Turo rental car - speeding ticket

23 posts in this topic

I recently got a speeding ticket for my car rental with Turo, and my host asked me to privately pay him an extra 25euro administration fee.

I wanted to ask, is this normal for speeding tickets ? Is there really an administration fee ? Is it something that Turo charges maybe ?

The cost of the actual ticket is 25euros too, so basically paying the double as much for the admin fee.

Thanks !

6 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

What was in your rental contract?

I don't see an administration fee anywhere, other than a 3% processing fee and only if the reimbursement tool is used. But I thought it may be something that is charged by the German government instead. But since I am basically transferring the money to the host via Paypal, just wanted to make sure.

Just now, fraufruit said:

Well, that is exactly what i said above :D I've googled that before.

But i am wondering, are there government admin fees on top of the tickets base payment ?

You will notice that Turo states (Cost of ticket or toll(incl. governmental charges)*

Is this really like 25euros extra for a 25euros ticket?

Yeah... since i pasted this exact same thing right above.

the question is, is it normal to be 25 euros  for governmental charges or it's more like 1-2 euros, like a negligible cost ?

30 minutes ago, hthought said:

I recently got a speeding ticket for my car rental with Turo, and my host asked me to privately pay him an extra 25euro administration fee.

I wanted to ask, is this normal for speeding tickets ? Is there really an administration fee ? Is it something that Turo charges maybe ?

The cost of the actual ticket is 25euros too, so basically paying the double as much for the admin fee.

Thanks !

Well did you pay the speeding ticket, or did they?  They say if you did, there is no admin fee. 

https://support.turo.com/hc/de/articles/203990860-Strafzettel-Bu%C3%9Fgelder-und-Mautgeb%C3%BChren

7 hours ago, snowingagain said:

Well did you pay the speeding ticket, or did they?  They say if you did, there is no admin fee. 

https://support.turo.com/hc/de/articles/203990860-Strafzettel-Bu%C3%9Fgelder-und-Mautgeb%C3%BChren

I cannot pay it myself because it was received on behalf of the car owner(traffic camera). So they basically came back to me telling me that there is a 25$ administration fee, which is about paperwork really. 

This is basically what i was asking here. If someone ever got a ticket, did they pay extra on top of the written value on the bill ? Like 20-25$ admin fee extra ?

It does sound to me that admin fees placed from rental companies are on top of the government admin fees. But i am not sure about it. Which is why i opened this thread.

7 hours ago, lisa13 said:

What do you not understand here? 

it's just baffling that you are baffled

It's baffling to me that you think i should understand something for which i was never given an answer.

The question was : 

Is it normal for an administration fee to be 25 euros for governmental charges on a 25 euro ticket ? If the administration fee is more like a small percentage, amounting to, say 1 or 2 euros, that would make a huge difference to what i am actually called to pay.

If anyone has paid a speeding ticket before, were they called to pay an administrative fee of about 25 euros ? Or was it much less ?

I basically want to make sure i am not getting scammed by the private party, that's all.

If you can somehow deduce the answer from what has been discussed in this thread so far, please enlighten me cause i am not seeing it.

6 hours ago, hthought said:

Is it normal for an administration fee to be 25 euros for governmental charges on a 25 euro ticket ? 

Yes. 

Though it is an admin charge from the carshare people for dealing with the ticket they received.  Not "governmental" charges. 

I was charged a 30 or 35€ processing/administrative fee from a car rental company for a speeding ticket once. So it seems as though it’s normal. 

I had a speeding ticket in a hired camper van, didn't pay any fee to the rental company, they can charge what they like as long as they detail it in their terms and conditions which you would have signed as agreeing to when you hired out the vehicle.

9 hours ago, hthought said:

It's baffling to me that you think i should understand something for which i was never given an answer.

The question was : 

Is it normal for an administration fee to be 25 euros for governmental charges on a 25 euro ticket ? If the administration fee is more like a small percentage, amounting to, say 1 or 2 euros, that would make a huge difference to what i am actually called to pay.

If anyone has paid a speeding ticket before, were they called to pay an administrative fee of about 25 euros ? Or was it much less ?

I basically want to make sure i am not getting scammed by the private party, that's all.

If you can somehow deduce the answer from what has been discussed in this thread so far, please enlighten me cause i am not seeing it.

As others have pointed out, this is not a "governmental charge."  It is an administrative processing fee levied by the car rental company.  You are not getting scammed - you agreed to this when you signed the rental contract.

A different topic, but I couldn't find any thread. If I want to drive a relative's car in Australia on my German DL, from where can I get Insurance in such case?

For rental cars, we get the insurance option while buying it, but in this case I am not sure what to do? Do I check with my Insurance provider in Germany or do my relative need to have some option with his Insurance?

4 minutes ago, DanglingPointer said:

A different topic, but I couldn't find any thread. If I want to drive a relative's car in Australia on my German DL, from where can I get Insurance in such case?

For rental cars, we get the insurance option while buying it, but in this case I am not sure what to do? Do I check with my Insurance provider in Germany or do my relative need to have some option with his Insurance?

Your relative can add you to their insurance. Get them to call their insurance.

There is usually a cost to this and they will need to speak with you, requiring your driver's licence details.

1 hour ago, Space Cowboy said:

As others have pointed out, this is not a "governmental charge."  It is an administrative processing fee levied by the car rental company.  You are not getting scammed - you agreed to this when you signed the rental contract.

To be fair, it doesn't mean it's not a scam. And just because it's in the contract doesn't make it legal.

Until recently, companies could get away with two-figure charges for issuing a payment reminder, until the courts ruled that they couldn't treat that as a profit center and limited them to the actual costs incurred - around €5 IIRC. The circumstances here are so similar that it would surprise me if the charges actually stood up to legal review. But that would require someone to challenge the case up the court hierarchy - probably a Verbraucherzentrale, because no individual will risk the potential hundreds or thousands in legal fees over a €25 charge. That's what they're counting on.

10 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

To be fair,