Turo rental car - speeding ticket

23 posts in this topic

Have you requested a copy of the ticket so you can see what the real charge is? Then just double it as is stated on the website. 

It just doesn't sound like a scam to me.

On 2.12.2019, 11:13:48, El Jeffo said:

To be fair, it doesn't mean it's not a scam. And just because it's in the contract doesn't make it legal.

Until recently, companies could get away with two-figure charges for issuing a payment reminder, until the courts ruled that they couldn't treat that as a profit center and limited them to the actual costs incurred - around €5 IIRC. The circumstances here are so similar that it would surprise me if the charges actually stood up to legal review. But that would require someone to challenge the case up the court hierarchy - probably a Verbraucherzentrale, because no individual will risk the potential hundreds or thousands in legal fees over a €25 charge. That's what they're counting on.

What the rental car companies are doing with their administrative fees is completely legal, and renters agree to it.  This, by definition, means it is not a scam.

Thank you all for the replies ! The copy of the ticket was for 25$ and 25$ for admin fees(ticket shows 25$). Notice that i didn't pay it through the rental service(Turo), it was basically a private paypal transfer. That's why i wasn't sure about that fee. Anyway though, I guess it is what it is, tough to say for sure, but I would pay it with any other rental service anyway, so I guess it's ok.