dog shit under the driver door handle works better. 

How you know? :unsure:

10 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

Dog shit under the driver door handle works better. Bierschinken on the hood in the heat of summer is good, too.

That is a criminal offence, though (Sachbeschädigung) ;)

I understand why people do it in lawless Eastern Europe, buy why would you do this in Germany possibly getting yourself into trouble?

21 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

That is a criminal offence, though (Sachbeschädigung) ;)

I understand why people do it in lawless Eastern Europe, buy why would you do this in Germany possibly getting yourself into trouble?

Vaseline smeared on the windshield should be illegal in Germany too, I would hope, property vandalism and potential safety hazard too. 

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

Don't be such a weenie. Put signs up and own the property for which you paid. Make sure the signs include towing. I guarantee you that once a car is towed they won't try to take advantage of you again which is exactly what they are doing now.

Grow a pair. A big pair.

Those apps will only make the lawyers richer.

Thanks I needed to hear that! OK, I will grow some Eier and hand out some justice!

Up goes the sign!

Is your parking spot on private property?  Or just the road in front of your garage?

If it is private property then it is a civil matter, but if they are on the road and block your garage then this is a criminal offence and you can call the police.  If they actually do something is another story however!  

The signs are actually not legally binding.  Which means that you don't have to put one up, but it probably doesn't hurt.  

11 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Grow a pair of boobs. A big pair of boobs.

That is the rest of the sentence, right?

... when the chap is still young. Things tend to soften up in middle age, gentlemen.

Oh dear, off topic again and we haven't even got to the bottom of the first page.

13 hours ago, optimista said:

I don't condone this but I can understand my former friend (he didn't last long for obvious reasons) resorting to smearing oil or vaseline over the windscreen of people who parked on his property. It was apparently very effective. And pretty much free.

What also works is an orange, red or otherwise bright-coloured oil pastel crayon used to write a kindly message on all the windows of repeat offenders.

sounds like this is a single parking spot and garage, so the culprit would be quite obvious...

Can you block the offending car with your own when you come home? Make them come to you and ring the doorbell. If it is after a certain time at night, turn off the doorbell. That way you can confront them directly and point out that they are on private property. 

Or if it happens constantly, get one of those. 

https://www.absperrshop.de/klapp-pfosten-vierkant-zum-aufdubeln-abschliessbar-mit-vorhangeschloss-rot-weiss.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_5ungLyy5gIVFODtCh315whPEAQYASABEgIyffD_BwE

https://www.wolkdirekt.com/parkbuegel-mit-zylinderschloss-_-5828716.html?vp=S0x1&camp=googlebase&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_5ungLyy5gIVFODtCh315whPEAQYAiABEgKypfD_BwE 

I know how annoying it is when, every single day, you already start worrying if you can actually park your car when you start your drive home. I used to live in the city and the blocked the entrance to the parking lot behind the house. The worst offenders were social services in the morning, when parking on the street was actually plenty. 

4 minutes ago, maxie said:

Can you block the offending car with your own when you come home? ...

That is actually an offence!  So then if he calls the police then the OP will be in trouble!

28 minutes ago, dj_jay_smith said:

That is actually an offence!  So then if he calls the police then the OP will be in trouble!

Learn something new every day. Thanks. 
I have only every done it when there was no parking to be had within a reasonable distance and when the offender didn't show up after a few minutes. All of them were somewhere between very apologetic and sullenly apologetic. Also, all they had to do was ring the doorbell of the entry they were blocking… 

So, if someone parks on your private spot in front of your garage blocking your car in, it is not a police matter.  But if you block them in with your second car, by parking on private property the police will do something?