Pointless plastics..

210 posts in this topic

Most Veg doesnt need to be packaged in Plastic...  ( This can also cause sweating for the produce)..

Almost all Frozen product could also just be boxed and frozen, not double packaged

Sadly the Meat counters are rammed full of plastic packaged stuff.. 

Its shameful..

2 hours ago, Rushrush said:

Sorry my point was that if you shop at Aldi/Lidl avoiding plastic is almost impossible.

But is it so hard to avoid Lidl or Aldi? I rarely enter them, as I hate the messy dumpy look (and attitude it fosters), but mainly because I think their fresh produce is sub-par. 

1 minute ago, alderhill said:

But is it so hard to avoid Lidl or Aldi? I rarely enter them, as I hate the messy dumpy look (and attitude it fosters), but mainly because I think their fresh produce is sub-par. 

sorry, but are you talking about the staff or the stores here?

I guess you must be served by aldi Nord, because the southern variation is definitely different!

Here you can buy loose fruit and veg, freshly delivered daily, and the staff work hard to keep the stores clean and tidy.

15 minutes ago, alderhill said:

Yer it is hard because of that old problem many people have in that they`re cheaper than the better looking (not messy and dumpy) competitors such as Edeka,Rewe etc.

Also I believe that Lidl have won numerous awards for the quality of their fruit.

Also what attitude does it foster ?

57 minutes ago, Keleth said:

That customers bring their own stanley knife to open boxes :). 

PS- My favourite store is Edeka. Mine has a butcher and fresh fish.

2 hours ago, robinson100 said:

I guess you must be served by aldi Nord,

Yup, I'm north of the wall. It's hardly a step above Netto around here. If I'm just picking up pasta, plain yoghurt or a tin of peanuts, OK it's all the same, but Edeka (different name, same empire) is simply better for most everything else and not that much more expensive. To be fair, the closest Aldi (beside an Edeka!) keeps their shop clean and mostly neat, but I still don't really like it. Rewe is often overpriced IMO - but there isn't one close to me.

because the southern variation is definitely different!

Right now I'm in Freiburg where my wife is from. It is indeed better here, but the nearer Rewe is yet better, with surprisingly very good local selections.

2 hours ago, Keleth said:

Yer it is hard because of that old problem many people have in that they`re cheaper than the better looking (not messy and dumpy) competitors such as Edeka,Rewe etc.

It's not simply what it looks like when you're in the store (most German supermarkets are a little dumpy to me), but quality. 

I am a pretty frugal person and I have never found it hard to save money so long as I had income. We grew up lower middle class, bringing along the coupon envelope, etc. Dinner planning was usually based on whatever was on sale, a habit I still have. So I know what it's like! We save a lot in several other areas, so I personally don't feel it's splurging or aspirational living. 

Also I believe that Lidl have won numerous awards for the quality of their fruit.

I think it's obvious that they (around where I live) buy the lower grade stuff at the wholesalers. I'd sooner not buy something I know is below quality when I also know I can get better elsewhere. Even my preferred local Edeka disappoints me, but it's the best around here. I'm picky about quality, maybe as I grew up in a fruit-growing region and in season we often bought from stands on the farmers driveway. If I want seasonal quality, I go to the farmers market for fresh/local. I also garden and last summer we grew all our own lettuce and had a good supply of other veg as weeks rolled on. 

Broken windows theory, but in supermarket microcosm.

I'm just watching episode 4 of Netflix Rotten series, this one dealing with plastic. What they point out is that very little of the plastic we produce is actually recyclable, approx 9%. Somewhat due to the enormous variety of types of plastic but also due to the fact that recycling that is collected is so badly contaminated. I'd image the figure for German recycling is way lower than that due to contamination. The guy on show called it wish-cycling. As mentioned before it's the main reason I stopped recycling (other than bio or tin). It might feel good dropping my used umbrella and black dirty plastics in the gelbesack but it simply means it's separated and then shipped to some third world country where  it gets burnt. At least if I dump it in regular garbage it will be deposed of properly.

Of course reducing the amount of plastic you use it the ideal but very difficult in practice.

1 hour ago, Rushrush said:

At least if I dump it in regular garbage it will be deposed of properly.

Or will it be sent  to some third world country? How do you know?

13 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Or will it be sent  to some third world country? How do you know?

It's been in the news quite a bit of recent. In the beginning when China first started industrializing it had a voracious appetite for all the worlds recycling, metal plastic wood everything. One downside to all of this was China's legendary pollution. So about 2 years or so ago China slammed the door on all plastics. Now you've got 100s of millions of pounds of plastic with no where to go. This basically meant that the floor fell out on the price of plastic (same with paper). Where as before you could sell your recycling for a small profit now it costs you money to get rid of it. More specific to your point is only certain plastics are recyclable and in order for them to have any value it needs to be clean. I first heard about this via the Planet Money Podcast Should We Recycle. And then last night I just watched episode 4 of Broken on Netflix which confirmed what I thought. The bulk (95% or more) of blue box and Gelbesack material is being dumped on the third world. To me the whole Gelbsack system is simply a way for Germans to wash their hands of the 100s of millions of tons of packing material they produce every year. 

To be honest it's all very depressing.  Climate change, mass extinction, the Amazon being burned (expected within a decade it will reach the point of no return) the oceans dying etc. I suppose it's why I've buried my head in the sand over all this.  

"...the worms excreted about half of the polystyrene the ate as tiny particles and the rest was emitted as carbon dioxide."

Spot the problem?

On 12/10/2019, 2:25:59, BradinBayern said:

I also see German friends and relative's toss a lot of stuff that I would consider still useful.  Maybe just my personal experience.  

I would agree.  I have friends who bought an old house and renovated and they've never stopped renovating.  A couple of years later they were already renovating the renovations.  They've taken loads of perfectly good furniture to the dump.  For example they had a couch they were talking about replacing.  I asked them if I can have it if they do.  They said sure.  A while later I find out they've replaced it and threw the old one away.  Why not donate it?  I'm sure there are loads of ppl who need but can't afford one.

1 hour ago, optimista said:

"...the worms excreted about half of the polystyrene the ate as tiny particles and the rest was emitted as carbon dioxide."

Spot the problem?

Yep, biodegradable needs to be the solution. It is the only way.

On 10.12.2019, 14:25:59, BradinBayern said:

Yes, we have equipped our apartment using Ebay Kleinanzeigen.  My comment was just that I felt it is done less here than at home.  You can go to any given US suburb on any given summer's day and take your pick of garage sales. I miss live auction sales with a professional auctioneer.  Very few auction sales in general in this area.  

I also see German friends and relative's toss a lot of stuff that I would consider still useful.  Maybe just my personal experience.  

37 minutes ago, LeonG said:

I would agree.  I have friends who bought an old house and renovated and they've never stopped renovating.  A couple of years later they were already renovating the renovations.  They've taken loads of perfectly good furniture to the dump.  For example they had a couch they were talking about replacing.  I asked them if I can have it if they do.  They said sure.  A while later I find out they've replaced it and threw the old one away.  Why not donate it?  I'm sure there are loads of ppl who need but can't afford one.

This drives me nuts too. I am one of those people who use stuff until it breaks and cannot be repaired anymore.

One major problem is we live in a throw away society. How can it be that is is cheaper to throw something away than repair it? Especially televisions, washing machines, fridges etc...

Also replacing furniture even though it is perfectly ok...

I read this about a woman who did her old kitchen up using adhesive rolls rather than buying a whole new one.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-7546275/Thrifty-mum-reveals-transformed-outdated-kitchen-using-28-adhesive-wrap.html

I noticed my German relatives are also obsessed with renovating every few years. It does seem very wasteful.

I also miss the car boot sales alot.

35 minutes ago, LeonG said:

After having lived in Germany in the late 80s I expected to move back and once again witness a very frugal culture.  Sadly I am seeing many of the same wasteful behaviors that are in force in the US.  Around the corner from us is a thrift shop and we’ve bought our couches and many other items there.  Germans use to buy things to last and keep them forever, but no so anymore.

3 minutes ago, Anna66 said:

Also replacing furniture even though it is perfectly ok...

I noticed my German relatives are also obsessed with renovating every few years. It does seem very wasteful.

Happens in the US all the time.  Very wasteful.  People do things like buy new towels and sheets every year because they are tire dog the motif.  Just too much stuff.  And they redo the kitchen because they need something to do.

3 minutes ago, Anna66 said:

How can it be that is is cheaper to throw something away than repair it? Especially televisions, washing machines, fridges etc...

If I was to repair a satellite receiver for a client, it would need to be worth my while as its my job.... 

The usual price of a satellite receiver repair kit was about 9 GBP...    but it was an hours work to dis-asemble the receiver, repair and re-assemble... so lets add 50e to make it worth my time... 

Then there was the return costs and it was often a couple of hours round trip!   add 50e for fuel and time sat in a vehicle.. 

The reason for repair a sat receiver was prefered as it meant we didnt need to contact sky etc to get the card paiered to the new box!

I have just repaired my dish washer at the cost of 17€ plus 2 hours of my time... of course, I wouldnt charge myself for my time!   But if someone had to come and fit the 17€ parts, then it would be a 175€ call out and travel.... 75€ more would get a brand new dish washer... 

And thats why we live in the disposable world!

13 minutes ago, Anna66 said:

One major problem is we live in a throw away society. How can it be that is is cheaper to throw something away than repair it? Especially televisions, washing machines, fridges etc...

Like Spidey said, these things are cheaper to manufacture than they are to repair or if not completely cheaper, at least marginally less expensive to the point that it might be more economic for you to buy a new item with warranty than to get the old one repaired to likely have it break down again because they are not built to last very long either.

As for furniture, you can sand and paint if if you don't like how it looks but many people don't want to take the time for that.  It's easier to buy new.  Still, they don't have to throw it away, they can donate it to someone who needs it or to a charity.

6 minutes ago, LeonG said:

As for furniture, you can sand and paint if if you don't like how it looks but many people don't want to take the time for that.

We don't have a place for that. I'm sure we're not alone.