Pointless plastics..

210 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Krieg said:

The problem is when they approach the "How to solve it" part.  Because mostly it is not really a solution and often it looks to me like naive solutions from people who had a very sheltered life

Well, they are kids. And German kids at that, the majority of whom, even the poorer classes, live rather cosy lives by global standards or even comparing to 'back home'

6 hours ago, Krieg said:

The world is really complicated and finding solutions is extremely difficult so when they minimize the problem to silly solutions is when I roll my eyes.

I hear ya, but I guess the point is more so that the kids learn they can take initiative themselves in some way.

I only ever drink tap water, so I don't feel I have a horse in this race. Buying water at all, even fizzy stuff, just seems completely outlandish to me. I get why people like carbonated water, and personally I don't dislike it either, but I only ever buy it if I have (German) guests coming over or I'm making mixed drinks or something.

2 hours ago, kiplette said:

he plastic ones were impossible to keep clean, especially that annoying bit at the bottom

And when they say don't pour boiling water in them, they do mean it!

A previous tenant left a couple still in their boxes in the cellar room (along with other random things), so for a while I used one as my bring-along water bottle. Went to clean it one day with boiling water and vooomp it shrunk down to a hard withered thing, like any soft plastic would. Woops.

10 hours ago, Krieg said:

I like that the schools are creating awareness of the climate change issues among other social problems in the modern world.  The problem is when they approach the "How to solve it" part.

I am all for sound enviromentel polices. I normally do not drink bottled water or soda, so I don't really know much about the possible harmful effects of drinking from plastic containers.

What is problem with our climate that needs to be solved?

12 hours ago, Keleth said:

We brought one because we live on the 3rd floor with no lift.

That reminds me - we lived on the 6th floor with no lift when we bought one. 

18 hours ago, fraufruit said:

That reminds me - we lived on the 6th floor with no lift when we bought one. 

We used to dream of living on the 6th floor,we used to live in a shoebox in middle o road. ;)

Forget the septic tank. We were too poor for childhood. I was born 20 years old so my parents didn't have to find me more'n one pair of shoes.

I was conceived in a pointless plastic septic tank and wheeled off to a cheap Third World country to be born - Yorkshire!