UK Election night watching?

44 posts in this topic

Hey all,

so I was wondering if anyone knows of a pub or suitable venue where one can follow the election night. I know it's unlikely as it'll be the wee hours of the morning when results come in, especially if it is a tight result (although I remember in 2017 we knew by about 11pm UK Time that it was going to be a hung parliament...)

If anyone is up for it, let me know.

Cheers!

Wein Salon, Schreinerstrasse 59 in Friedrichshain. From 22.30 onwards...however the FB page says they're already fully booked...

Thanks John, I might try my luck...

Any other suggestions? I would offer my living room, but I don't have one (nor a telly) so that puts paid to that idea.

Edit: I messaged them, they say in their FB post that they will recommend alternative venues to those who cannot be accommodated at the Wein Salon, so no-one misses out.

Can we vote? When I tried to vote in the Brexit referendum, I was told I couldn't as I had been away from the UK for too long.

21 minutes ago, Acton said:

Can we vote? When I tried to vote in the Brexit referendum, I was told I couldn't as I had been away from the UK for too long.

Our of the country over 15 years you can't vote.  Luckily only ten for me so my proxy is in.

Re. the OP, I shall keep well away from news until Friday 13th - I am terrified of the result.  I hope I shall not need my diazepam.

Reply from Labour Berlin received last night:

"The other venues are Das Gift in Neukölln and Buchhandlung, Tucholsky Straße 32 in Mitte,

But our plan is to check who from those already 'booked' definitely intend to come and then see how much room there is" (that is at the Wein Salon)."

Rodisi - I can hear you, I am in two minds myself and may hide under a duvet...

As far as I can see it's too close to call. The Tory papers are really trying to scare people into voting Tory but there's still an element of a lack of trust in BoJo. Without Corbyn Labour would romp home. My guess is for another hung parliament with the Lib Dems selling out to the highest bidder. DUP may suffer as well.

The exit poll is normally enough to indicate what the result will be.  So you will know this just after 10pm UK / 23:00 German time.

So no need to stay up the whole night.  I might force myself to stay awake until then, before trotting off to the land of slumber,

On 12/11/2019, 9:41:09, French bean said:

As far as I can see it's too close to call. The Tory papers are really trying to scare people into voting Tory but there's still an element of a lack of trust in BoJo. Without Corbyn Labour would romp home. My guess is for another hung parliament with the Lib Dems selling out to the highest bidder. DUP may suffer as well.

The indications I have seen suggest a clear Tory majority.  With a hung parliament the best possible outcome for remainers.

7 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

The exit poll is normally enough to indicate what the result will be.  So you will know this just after 10pm UK / 23:00 German time.

Agreed, but misery likes company - although there may be surprises... Anyway, I'll head to Tucholsky, it's close enough for a short bike ride. and if the exits are depressing, then I can drown my sorrows there :-P

Here's an interesting site that tells you when results for individual constituencies are predicted to come in https://public.tableau.com/profile/christabel.cooper#!/vizhome/Time_15760854433110/Timings

7 hours ago, French bean said:

Corbyn's got to go.

He will.  And sooner than he would like!

Jo Swinson will also probably step down.

But what does this mean for Scotland?

...The Beast of Bolsover has also been kicked out.

How long was Dennis Skinner an MP? 40 odd years or so.

Well see how BoJo keeps to his commitments to increase spending on NHS, Defence, house building, Police and Justice, Education, Public Transport, Infrastructure AND give Tax cuts. They've been sold a Pup and they deserve the government they now have.

5 minutes ago, French bean said:

They've been sold a Pup and they deserve the government they now have.

Indeed. Farewell UK. It was nice to know you.

1 hour ago, dj_jay_smith said:

But what does this mean for Scotland?

The Tories will not be able to control themselves and stick the boot in. They now have a lot of Northern Turkeys to feed.

Then independence.

55 minutes ago, French bean said:

Well see how BoJo keeps to his commitments to increase spending on NHS, Defence, house building, Police and Justice, Education, Public Transport, Infrastructure AND give Tax cuts. ...

+

during an economic downturn.