Contract Help Translation/Interpretation

5 posts in this topic

Hi all,


I have a friend who has an employment contract with a confusing detail in it. What's confusing is the overtime part, it's understood that overtime can be taken as time off but it's not clear at what rate it should be paid if payment is preferred.

In one clause the contract says:


Mehrarbeitszeit ist zu vergüten und auf Wunsch des Arbeitnehmers in Freizeit auszugleichen. Als Ausgleichszeiten sind nur ganze Tage, halbe Tage sowie um mindestens eine Stunde verkürzte Tagesarbeitszeiten zulässig. Der Mehrarbeitszuschlag ist mit 35 % von 1/169 des Monatsentgeltes zu errechnen.


And another it says:


4)    Für Umsatzbeteiligte gelten die Absätze 1 bis 3 entsprechend. Für sie ist Mehrarbeit abgegolten, wenn die monatliche Umsatzbeteiligung den Garantielohn zuzüglich Mehrarbeitsvergütung und Mehrarbeitszuschlag übersteigt.


What's confusing is the use of the word "Mehrarbeitszuschlag" and "Mehrarbeitsvergütung" . Is the Mehrarbeitszuschlag an extra 35% on top of normal hourly pay that is added as overtime or is overtime only paid a 35% of the hourly wage?


Thank you everyone who takes the time to reply. And for those that can private message I can send the whole contract. Thank you.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

A Zuschlag is a supplement in this case, so if it's paid, it will be paid at 35% above the regular rate.


If your friend gets commissions, the overtime is considered compensated if the commission amount exceeds the overtime pay described above.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

To be exact, your regular rate is calculated as 1/169 of your monthly pay. So let's take a simple example in which you earn €2000/month:


2000/169 = 11.83

1.35 * 11.83 = 15.98


So unless you take time off in lieu, your overtime would be compensated at €15.98/hour. Again, this is assuming you don't work on commissions, as per your clause 4) above.


If you think your employer is paying you incorrectly, HR would be your first destination. If they don't resolve the matter to your satisfaction, you'd need to consult with a lawyer who specializes in labor law.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now