English radio in germany for traffic news, ice etc

15 posts in this topic

Dear friends,

I hope I am posting it in the right thread, if not I apologize and please guide me to the existing thread. 

I often drive 500 km a week for my office work and would love to be able to follow the traffic updates and road condition updates like snow, ice etc. Unfortunately I do not follow German quite yet, not at the speed of std. radio announcement anyway to make sense of it. 

Someone told me that that there are or used to be American Forces Network radio channels in English which would serve my purpose. But again google did not help much and someone again told me that either they are discontinued or localized. 

So, I am checking if there is any known ways that can help me out? 

My travel route is typically from Wiesbaden towards Stuttgart over A5/A6/A67. 

Just now, El Jeffo said:

Damm! You beat me by about 2 second!

So then I will expand.

@Lalalander

You might just be better off getting a Navigation system with live updates via your phone.  This will be quicker to receive details of problems, receive more detail, and will re-route your automatically etc.  And from what I have heard of AFN radio, it will often put you to sleep!

If you also use German Radio then you will eventually get used to picking out the key phrases to understand more.

My experience is that Google maps is often more reliable than the local German radio!  Although a combination of both is best.

I used to live in NRW when they still broadcast the BFBS (British forces radio) and they had traffic.  This was good as the prime-time shows were good and interesting and you could understand the traffic situation!  But this is also not available any more (may more localised to the remaining bases, I don't know).

2 minutes ago, dj_jay_smith said:

Damm! You beat me by about 2 second!

Once again, my 11-digit typing method emerges triumphant!

For the one time a week you drive there and back, I wióuld simply just sit with the traffic rather than trying to avoid it...

it really is pot luck... 

AFN as you probably know tends to peter out around buttleborn...   and AFN stuttgart tends to fade as you get out by leonberg... 

Not only that... AFN is dreadful radio even on a good day... its shite!

There is a app called Staumelder..  it may help you chose which way to travel

@SpiderPig Thank you for the info on AFN. So the vote is unanimous that AFN content is shit and is a driving hazard on autobahn. :D

Will check out the app. 

I drive 3 times a week and my concern is not so much with traffic jams but with frozen roads. Would hate to be late for dinner(s) flying off a bridge.  

They keep the roads, especially Autobahns cleared and salted very well. Just keep a safe speed.

Our car navi shows staus and has breakdown/accident reports. It will re-route us when needed but we don't always use that advice because every other car navi does the same and the secondary roads can get just as bad.

2 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

And from what I have heard of AFN radio, it will often put you to sleep!

That's sad.  I lived in Bonn in the late 1960s/early 1970s, and AFN had the best collection of stoner and acid rock in the world.  It was definitely lively then! :wacko:

It was also lively when I moved here over 30 yrs. ago. I gained a great appreciation for country music plus all the news from back home and around the world.

When I have to drive around here, I go to googlemaps.com  on my smart phone, zoom in on where I am, and click on Traffic or Verkehr  and you will see all the traffic, accidents, construction, etc.  You can also use it as a GPS (Navi) and it will steer you around traffic jams.

12 minutes ago, ant3269 said:

BFBS radio is still available in the Bielefeld/Gütersloh/Paderborn area

But they will only report about  A5/A6/A67 when aliens abduct people from there...