Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Jahrgang

10 posts in this topic

I sometimes see e.g.  "... , Jahrgang 1970" translated as "..., born in 1970." But my feeling is, from the usual contexts I see it, that it means the year in which one entered school, i.e. one's school cohort. Which is correct from a native speaker's understanding?

I learnt Baujahr as a term for the year a person was born in. As a non-native speaker, I would guess Jahrgang refers to the start at school.

But I am equally curious and hope a native speaker turns up!

Baujahr is colloquial for the year a person is born in. Normally, it is used for e.g. buildings and cars, so objects. Jahrgang should be the correct term. It can also be used for the start at school depending on the context. Since I do wine tastings, it can also mean Erntejahr.

PS- I'm still not a native speaker :).

Baujahr?! I thought that was for inanimate objects, though that may also apply to some humans! :D Perhaps it could apply to persons of, ahem, a certain vintage! :wacko: 

Thanks Luke, our posts crossed.

But isn't it confusing if Jahrgang can be both birth year and start of school? 

(Oh yippee, I just realised I can suddenly be 5 years younger!! 🤗🤗)

Jahrgang: People born in 1969 would be called "Jahrgang 1969", either one single person are the whole lot.

Baujahr: A car build in 1969 would be called "Baujahr 1969". Our houses, or any other thing. Sometimes this word is also used for Humans, jokingly.

Achtung!: Wine from 1989 would be called "Jahrgang 1989", not "Baujahr 1989". Same for whisky. Hint: Remember that anything with a "spirit" is considered "Jahrgang".

Jahrgangsstufe:  People of roughly the same age being at the same step in School. For example, this year a lot of people born in 2000 will have their Abiturfeier with the other people of their Jahrgangsstufe, while the next Jahrgangsstufe (those born in 2001 and now in 12th class) will take care of the catering.

@LukeSkywalker, I have never heard the term Erntejahr in that context. Erntejahr is a term for the time between seeding the crops and harvesting them...

1 hour ago, john g. said:

I learnt Baujahr as a term for the year a person was born in. As a non-native speaker, I would guess Jahrgang refers to the start at school.

But I am equally curious and hope a native speaker turns up!

I can confirm that "Baujahr" can be used as slang for the age of a person, but is usually meant to mean that they are old.  Jahrgang is correct.

"Jahrgang" is not as colloquial as "Baujahr" when referring to the year of birth, but it is not really formal either. (As pointed out, it can also refer e.g. to the "Abitursjahrgang".

The correct term is "Geburtsjahr". When referring not to the year but the group of people, the formal term is "Kohorte".

Jahrgang is the neutral term. Baujahr is informal and slightly humorous,  but can also be a bit awkward when used in the wrong setting. 

Kohorte is very formal. I have only ever read it. In a sociological study.  Most people wouldn't know what you are taking about.  Unless they have read Astrix and think of the military meaning.  The Romans had Kohorten... 

Mostly Jahrgang refers to yob. For example in sports.  As said before,  it can mean school year,  but often the year of graduation is used on that context, e.g. Abi 2000