Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Renewal of Passport

4 posts in this topic

Hello friends,

My situation is like this. I am a citizen of India but I have a permanent residency permit for Germany (Niederlassungserlaubnis). This is however linked to the passport (it always is).

My Indian passport is about to expire on 29.06.2020. 

I will be flying to India for three weeks on the 19.12.2019. So when I come back to Germany, the validity of the passport will be less than 6 months old.

My question: Will I be allowed to leave India and enter Germany even though the validity is less than 6 months?

I also have the option of renewing my passport in India directly when I am there, through the Tatkaal option. Then I will have both my old and my new passport. My Niederlassungserlaubnis is however linked to my old passport and I can only link it to the new passport once I am back in Germany in January. 

Will there be any problems in this case leaving India and re-entering Germany?

Or both cases are fine and I won't have any problems? Has anyone experience in this regard?

Thanks very much :)

The requirements on passport validity more than xxx months normally only apply to:

• New visa applications
  • Tourists/business people entering visa free

As you already have a visa/permit which has its own validity not related to the passport then this will be OK for you to enter Germany with < 6 months validity.

Once you get your new passport, you need to arrange an appointment at the ABH to get your permit transferred from your old to your new passport.  

In the meantime while you are waiting for this you will either have to just travel on your old passport to/from Schengen countries.  Or take both your new and old with you.

Hi dj_jay_smith

Many thanks for your reply. My residence permit itself is 'unbefristet', so it does not have a deadline. However on the residence permit, my passport number is mentioned and also that it expires on 29.06.2020.

If I understand you correctly, that should not cause a problem, right? Just wanted to draw your attention to the fact, that the passport number and validity is mentioned on the residence permit.

Yes, I will get my permit transferred to my new passport once I get it, thanks :-)

When you get your residence permit moved to the new passport, then this will be updated according.  You just have to keep hold of both passports until this is done.

Actually, having said that, I believe that many cities are now issuing separate permit cards.  So that you will no longer have this problem in the future.  But it means you have to carry around an extra card.