Pointless plastics..

210 posts in this topic

Our school teacher put a darning needle into all our hands when we were aged 6 once a week. I loved learning all those fancy stitches on hessian. There was an Asian girl whose satin stitch was perfect.  She wasn't new to the skill. Not a single eye was poked out. Can you imagine the outcry from Health & Safety if you gave a class of 6-year-olds a darning needle each these days??

Just now, optimista said:

Our school teacher put a darning needle into all our hands when we were aged 6 once a week. I loved learning all those fancy stitches on hessian. There was an Asian girl whose satin stitch was perfect. She wasn't new to the skill. Can you imagine the outcry from Health & Safety if you gave a class of 6-year-olds a darning needle each these days??

The boys too, right?

We visited an Armenian relative yesterday who showed off some beautiful cross stitch she had done.  My US educated son reminded me that he had learned to do that in elementary school and he had really enjoyed it.  😊

In my school we had knitting and shop, both boys and girls when we were 9 and 10.  I wasn't good at knitting, I was supposed to make a Mr. Bean teddy bear and I think my mom ended up doing most of it.  

17 minutes ago, optimista said:

Our school teacher put a darning needle into all our hands when we were aged 6 once a week. I loved learning all those fancy stitches on hessian. There was an Asian girl whose satin stitch was perfect.  She wasn't new to the skill. Not a single eye was poked out. Can you imagine the outcry from Health & Safety if you gave a class of 6-year-olds a darning needle each these days??

Very good for hand-eye coordination, pre math, and pre reading skills.  It’s the kind of thing still done in Waldorf schools for those reasons.

1 hour ago, LeonG said:

In my school we had knitting and shop, both boys and girls when we were 9 and 10.  I wasn't good at knitting, I was supposed to make a Mr. Bean teddy bear and I think my mom ended up doing most of it.  

That, for me, is the most charming post of the day, Leon!

:P

I seem to remember having a class at age 4 or 5 when I had to sew a button or something. I think I failed.

Mum at home ( before she left us when my brother and I were young ) didn´t sew but I can remember her ironing. I know it was a Tuesday afternoon and it was raining.

As a  22 year old something, I remember being with some young Chileans in Peru and we became friends and they bought some leather from somewhere and made leather bags to sell to tourists and they showed me how.

At some stage, ( and based upon what I had learnt from them ) I made a leather bag with a cock engravement  ( if that is the word ) and sold it at the hippy market in Buenos Aires a year or so later. German tourists! 5 dollars!

That fed me for the day.

I haven´t sewed a button since..have forgotten how.  I now even find it difficult to button up a jacket...eyesight , coordination.

I love sewing. My kids are a bit interested sometimes, but kid#2 has started a course which requires it, and is discovering that he is pretty good with a needle, which is brilliant. He will learn traditional darning and mending methods as well as creating new items. I am thrilled about all that.

3 minutes ago, kiplette said:

I love sewing. My kids are a bit interested sometimes, but kid#2 has started a course which requires it, and is discovering that he is pretty good with a needle, which is brilliant. He will learn traditional darning and mending methods as well as creating new items. I am thrilled about all that.

That‘s awesome.  

On 1/2/2020, 11:32:47, LeonG said:

I also knew a young guy who was working part time as a pizza delivery driver who said he really wanted to apprentice.. but.. it had to be good hours, he didn't want to work weekends or shifts nor travel plus it couldn't be too physically demanding.  He claimed he was applying and not getting hired which unless he was lying, might have been because the employers saw him dripping with entitlement and decided he would pose a problem.

Where I work there is always place for ausbildung in Werkzeugbau,schlosser,anlagenfuhrer etc.

However there is always more people than places for IT,Kaufman,Buchhaltung etc.

It does seem like youngsters nowadays are more interested in clean 9-5 jobs than any physical trade often involving shiftwork.

Why the hell do you have to take a Braun safety razor completely appart to change the batteries?

Do they want to convince the users to buy new ones?

Not with me, I used ordered two batteries for 20€.

Btw. I also sew buttons and don't throw away the clothes.

I also tried to replace the bearings in our washing machine, however, after I managed to take everything apart,  If found it to be beyond repair.

With our dish washer I was more successful.

At the first time I had to buy some special tools, but the following times everything is in the cellar.

7 hours ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

Why the hell do you have to take a Braun safety razor completely appart to change the batteries?

Do they want to convince the users to buy new ones?

The battery in my Braun Oral B electric toothbrush is dying. I looked up how to change it. Well, it requires an MIT engineer with a lot of experience to change it.  Basically, the whole thing has to be dismantled completely and what's even worse is the fact that the bastards soldered it in the device. When I find the time, I think a letter to their managing director will be in order.

How about the little cartons of drink for children? They come with a plastic straw attached that is in a plastic container.

On 10/12/2019, 21:52:59, robinson100 said:

I don't want to sound like a Grinch but I would love to see glitter getting banned - it gets everywhere and anywhere..I read that there's a campaign in the UK to get rid of it.

Daily I walk past plenty of plastic and mcdonalds styro foam litter including broken glass bottles lying around where teenagers usually hang out - despite rubbish bins near. Seems these teenagers are not Fridays for Future kids. 

15 minutes ago, bramble said:

Daily I walk past plenty of plastic and mcdonalds styro foam litter including broken glass bottles lying around where teenagers usually hang out - despite rubbish bins near. Seems these teenagers are not Fridays for Future kids. 

Not a McD fan but they did phase out styropor sometime ago.   

2 hours ago, snowingagain said:

Not a McD fan but they did phase out styropor sometime ago.   

Thanks for the info. But whatever it is they are using now, the kids are still throwing it on the ground. 

1 hour ago, bramble said:

Thanks for the info. But whatever it is they are using now, the kids are still throwing it on the ground. 

I see this where I live too and I find it very disappointing. I’m living in a college town.  Interestingly, just walk across the Swiss border 10 minutes from my house and there is no litter.  It’s a definite cultural difference.