Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Nonresident German citizen health insurance

18 posts in this topic

Hi Toytowners, it's been awhile since my last log in.

My nonresident German father in law is visiting us and has no German health insurance and has now been very sick for over a week and is being a typical Schwaben and stubbornly refusing to go to the hospital as he is worried he will incur massive bills. 

His domicile is in Guinea West Africa where there is no health insurance according to him.  And last I was in Africa that was the case too.

Is there a health insurance he can buy for his duration of stay in Germany, like an ADAC travel health insurance?  

AFAIK you have to purchase travel insurance before you leave.

Buying insurance against an event that has already occurred is a fallacy in any case.

He should try seeing a doctor instead of going straight to hospital. You can call 116 117 to find out which practices nearby can see him. More about that.

Best of luck and hope dad-in-law gets better soon.

How old is your father-in-law, crossman? If not really old...he can get something..but it won´t cover whatever is wrong with him right now..dems the rules...

4 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

Buying insurance against an event that has already occurred is a fallacy in any case.

He should try seeing a doctor instead of going straight to hospital. You can call 116 117 to find out which practices nearby can see him. More about that.

Well, the father-in-law is German so maybe he doesn´t HAVE TO purchase anything but, as you say, fire already in the building...

8 minutes ago, john g. said:

How old is your father-in-law, crossman? If not really old...he can get something..but it won´t cover whatever is wrong with him right now..dems the rules...

Not sure as to his age, I would guess mid 60s. What did you have in mind? My wife will take him to see our local and very inept Hausarzt tomorrow.

Paying as a Selbstzahler isn't very expensive, for price examples, please see:

And if it turns out to be something serious, as long as he was insured with German public health insurance before he emigrated, he can move back to Germany (= simply register his address at your house) and get back into public health insurance, which means that all his medical costs would be covered even for this pre-existing condition:

Good post. Panda, but some  incredible paperwork. We don´t know how long he is staying in Germany. " He is visiting us."

He would need to show how he was publicly insured in Germany decades ago and that he has not been self-employed the past five years in Africa etc.

Maybe possible but if a tourist?

Selbstzahler maybe the best way to go?

50 minutes ago, crossman said:

Not sure as to his age, I would guess mid 60s. What did you have in mind? My wife will take him to see our local and very inept Hausarzt tomorrow.

You don´t know your father.in-law´s age?

1 hour ago, crossman said:

If you consider your hausarzt as "very inept" as you say, since he's self-paying you may want to consider finding a more competent doctor to assess and treat his health condition. 

18 minutes ago, Lavender Rain said:

If you consider your hausarzt as "very inept" as you say, since he's self-paying you may want to consider finding a more competent doctor to assess and treat his health condition. 

Only one within walking distance as I will be at work and my wife does not drive.

31 minutes ago, john g. said:

You don´t know your father.in-law´s age?

Lol, John I tend to forget my own age at times...

1 hour ago, PandaMunich said:

Paying as a Selbstzahler isn't very expensive, for price examples, please see:

And if it turns out to be something serious, as long as he was insured with German public health insurance before he emigrated, he can move back to Germany (= simply register his address at your house) and get back into public health insurance, which means that all his medical costs would be covered even for this pre-existing condition:

Thanks Panda, I will let him know.

1 hour ago, El Jeffo said:

Thanks El Jeffo 

1 hour ago, crossman said:

Only one within walking distance as I will be at work and my wife does not drive. 

Is a taxi or public transportation an option?

18 hours ago, Lavender Rain said:

Is a taxi or public transportation an option?

Indeed. You are trying to avoid a (potentially) multiple thousand Euro bill - even 100 Euro for a taxi would be cheap...

Whatever the illness is, it can only get worse if untreated!

Also,  might be really good to check out as he is coming from Guinea, West Africa,, where  many tropical, haemorrhagic  diseases  are found. We do not know the symptoms he is suffering from,  but from a medical view- I would hie me down to the  doctor!

An update:

As it is not me who is sick but my stubborn father in law I have zero say in what he should or shouldn't do, nor does he ever listen to outside advice. He refused to pay for a taxi (or have a taxi paid for him) and instead had a friend come from Stuttgart to take him to a HA there.  We finally persuaded him to go to the doctor and get his blood checked, the end result was that he has malaria.  He came back angry that the doctor made him pay €30 for the blood test. I then lost my patience and told him he should be thankful that he wasn't charged €300 and next time he comes to Germany he better come with a health travel insurance. 

Thanks for your advice folks, much appreciated. 

Bloody hell, crossman..he sounds like an entitled youngster! Malaria..jeez. wat nu?

Just wondering...is he allowed to fly back to Africa, get on board a plane in Germany etc? When  is he leaving your clutches?

He will drive back to West Africa, he does this every time he visits, he buys a Mercedes and drives back and sells it in Morocco. Not sure what his travel plans are and if it is legal to travel while under the influence of malaria 😏

He buys a Mercedes every time he visits?

:P

Not sure of the legality of flogging a car each time in Morocco.

Some father-in-law you have!!!

Sounds like a case and a half!:P