Can’t get my deposit back. / Apartment contract was cancelled by landlord before it starts

51 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, AlexTr said:

By law, even with a prepaid, you are supposed to be required to give identification.  Naturally,  you may have been able to circumvent the law or you may have gotten yours before this law went into effect.

Ah yes, got it in 2013. Means it is valuable now? :)

10 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Ah yes, got it in 2013. Means it is valuable now? :)

Hell yes, it is. You are super secret squirrel.

Image result for secret squirrel

Thanks to all of you for advising! 

Today I was at the police station in Schwabing and made a report, will see how it turns out in a couple of weeks. Actually that was a very nice experience, the police employee was very professional and kind and even spoke very good English. I think for them it wouldn’t be a problem to trace this "landlord"

I had a coworker who almost fell for a very similar scam:  a "makler" showed him the apartment, gave him a contract, then started pressuring him to hand over the kaution - cash only - if he wanted to finalize the deal.  

Luckily a couple of us (at work) had very strong feelings that something was wrong, and one of us called the alleged landlord (according to the info on the contract).  A man answered and promptly hung up once the topic was clear...coworker called back again and a woman answered and told him, no, there was no apartment for rent and...sorry

Up to that point it was a very very believable scam in most respects.  we never did quite figure out how this worked, since they showed him an apartment!  The only plausible explanation was that since the place was being renovated, perhaps one of the workmen was in on it to provide a key, or perhaps the makler handling the real rental or sale was in on it?  The makler was definitely in the loop as he was the one who was pressuring him to pay in cash, etc. but it was a mystery as to how they had access to the apartment at all. Anyway, never found out.  

so I have to ask:  was the place you were shown also under renovation of some kind?  Was it just empty?  

On 12/12/2019, 6:07:20, fraufruit said:

I don't see how they can find her. No bank trail or address.

Definitely dont think they'll find her if she's in Iran like she said. Wondering how the OP found the flat? If it was on Immobilien Scout24 or other such housing platforms I'd inform them as well.

Never Kaution in cash and always get a pic of ausweis and trust your intuition. If something seems suspicious probably youre right.

24 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

I had a coworker who almost fell for a very similar scam:  a "makler" showed him the apartment, gave him a contract, then started pressuring him to hand over the kaution - cash only - if he wanted to finalize the deal.  

Luckily a couple of us (at work) had very strong feelings that something was wrong, and one of us called the alleged landlord (according to the info on the contract).  A man answered and promptly hung up once the topic was clear...coworker called back again and a woman answered and told him, no, there was no apartment for rent and...sorry

Up to that point it was a very very believable scam in most respects.  we never did quite figure out how this worked, since they showed him an apartment!  The only plausible explanation was that since the place was being renovated, perhaps one of the workmen was in on it to provide a key, or perhaps the makler handling the real rental or sale was in on it?  The makler was definitely in the loop as he was the one who was pressuring him to pay in cash, etc. but it was a mystery as to how they had access to the apartment at all. Anyway, never found out.  

so I have to ask:  was the place you were shown also under renovation of some kind?  Was it just empty?  

In my case this was just a regular house and furnished apartment, nothing suspicious. Probably she just rented it.

9 minutes ago, Lavender Rain said:

Definitely dont think they'll find her if she's in Iran like she said. Wondering how the OP found the flat? If it was on Immobilien Scout24 or other such housing platforms I'd inform them as well.

I found the apartment on Immobilien Scout24. Most likely she is a German resident, so I hope to get a court payment order. 

1 hour ago, Ana Rkn said:

I found the apartment on Immobilien Scout24. Most likely she is a German resident, so I hope to get a court payment order. 

If it's a scam than you want to consider warning Immobilien Scout. We do know there's scams on ImmobilienScout as several have been reported on TT over the years. 

On 12/14/2019, 7:36:32, lisa13 said:

Up to that point it was a very very believable scam in most respects.  we never did quite figure out how this worked, since they showed him an apartment! 

Most of the times it is AirBnB rentals.

but in that case one should be able to straighten it out via air b-n-b

my coworker was looking for a permanent place.  it was not an air b-n-b 

eta:  oh I see - you're saying the scammer rented an air b-n-b then showed it to potential victims?

with my coworker no - as I said it was empty and in the process of being renovated but for a furnished place, hell yeah that makes sense

Just now, lisa13 said:

but in that case one should be able to straighten it out via air b-n-b

my coworker was looking for a permanent place.  it was not an air b-n-b

The scammer rents the air bnb for a week or two. Advertises it for rent in ImmobilienScout24. Shows it and takes a deposit from anybody who is willing, perhaps multiple ppl. Then disappears.

However, Airbnb should have a record of who was renting the apartment when they saw it so possibly the person can be found through there.  However also possible they used a fake name in air bnb, paid with a stolen card etc.

yeah it seems like a scam with a short half-life

at the very least the police should be able to find and speak to the actual owner for leads. Still very weird that this particular scammer maintained some contact with the OP after absconding with the cash...just...so weird.

22 hours ago, lisa13 said:

yeah it seems like a scam with a short half-life

at the very least the police should be able to find and speak to the actual owner for leads. Still very weird that this particular scammer maintained some contact with the OP after absconding with the cash...just...so weird.

Who knows. Maybe the scammer was about to leave town and wanted to buy time.

Police are useless here in Germany , hundreds of euros got stolen from me , various personal items , bycicles , all reported to the police , and every time they told me the crime was not so big ...I guess they are busy hunting people on facebook

On 12/19/2019, 5:30:46, TraceKira said:

Police are useless here in Germany , hundreds of euros got stolen from me , various personal items , bycicles , all reported to the police , and every time they told me the crime was not so big ...I guess they are busy hunting people on facebook

Off-topic, but do you ever have anything positive to say? All your posts are complaints about how things suck here and how everything is god awful.. If that is how you feel, maybe you'd be happier in your own country? 

10 hours ago, generalmartok said:

Off-topic, but do you ever have anything positive to say? All your posts are complaints about how things suck here and how everything is god awful.. If that is how you feel, maybe you'd be happier in your own country? 

What would be the positive spin on theft?

Just now, catjones said:

What would be the positive spin on theft?

I prefaced by saying this is off topic. That means I am not specifically commenting on his response to this topic. He only shows up to say how awful the police or the social services or the consumer rights or lawyers or the etcetera etcetera in Germany is. But yet, stays here and enjoys what this country has to offer. 

So what if the police did not put their best men to recover a stolen bicycle? Do you feel safe walking down most streets at 2am in the morning in this country? 

Please scroll through his activity on TT if you like. 

Merry Christmas :) 

57 minutes ago, generalmartok said:

Please scroll through his activity on TT

I really have better things to do with my time.