Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Notarial services

6 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

I have to have several documents notarised for submission with an application with the German immigration service. The insturctions say the following:

Any photocopies of original certificates must be officially certified or certified by a notary.

Only the following persons and bodies may certify photocopies:
    - notaries (public) or

- registrars of the body having made the entry in the civil-status register or Bundesverwaltungsamt Page 6 of 9

- German administrations (such as the residents’ registration office, registry office, or mis-sion abroad).

As a rule, foreign public documents (such as civil status documents) are to be legalized or to carry a ‘Hague apostille’

I have seen elsewhere in these forums the recommendation to use my embassy services to get notarise documents. But it's very expensive! The Australian embassy charges AUD$71 for certifying a copy and $81 (50€) for an Appostille certificate. The US embassy charges USD$50 (45€) for a certification. I have 5 documents that need certification, so at current rates I'm looking at 225€ - 250€.

Any suggestion on how I can get these certifications cheaper?

5 hours ago, MrMiles said:

Do you have any links?

The words you need to look for are "Beglaubigung von Kopien". They will do it for documents required by a government agency, which is what you need (and they also do it for docs issued by a government agency, if you need that service in the future).

https://service.berlin.de/dienstleistung/121701/

€5 per sheet.

I don't know how picky they are in Berlin. I only ever needed certified copies of original English language documents (no translations into German, etc) in my Kreis in Schleswig-Holstein. For originals in other languages, you may well require translations - doesn't sound like this is the case for you.

You need to look very carefully at the Apostille requirement.

An Apostille is issued only by what is known as the "competent authority."  Lawful government entities in each country determine what the competent authority is for specific documents, and only that competent authority can provide the Apostille.  So, you will not be able to get Apostille certification for a non-German document from a German notary or German government entity.   You will not be able to get Apostille certification for a US document from the Australian embassy (and v-v).

It gets more complicated.  The US Embassy or Consulate General can issue an Apostille for a FEDERAL document, but is not the competent authority for state or local government documents.

So, for example - I got married in North Carolina, and the marriage certificate was issued by the county in which I got married.  The competent authority in North Carolina is the North Carolina Secretary of State.  Only the NC Secretary of State can issue an Apostiille for a marriage certificate issued by a North Carolina county.  The US Embassy cannot do this.

My daughter was born in Tennessee, so she has a Tennessee Birth Certificate.  The competent authority in TN is the TN Secretary of State, so her Tennessee Birth Certificate was certified by that office.  The US Embassy cannot do this.

If my daughter was born overseas, she would have a Consular Report of Birth Abroard (CRBA, or Form FS-240).  The US Embassy could issue the Apostille for this document.

I am in the process of getting divorced, under German law.  When the process is final, the divorce decree will be certified by the competent German authority.  The US Embassy will not be able to issue certification.

I suggest you contact the various Embassies or CGs from the countries in which the documents were issued, to get advice on the most expeditious way to get the Apostille certifications you need. 

None of this will be cheap.

@MrMiles

It'd probably help if you told us what you were applying for and what docs they want certified copies of. Take a look back at what you posted:

" Any photocopies of original certificates must be officially certified or certified by a notary ...  Only the following persons and bodies may certify photocopies: ... German administrations (such as the residents’ registration office, registry office, or mis-sion abroad) "

Your local government agency can provide certified copies of your marriage/divorce, birth certs, etc. (yes, even when they're non-German) when they are required by the German authorities, which is your case.