Can’t get my deposit back. / Apartment contract was cancelled by landlord before it starts

51 posts in this topic

Assuming this was a legit rental (yes a bit late to the conversation) did you sign a lease? If so than she can't back out of it and she would need to evict you. But as others have mentioned this was probably a scam so my advice isn't much helpful.

 

Off topic  But I'm a big fan of Ripoff Britain and similar shows. One scam that comes up with depressing regularity are bank transfer ones. A crook convinces you to do a bank transfer (some of the amounts are in the 10s of 1000s of pounds) and then disappears with the money. Now here's the part I don't get, to open a bank account anywhere requires ID and an address so why isn't that the bank/police can't track down the scam artists? 

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23.12.2019, 18:06:54, catjones said:

 

I really have better things to do with my time.

Then scroll through your own shite... 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rushrush said:

 A crook convinces you to do a bank transfer (some of the amounts are in the 10s of 1000s of pounds) and then disappears with the money. Now here's the part I don't get, to open a bank account anywhere requires ID and an address so why isn't that the bank/police can't track down the scam artists?

Fake passport?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, jeba said:

Fake passport?

Quite a few people have asked this on their FB page. Said it's tough to get a bank account in the UK

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rushrush said:

Said it's tough to get a bank account in the UK

 

No it isnt... 

 

Took me about 30 mins to fill in forms.. account was opened immiately, Cheque and  cash was deposited same day. 

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

No it isnt... 

 

Took me about 30 mins to fill in forms.. account was opened immiately, Cheque and  cash was deposited same day. 

 

 

Thanks was just curious on how a scammer could open a UK account and not get caught

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Rushrush said:

Thanks was just curious on how a scammer could open a UK account and not get caught

 

Its been a decade since I was there, so maybe things have changed, but it was always simple in the past.  One of the things is that the UK doesnt have an ID card, nor anmeldung, nor do we have the concept of a real name in the way germany does.

 

So I can legitimately claim my name is Joe Bloggs, and showing up at a bank with some random letter I stole from a local university dorm or whatever might do as proof of address. 

 

I believe however that most crooks in the uk dont actually use their own bank accounts but use so called "mules".  They do things like persuade people that as they are overseas, they need someone to take money by direct credit then forward it to them by Western Union. So you take the payment, then send the money on to the crook and when the police come the trail ends with you.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

 

 

 

I believe however that most crooks in the uk dont actually use their own bank accounts but use so called "mules".  They do things like persuade people that as they are overseas, they need someone to take money by direct credit then forward it to them by Western Union. So you take the payment, then send the money on to the crook and when the police come the trail ends with you.

 

 

You would think though that by now the availability of "mules" should be drying up. The scam is well known and the offence for doing it is serious and even claiming you were duped won't get an offender off the hook.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, zwiebelfisch said:

So I can legitimately claim my name is Joe Bloggs, and showing up at a bank with some random letter I stole from a local university dorm or whatever might do as proof of address. 

 

I saw some program from the uk a while back where they were checking how easy it was to open a bank account, for example for an illegal immigrant. They definitely got asked for ID which they'd borrowed from another person. As I recall, they ended up being denied.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/26/2019, 2:32:13, SpiderPig said:

Then scroll through your own shite... 

 

If you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail.  Grow up.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now