Asked to step down after passing probezeit for CULTURE FIT

37 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, ExPattheDog said:

Yes, of course. With my role, as an English speaker in Germany, the job market is quite challenging. It sucks no matter what!  Especially since it doesn't seem legal or moral

Hold the horses, how good is your German?

You said, there are people who have to report to you... In what language do they do it?

Just now, franklan said:

Hold the horses, how good is your German?

You said, there are people who have to report to you... In what language do they do it?

English - our whole company & all of our clients speak english

5 minutes ago, onemark said:

See your works council representative immediately!

The German term for this is "Betriebsrat".

Ask if there is one at your company! (A lot of newer ones don't have one, unfortunately).

Just now, Metall said:

The German term for this is "Betriebsrat".

Ask if there is one at your company! (A lot of newer ones don't have one, unfortunately).

Unfortunately we have no HR yet since we're so early stage -  ughhh 

NOT HR!!

The works council / Betriebsrat is the organization that works for YOU, the employee!

HR is to protect the company.

Please read up on this.

You really need to talk to a lawyer, as you seem to know very little about the German system.

6 minutes ago, Metall said:

NOT HR!!

The works council / Betriebsrat is the organization that works for YOU, the employee!

HR is to protect the company.

Please read up on this.

You really need to talk to a lawyer, as you seem to know very little about the German system.

We don't have Betriebsrat either. I know the difference between the two, but gave the example of HR to demonstrate how early stage we are. 

19 minutes ago, ExPattheDog said:

Unfortunately we have no HR yet since we're so early stage -  ughhh 

OK, the company is early stage, but ...

... there are feedback rounds with results like 8/10.

... there are calculations like measuring the KPI of individuals.

May I ask who innitiated the existance of the feedback rounds and the KPI measuring? 

3 minutes ago, franklan said:

OK, the company is early stage, but ...

... there are feedback rounds with results like 8/10.

... there are calculations like measuring the KPI of individuals.

May I ask who innitiated the existance of the feedback rounds and the KPI measuring? 

3 minutes ago, franklan said:

Do you have a point or are you just asking condescending questions to be annoying?

4 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

if your company is small enough it may be legal for them to fire you no matter the reason.

here are some basics that might help you figure out whether your company fits the mold

https://www.anwalt.de/rechtstipps/die-kuendigung-durch-den-arbeitgeber-im-kleinbetrieb_065424.html

After adding up all the part timers, trainees etc. the company has to have fewer than ten full time employees to be able to fire more easily.

Th OP already said 30 people work there - that might be hard to crunch down to ten, even if everybody is a part timer. Just saying.

Talk to a lawyer now!!!

2 minutes ago, ExPattheDog said:

Do you have a point or are you just asking condescending questions to be annoying?

Could be that we're getting closer to the answer about cultural fits.

So, who introduced these feedback rounds and the KPI stuff to this early stage company? 

2 minutes ago, Metall said:

Talk to a lawyer now!!!

I wrote to one :) open to recommendations for others. thanks for your  help!

I am not sure what you found condescending about those questions.  I think he's trying to get to a person/entity that might possibly be fulfilling an hr-like role, is my guess.

regardless, maybe if you don't like what someone is saying ignore it just in case you read it wrong?

Just now, franklan said:

Could be that we're getting closer to the answer about cultural fits.

So, who introduced these feedback rounds and the KPI stuff to this early stage company? 

Not really.  Rather,  youre being a bit insensitive at the moment by asking random questions

1 minute ago, lisa13 said:

I am not sure what you found condescending about those questions.  I think he's trying to get to a person/entity that might possibly be fulfilling an hr-like role, is my guess.

maybe if you don't like what someone is saying ignore it just in case you read it wrong?

yes, sorry just a bit sensitive at the moment considering the news this morning.  my apologies :)

the were brought up by the growth lead or someone a while back, unfortunately nothing like HR exists there's just the goal of following what are known to be best practices

To be honest, the entire company sounds like a typical Berlin fly by night cheapass startup.

Hire a bunch of foreigners who don't know their rights, disregard all German employment laws, institute fancy metrics, no HR, no works council, and pretend to be a US hire and fire company in an at will state.

Oh yes, and when CEO's nephew needs a job, or the lady whose Dad put in money etc. etc. get antsy, then offload the most innocent foreigner. Rinse and repeat.

(Yes that last bit was mean, but we've seen so many examples of this, *especially* in Berlin.)