Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Christmas Holiday Munich/What's To Do

18 posts in this topic

Hi All-

Does anyone know of any restaurants/bars/clubs open during Christmas (Dec. 24-25-26) here in Munich?? Much appreciated in advance!

On 12/11/2019, 6:45:23, Runnerguy said:

Hi All-

Does anyone know of any restaurants/bars/clubs open during Christmas (Dec. 24-25-26) here in Munich?? Much appreciated in advance!

Or even better if anyone knows of anything going on during Christmas for this Auslander!

Have you joined a sport verein, @Runnerguy? It gets you out of the house on a regular basis, gives you people with whom you're on an immediate per du basis, and provides celebrations like Nikolaus abend (too late now), and Fasching parties: it also lets you use a lot of that energy that when unused leaves you feeling sad and alone.

An option would be to find an organisation which helps people in some kind of need at Christmas, and volunteer for them. This has many advantages - an instant sense of belonging, of doing something positive, and a good use of otherwise possibly painful time.

A quick google found me  http://www.stjohnberchmans.de/Min_Out_Local.html  which looks to be an English speaking Catholic church, but if that's not your bag then no doubt there will be many other organisations doing something useful.

Most hotel restaurants should be open

here is a more targeted list:  https://muenchen.mitvergnuegen.com/2019/restaurants-an-weihnachtsfeiertagen/

I can recommend arts and boards no matter the occasion.  Also note that the 24th is the "big day", christmas wise, and that's when you'll have the most trouble finding anything open after, say, 14:00 in munich.

for clubbing:  https://www.muenchen.de/freizeit/weihnachten/party-feiern-an-heiligabend-in-muenchen.html

come on, you can google these things as well as I can :)

11 hours ago, katheliz said:

Have you joined a sport verein, @Runnerguy? It gets you out of the house on a regular basis, gives you people with whom you're on an immediate per du basis, and provides celebrations like Nikolaus abend (too late now), and Fasching parties: it also lets you use a lot of that energy that when unused leaves you feeling sad and alone.

Great advice! Although my work schedule takes up a lot of my time this is something I should look into. Thanks for the post!

2 hours ago, kiplette said:

An option would be to find an organisation which helps people in some kind of need at Christmas, and volunteer for them. This has many advantages - an instant sense of belonging, of doing something positive, and a good use of otherwise possibly painful time.

A quick google found me  http://www.stjohnberchmans.de/Min_Out_Local.html  which looks to be an English speaking Catholic church, but if that's not your bag then no doubt there will be many other organisations doing something useful.

Thank you for the suggestion, my faith is important to me and this sounds like a good outlet. Thank you again

As for your original question... 

Why not simply step out of your front door.. then walk around until you find a restaurant that is open.. Go in.. get wasted.. come home and think of another daft question to ask on TT... 

I remember once in the early days hitch -hiking my way around  schwabing ... :lol::lol:

11 minutes ago, Runnerguy said:

Great advice! Although my work schedule takes up a lot of my time this is something I should look into. Thanks for the post!

Do you have work colleagues? If so, have you asked them your question, perhaps if there's colleagues they may know of something or someplace to recommend that may interest you. Are there any other people you may know who may be looking for something to do as well that you can meet up with for the holidays?

Good luck and Merry Christmas to you.

Deutsches Museum, Munich.  Web information also available in English.

Was good 53 years ago & will still be good now.  You will need more than one day to work through it all.

Closed Christmas Eve & Day, also New Year's Eve & day but otherwise open.

9 hours ago, Lavender Rain said:

Do you have work colleagues? If so, have you asked them your question, perhaps if there's colleagues they may know of something or someplace to recommend that may interest you. Are there any other people you may know who may be looking for something to do as well that you can meet up with for the holidays?

Good luck and Merry Christmas to you.

Thank you for the suggestion. Yes I have colleagues but they will all be with their family. Also I don’t really know anyone outside of work so there’s really no one else I can ask :-( I guess it wouldn’t necessarily TOO bad in the States but everything here shuts down. Anyways thanks again for your response!

52 minutes ago, Runnerguy said:

Thank you for the suggestion. Yes I have colleagues but they will all be with their family. Also I don’t really know anyone outside of work so there’s really no one else I can ask :-( I guess it wouldn’t necessarily TOO bad in the States but everything here shuts down. Anyways thanks again for your response!

Here's a link to a meet up for "speed friending" in Munich on Dec. 21st.

You never know who's going to show up at this meeting who may have the same interest as you during the Christmas holiday.  What's to do for singles may even be a topic of discussion even. :)

Details

The holidays are just around the corner and it's the perfect time to make new friends & renew old ties!  Join us for our Speed Friending evening to make new friendships with both ladies and gentlemen at Irish Pub Dubliner!

All our members will enjoy a complimentary welcome drink. SOPHIA will be your lovely host for the evening! Our host is bilingual and so are many of our members and guests! We welcome locals and internationals both!

On 12/11/2019, 6:45:23, Runnerguy said:

Hi All-

Around 20 years ago before moving to Germany, i spent 5-6 days around Christmas in Munich.   

Even though it is a tourist trap, I went to the Hofbräuhaus with people from the place where i was staying.   

In my opinion, the music is terrible, the food and beer are average tasting and overpriced, and the rooms are too bright, BUT every time I have been in there, i have met interesting people and had a great time.    There are a lot of tourists there and i found it pretty easy to strike up a conversation.  

On 12/14/2019, 8:33:30, SpiderPig said:

As for your original question... 

Why not simply step out of your front door.. then walk around until you find a restaurant that is open.. Go in.. get wasted.. come home and think of another daft question to ask on TT... 

I remember once in the early days hitch -hiking my way around  schwabing ... :lol::lol:

Wow, you simply could have not responded but you went the extra mile to be a dick, well done!

On 1/2/2020, 3:54:59, kiplette said:

So, @Runnerguy- did you find something good?

Happy New Year!

Hi Kiplette, Happy New Year to you as well. It was a quiet holiday season for me this past year so to answer your question; I really didnt put to much effort into "finding something to do". Actually spent my time running, cleaning, and generally staying around my flat. This way I could keep myself out of trouble! Thanks for checking in, Happy New Year!

12 minutes ago, Runnerguy said:

Hi Kiplette, Happy New Year to you as well. It was a quiet holiday season for me this past year so to answer your question; I really didnt put to much effort into "finding something to do". Actually spent my time running, cleaning, and generally staying around my flat. This way I could keep myself out of trouble! Thanks for checking in, Happy New Year!

Sometimes a quiet time is good. Good luck in this new year, and  some good ideas from others. It takes time when new, but the sports verein is a useful link.

( Ignore Spider!)

2 hours ago, RedMidge said:

Sometimes a quiet time is good. Good luck in this new year, and  some good ideas from others. It takes time when new, but the sports verein is a useful link.

( Ignore Spider!)

Haha! Will do, thank you for the kind wishes. The sports things is a very good suggestion, thanks again!

On 1/2/2020, 3:54:59, kiplette said:

So, @Runnerguy- did you find something good?

Happy New Year!