London Bridge: Man shot dead by police after several stabbed

47 posts in this topic

On 12/2/2019, 9:49:58, Keleth said:

.Nope you`re born gay,whereas a terrorist is born seemingly with a mind that falls for anything but not necessarily terrorism.

I feel like you probably already know this, but--terrorists, also unlike gay people, are made, not born.

There are several factors that increase a person's likelihood of being indoctrinated by and inducted into a terrorist organization, with none of which they are born.  Economic and social marginalization rank highest.  Penchants for aggression, political or religious stances are minimally responsible at best.  Why the plotters and "masterminds" themselves do what they do, I dunno, psychopathy?  But their recruits are almost entirely made up of people who didn't exactly have a whole lot of other viable options or opportunities for more rewarding or fulfilling lives or making more positive contributions to society.

/pedant

17 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

bare links are frowned upon on TT.  And frankly, i'm not really trying to read the entirety of that long-ass article without knowing what your point is.  A couple of quoted lines or a relevant paragraph would be helpful.

Does it say that a majority or even a sizable chunk of people who carry out terrorist acts are bursting at the seams with cash?  Let me know and I'll read it now a bit more closely.

Otherwise, I'll get to it at some point... maybe.

2 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

Does it say that a majority or even a sizable chunk of people who carry out terrorist acts are bursting at the seams with cash?  Let me know and I'll read it now a bit more closely.

It says that many people assume terrorists to be the poor with nothing to live for, perhaps hoping to end this miserable life though martydom which will give them a better next life.

The evidence doesnt necessarily support that asumption, it seems both from that link and from other stuff I have read that terrorists are often actually pretty average.

The risk indicators tend to be banal to the point I cant see much point discussing them, here is one such list:

Having a Criminal Record

Having Personal & Political Grievances

Having Received a Diagnosis of Schizophrenia or Delusional Disorder

Having an Enabler

Being Unemployed

Having at Least a Bachelor’s Degree

Being Socially Isolated

Being Single

Living Alone

Having Military Experience

Being Male

I doubt many people are surprised that terrorists tend to "have a grievance" or that "having an enabler" increases risk.  About half of these risk factors come down to low social contact  so we might expect that to be the real cause rather than wealth or lack thereof.  

This is one of the things the Danes have been trying to work on - 

https://apolitical.co/solution_article/aarhus-model-allan-aarslev-stopping-terrorism/

I have no idea about the background of this source in particular, but the Aarhus model is what you would google if you don't like it.

The basic idea being that lots of things on that list from zwiebelfisch are about exclusion, either real or perceived, and that therefore social intervention is a solid preventative tool.

@zwiebelfisch thanks for that, but I didn't write anywhere that all terrorists are poor or that poverty causes terrorism, so no clue why either of you are responding as if I did.

I consider almost all of the things you listed to fit under, "social marginalization," which I did write.