Advice about moving to Forchheim

4 posts in this topic

Hello. I'm considering moving to Forchheim (and commute to FAU South Campus in Erlangen to study). The village seems quite nice, however I'd like to ask your advice (any remarks really) about moving there.

In particular,  I have some questions:

1. How is it in terms of security/safety? For example, is it safe to leave a bike locked near the train station and to walk at night?
  2. Does the "Piasten" company affect the neighborhood surrounding its Factory Outlet in Forchheim? In particular. I'd like to know about the pollution in the area surrounding it. 
  3. Are there public libraries or cafes or any other nice public studying places in Forchheim?
  4. Is the nearest hospital the one in Erlangen, or are there others in the village?
  5. Is there a public pool (for swimming) that is open on Saturdays & Sundays? From the website of "Koenigsbad Forchheim" it is not quite clear to me if the swimming is only limited on some days in the week or it can be performed also during the weekend. 

Thank you!

1. No idea.

2. You can ask at the environmental office for statistics.

3. You can use google maps (or any other online map) to see cafes, restaurants in any area of the world. Literally. If you google cafes Forchheim the first item will be a map with cafes/restaurants highlighted.

4. Again, google is your friend. The German word for hospital is Krankenhaus. 

5. You mean this website  https://www.koenigsbad-forchheim.de/koenigliche-badefreuden/oeffnungszeiten.html  isn´t clear as to what days it is open? Note the German word for Saturday is Samstag and Sunday is Sonntag. 

Seriously, a visit to the city would probably also help. If you live in Nuremberg, it´s literally less than an hour away.

I'd say Franken is all relatively safe. I lived in Nuremberg and walked home at night and never worried, so I'd say it's a safe bet that Forchheim is just as safe if not safer. That being said... no bike is safe from being stolen. Anywhere. Ever. 

2 hours ago, LostBetweenCountries said:

no bike is safe from being stolen.

You can include it into your Hausratversicherung though.

On 12/2/2019, 1:27:09, yv said:

Are there public libraries or cafes or any other nice public studying places in Forchheim?

Yes

On 12/2/2019, 1:27:09, yv said:

Is the nearest hospital the one in Erlangen, or are there others in the village?

No and yes. Note though, that for everyday medical issues you´re expected to go to a doctor´s office, not to a hospital. If you´re unable to go there call 116117 to ask for a house visit by the the doc on duty. For real emergencies dial 112.