Pointless plastics..

210 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, Krieg said:

From where did you get that info?  You are in Berlin, so the responsible for garbage is BSR, you can see in their website they state that whatever that is not recycled is burned to create electricity and heating.   

So Krieg, where do you think all the plastic in the oceans comes from? Europe, North America, including Canada, exports its waste to Malaysia, for example. There was a news story recently about Canada exporting its "recyclable" baby nappies to the Phillippines. Many countries are paid for taking waste. What happens to it is not of interest to the exporting countries.

This is a disgrace and should be stopped under International law, if there is such a thing. NIMBY does not apply here!

Was at the farmer's market today and a lady brought glass jars to buy her olives.  I'm going to start bringing my own glass jars too seem to be a good idea. 

According to this article Styrofoam  is also bad for the environment. There's a lot of talk about using plastics, don't hear people talking much on social media or in the news about the negative  effects of using  Styrofoam.

Don't hear much either about how the plastics in feminine hygiene products are unsustainable  and bad for the planet. 

Styrofoam is usually very difficult or impossible to Re purpose.. 

If they used aluminium then its 100% re-useable and recycleable at very very low cost. 

Micro plastics in toothpaste is a horendous cause of damage to the oceans. 

I thought everyone knew styrofoam was of the devil

I learned that nigh 30 years ago - is this really something people don't know?  I'm not trying to pick a fight just really confused

On 12/10/2019, 7:30:31, pmd said:

I read a story in the Guardian a few days ago highlighting the problem of novelty Christmas jumpers - 

I'm American.  What is a Christmas jumper?  (a cooking apron?)  Please do tell me. 🤷‍♀️

On 12/11/2019, 4:49:36, alderhill said:

Up here in Niedersachsen it was the norm as far as I know and can remember for the last several years. For the past 2 years though, I've noticed stores one by one going to weighing at the till. I wonder why... 

In Konstanz, at our Edeka chain, we weigh everything ourselves. I've been to seveeral and it's always like that.  Interesting that it's changing in these other places.

3 hours ago, lisa13 said:

I learned that nigh 30 years ago - is this really something people don't know?  I'm not trying to pick a fight just really confused

Yes, of course people know this and have known it, but you don't hear about what's being done to diminish the use of Styrofoam as it's just as bad as other plastics. I don't buy Styrofoam occasionally I'll get a take out for dinner or a doggy bag and it comes in Styrofoam.  Going to see if I can bring my own dishes for take out.

According to this report, the world produces 14 million tons of Styrofoam a year

This stat is alarming.  

Americans alone throw away around 25 billion Styrofoam cups every year.

6 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

If they used aluminium then its 100% re-useable and recycleable at very very low cost. 

6 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

In it‘s Not. Saturate it with petrol and make poor mans‘ Napalm, works just like the real stuft.

19 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

I suspect they are equally horrifying no matter which side of the pond they come from :)

If you mean Christmas sweaters, yes. :lol::lol::lol: I saw some the other day and wanted to vomit. 

According to this link,  the Germans are now calling  Styrofoam "Air Pop" and it's being recycled in Germany.  I don't buy  styrofoam cups. When I have business meetings, I serve my guests their coffee and tea out of porcelain mugs. It  seems impersonal and not good hosting to serve guests using Stryofoam cups and it's such a waste. 

I think it's being renamed to remove the stigma that's associated with the product being bad, to sell more of it, I'm a cynic. 

Stryofoam is ubiquitous, it's used in so many industries.   Found this article interesting about the 30 year old war on Styrofoam. Found out from this article, the precursors to making Styrofoam was discovered in Berlin in 1839 and Styrofoam use increased exponentially during WW2. 

Btw, this video is selling the product and that example in the video at 1.15  using it to protect a laptop because if the laptop breaks during shipment it's bad for the environment sounds far-fetched . 

16 hours ago, Lavender Rain said:

Don't hear much either about how the plastics in feminine hygiene products are unsustainable  and bad for the planet.

Interesting link there!

Yes, there are other optionis, and I would certainly have gone for a menstrual cup if they had been around when all of this started, but I am a tampon girl and they have done me well all of these years.

This link is quite interesting for those looking to be more environmentally-friendly:

https://pistachioproject.com/2017/01/ways-to-have-an-eco-friendly-period.html

Also interesting, the mention of various pads, washable panty-liners , etc

Whilst not plastic, I found this article also to be quite interesting:

https://experimentselbstversorgung.net/klopapier-war-gestern/  (in German)

At the end of the day, there are lots of ways to work towards sustaining the planet, and I guess each of us has to decide how far s/he is willing to go.

R100, that article about an alternative to using toilet paper is the shit.  Says  13 Kilos per year is the average per capita consumption of TP in Germany.

Germany's minister  for the environment has introduced a bill to ban plastic bags.

The use of plastic bags is on the decline in Germany, but the 64% decrease since 2015 doesn't go far enough for Environment Minister Svenja Schulze. Her department has drafted a bill to ban them completely.

The EU parliament has issued a bill to ban single use plastics at want plastic bottles to be 90% recyclable by 2025.

The European Parliament has said plastics production is now 20 times higher than it was during the 1960s.

The proposals "will help us move on from single-use plastics and toward less consumption, the multiple use of better designed products, more innovation and a cleaner environment," said Margrete Auken, an EU lawmaker for the Greens/EFA group. "The next step is to move away from our waste-based culture."

The plastics ban was partly driven by China's decision to stop importing some of the EU's wast

19 hours ago, lisa13 said:

I remember when they used to pack take away food in it, sometimes they still do... Horrible stuff.

However, strangely when you pick it, it does have kind of a weird calming effect. There is something satisfying about picking and squeezing the stuff.

oh yes...my late kitty liked to eat it

I'd turn my back after unpacking something and he'd instantly wheedle his way into the box...crunch crunch crunch...

fishing the already chewed crumbly bits out of his mouth was no fun, I can assure you.  but if you ever saw him in the heat of the moment, he was just in heaven chewing away on it - all soft and springy yet..."edible" :/

Reminds me of my joy of popping bubble wrap, that's a plastic polymer that's also bad for the environment because it's not completely biodegradable. 

On 11/12/2019, 15:22:03, alderhill said:

all the cheapskate haggling over a euro or two when

Why buy pre-made salad? I always wonder who buys those pre-boiled eggs, like is it that hard? Now I know!

Sorry my point was that if you shop at Aldi/Lidl avoiding plastic is almost impossible. Their model is “pile it, sell it cheap” and to do that it means wrapping in loads of plastic. Considering how they dominate the  market here it seems that Germans are turning a blind eye to this.

edit ignore my post above phone crashed and couldn't edit.