Pointless plastics..

209 posts in this topic

A shopping trip just the other day got me wondering just how much pointless plastic is out there for us to buy. 

If we didnt buy the Items, then less would be produced.

Not all" plastics" are  reycleable so other containers/Material need to be used... 

As mentioned in the other "Climate change" there so many products that really piss me of as they are a total and utter un-nessacary use of plastic.

I sit here in my parents conservatory (or laets call it an Observatory!!) and The only Plastic I tems that I see are ... 

The "Mehrweg" bottle of apfelschorle... an old half Paulaner crate thats going back to DE this morning, The plastic guttering thats been on the garage for over 30yrs and a water butt thats been there just as long... 

The Garden furniture is cast metal and Wood... the Watering can is at least 50 years old and made of galvanised metal... and 2 metal buckets are out there too... 

That just goes to show that my parents didnt start life in a "disposable world"...

From what I have been told, not much of the stuff we put in the gelbesacke can be and actually is re-cycled.. so maybe its time to start looking to the past for future inspiration...

Plastic things that I feel should be banned from retail outlets  are..

Disposable rozors.

Shower gels

Shampoo in plastic containers

Plastic buckets.

Plastic eating utensils

Plastic caps from aerosol cans

Plastic storage containers!

Everything from Ikea... 

What else should be removed from public access?

It would be so easy to put shampoo and dish soap in bags.

I've posted this before, but you can extend the life of your razor by well over six months by sharpening it...

28 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Plastic eating utensils

Disposable plastic utensils and straws will be banned EU-wide from 2021.

This one I disagree, they are used multiple times and for years, so no big deal.  We should care more about single use plastic.

Germany has reduced the use of plastic bags by 65% compared to 2015.  However plastic bags are only 1% of the single use plastic problem.   I think the biggest offender is food items.

Plastic shopping bags can be used multiple times. (At least we do it)

I don't understand, why it is allowed to sell plastic garbage bags!

They are only used once and than thrown away.

Why are plasic shopping bags haram and garbage bags halal?

I just linked this series trailer on the climate thread...

https://www.netflix.com/de-en/title/81002391

The big message is that we just don't know what the real cost is of the items we buy. 

The episode relating to plastics states that only 9% of plastics that we submit for recycling is actually recycled. Lots of food packaging is sorted and disposed of....cling film, plastic bags,  soft fruit packaging, polystyrene meat trays, crisp packets  etc.  Walkers crisps in the UK had a big problem when consumers discovered that the packs aren't recyclable.  Many people posted empty packs back to them. The recycling sorters call the majority of items 'wish cycling'. 

@Krieg

I used to think that too... but they are very brittle and are easilly smashed...

I started to use a few old suitcases... then when they are needed, I empty them on the bed... then when I get back from Jollies, I re-pack!

If I havent used or worn something in the past 3 years.. its usually chucked in the donation bins...   I de-clutter quite often..

If I havent used or worn something in the past 3 years.. its usually chucked in the donation bins...   I de-clutter quite often..

This as well an important thing, our levels of consumerism are ridiculous because things are extremely cheap, and the irony, they are cheap because they have pretty bad quality and they are all plastic-y.   How is it possible that you can buy a pair of shoes made in China and shipped to your door for 10€ or 20€?  They have crappy materials so they last a couple of months, they get dumped and the cycle repeats.  Because people nowadays prefer constant new stuff instead of something decent that last a few years.

Plastic cleaning liquid spray bottles...apparently, the spray head isn't recyclable.  Many manufacturers produce these bottles so that they can't be easily reusable i.e. Sagrotan.  I've saved a few bottles and refill them with diluted cleaning liquid. Of course the refill is plastic too though far less overall....cheaper too.

2 years ago, my favourite market stall gave their loyal customers a cotton shopping bag and put up notices they weren't going to supply plastic bags anymore. When I go there now I just hand them the bag and they fill it up with what ever I pick. Obviously things like beans, sprouts etc have to be packed in a paper bag first. Lidl do their Feta cheese in small plastic containers, I use 3 of them, 1 for my medication, the other two for my hobby. as for other plastics, it's really down to the retailer and manufacturer's. As an indication of our plastic usage, I empty our plastic waste once a week, a family of 3 and we get through 6 litres of milk a week. The bag is never full.

9 minutes ago, French bean said:

, I empty our plastic waste once a week, a family of 3 and we get through 6 litres of milk a week. The bag is never full.

Where do you shop? 

it seems every day or two I’m hauling down a large bag of mostly plastic waste (which incidentally I never put in recycling always in the garbage) most of which is food products. 2 pre-made salads along with feltsalat, hard boiled eggs, cherry tomatoes and a few other odds and ends and you’ve got a full bag of plastic. and that is just the tip if the iceberg. 

The market, very little waste, the local butcher, everything is wrapped in a very thin plastic bag - things like mincemeat or paper - things like sausages and coldmeats.

Supermarket, fresh produce in paper bags. We very rarely buy prepapered or prewashed food. When we buy cheese from the Deli counter, they promote people bringing in their own cheese box, they'll then wrap it in waxed paper and put it in your box for you. If we go to DM then we have waste but again we don't buy lots of prepacked stuff. Yes, we buy plastic bottled shower gel and soap etc but if I need new razor blades then I buy the single blades for a traditional razor rather than the plastic mounted multiple blades. Cuts my throat up really badly but I tend not to wet shave until I have 3 days growth and after a shower when the hairs are softened. I also electric shave but that's no where near as good as wet shaving. If I go Müller, I just put my purchases in my pocket, I just but the odd thing at a time. Bread, we go to a proper Meister Bäckerei, everything in paper bags which are big enough for us to put our food waste in.

The thing that surprises me in Germany is that there seems to be a lot of concern for the environment, yet reuse often is ignored.  In the US, we had tons of auctions and garage sales and it was considered socially acceptable to buy used.  Here, in my experience anyway, things will be thrown out much sooner.  Ripping out kitchens every time you move is another example of a huge waste.  Homes protected by historic preservation are renovated, but "Young Timer" homes from the 60's and 70's will be torn down instead of renovated.  Seems like more waste than plastic straws.  

I am glad to see the Repair Cafes though.  That is something cool that I didn't experience in the US (although we have them too).

Palm leaf is a good replacement material for plastic in many cases, but then palm production has also had a terrible impact on the environment.  You can't win

7 minutes ago, BradinBayern said:

The thing that surprises me in Germany is that there seems to be a lot of concern for the environment, yet reuse often is ignored.  In the US, we had tons of auctions and garage sales and it was considered socially acceptable to buy used.  Here, in my experience anyway, things will be thrown out much sooner.  Ripping out kitchens every time you move is another example of a huge waste.  Homes protected by historic preservation are renovated, but "Young Timer" homes from the 60's and 70's will be torn down instead of renovated.  Seems like more waste than plastic straws.  

This is done via the Internets nowadays and plenty of German cities are thriving with it.    For example, in Facebook, you can find your local group to give things away or to request things, for example "Free your stuff Berlin",  "Free your stuff Hamburg", and so on.   

To sell second hand things you have eBay Kleinanzeigen and it is huge.

We often putting things on Kleinanzeigen or take things to the charity shop. Twice a year there's the equivalent to a car boot sale in the town and outside the library there is a drop off point for old books, you can leave or take books FOC

1 hour ago, Krieg said:

This is done via the Internets nowadays and plenty of German cities are thriving with it.    For example, in Facebook, you can find your local group to give things away or to request things, for example "Free your stuff Berlin",  "Free your stuff Hamburg", and so on.   

To sell second hand things you have eBay Kleinanzeigen and it is huge.

Yes, we have equipped our apartment using Ebay Kleinanzeigen.  My comment was just that I felt it is done less here than at home.  You can go to any given US suburb on any given summer's day and take your pick of garage sales. I miss live auction sales with a professional auctioneer.  Very few auction sales in general in this area.  

I also see German friends and relative's toss a lot of stuff that I would consider still useful.  Maybe just my personal experience.  

5 hours ago, Rushrush said:

Where do you shop? 

it seems every day or two I’m hauling down a large bag of mostly plastic waste (which incidentally I never put in recycling always in the garbage) most of which is food products. 2 pre-made salads along with feltsalat, hard boiled eggs, cherry tomatoes and a few other odds and ends and you’ve got a full bag of plastic. and that is just the tip if the iceberg. 

Stop buying pre-made salads in plastic containers!  And other food products in demon plastic.

18 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

Stop buying pre-made salads in plastic containers!  And other food products in demon plastic.

Hence my question, where do you shop, just got back from Aldi, bought 12 items, 10 were wrapped in plastic, wraps, bagels, butter, bananas etc. You get the point. Aldi recently switched their vinegar from a glass jar to a plastic one, less weight to carry up but very wasteful.

Noticed Coffee Fellows switched 100% biodegradable cups, you can literally toss them out the window and they will break down into nothing in about 4-6 weeks. Even more impressive is the taste of the coffee isn't affected!

9 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

And recycle!

The reason I stopped recycling (save tin and food stuffs) is that the bulk of the stuff that gets thrown into the gelbesack is compressed into massive bales and shipped of to some third world country. Well what do the you think the chances that a baleof mixed dirty plastic shipped to Africa will get properly recycled? More than likey it will either get burned or dumped in the ocean. At least I know the garbage I create will at least be disposed of properly. It's huge issue as  there is almost no market for most plastics. I highly recommend the Planet Money episode on recycling. The sad conclusion they came to was to save the oceans stop recycling. Obviously more than just that but you get the idea. 

8 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

A shopping trip just the other day got me wondering just how much pointless plastic is out there for us to buy. 

If we didnt buy the Items, then less would be produced.

Not all" plastics" are  reycleable so other containers/Material need to be used... 

As mentioned in the other "Climate change" there so many products that really piss me of as they are a total and utter un-nessacary use of plastic.

I sit here in my parents conservatory (or laets call it an Observatory!!) and The only Plastic I tems that I see are ... 

The "Mehrweg" bottle of apfelschorle... an old half Paulaner crate thats going back to DE this morning, The plastic guttering thats been on the garage for over 30yrs and a water butt thats been there just as long... 

The Garden furniture is cast metal and Wood... the Watering can is at least 50 years old and made of galvanised metal... and 2 metal buckets are out there too... 

That just goes to show that my parents didnt start life in a "disposable world"...

From what I have been told, not much of the stuff we put in the gelbesacke can be and actually is re-cycled.. so maybe its time to start looking to the past for future inspiration...

Plastic things that I feel should be banned from retail outlets  are..

Disposable rozors.

Shower gels

Shampoo in plastic containers

Plastic buckets.

Plastic eating utensils

Plastic caps from aerosol cans

Everything from Ikea... 

What else should be removed from public access?

This is an excellent thread topic, Spider! It is definitely one of the issues which will no longer be allowed to fall asleep on our planet.

I will also start to rethink my habits.

About time...