London Bridge: Man shot dead by police after several stabbed

47 posts in this topic

I would like to see capital punishment reinstated. There's that moral argument that you may kill an innocent man. Well, in 2019 where forensics and cameras can eliminate all and any doubt and that risk is fully eliminated, the option of ending the lives of the irrepairably damaged and dangerous should be an option. Loving compassion, rehab and second chances visibly do not work for the worst.

I am not sorry the man with the knife on London Bridge was eliminated without further ado.

3 hours ago, optimista said:

I would like to see capital punishment reinstated. There's that moral argument that you may kill an innocent man.

More expensive than keeping them in jail for life.

https://www.thebalance.com/comparing-the-costs-of-death-penalty-vs-life-in-prison-4689874

3 hours ago, optimista said:

Well, in 2019 where forensics and cameras can eliminate all and any doubt and that risk is fully eliminated, the option of ending the lives of the irrepairably damaged and dangerous should be an option. Loving compassion, rehab and second chances visibly do not work for the worst.

Unfortunately not everything has to do with hard evidence. There are things (speaking of US system) that can go wrong:

• Too much emphasis on witnesses. This is the most unreliable way of proof, still gets too much credit
  • Unaccredited "experts"
  • Jury system

Interesting interview with the boss of Narwhal Tusk man

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-50627920/there-was-blood-screaming-and-chaos

On 12/1/2019, 7:55:29, optimista said:

Well, in 2019 where forensics and cameras can eliminate all and any doubt and that risk is fully eliminated,

If only that were true.

On 12/1/2019, 1:59:15, MikeMelga said:

No problem, Brexit will not allow Pakistani to enter UK, as they come from Europe... wooooops!

The logic of some Brexiters astounds me sometimes.

Now all of a sudden those foreigners are a better class of foreigners than the EU ones.

I seriously do believe that some people actually think that Pakistan etc are in the EU.

I`ve even seen a few people actually think that Brexit involves leaving Europe as such.

On 11/30/2019, 7:45:20, fraufruit said:

De-radicalizing a terrorist is like converting a gay person. Not possible

Nope you`re born gay,whereas a terrorist is born seemingly with a mind that falls for anything but not necessarily terrorism.

On 12/1/2019, 6:55:12, snowingagain said:

Priti Patel is also currently lying 

FIFY

On 11/30/2019, 7:31:14, Wulfrun said:

He soon found the 'money tree' to fund his damned brexit debacle.

I think it was the same one May left in the cupboard where she found her 1bn to bribe the DUP.

14 hours ago, Keleth said:

If only that were true.

Ok pedantic mode on.

In some cases it is absolutely conclusive. (If that were not true, what would be the point of DNA tests and cameras?)

Pedantic mode off.

On 12/3/2019, 12:30:43, optimista said:

Ok pedantic mode on.

In some cases it is absolutely conclusive. (If that were not true, what would be the point of DNA tests and cameras?)

Pedantic mode off.

It`s the old problem that no matter the evidence if one innocent person is executed is it worth it ?

Don`t ask me for the answer to the whole problem though as I don`t know.

I am not sorry the man with the knife on London Bridge was eliminated without further ado.

I can`t believe there is anyone that thinks that it was the wrong decision to kill him.

I would like to see capital punishment reinstated.

The police are already doing that with Islamic terrorists without the costs of a lengthy court case.

7 hours ago, French bean said:

The police are already doing that with Islamic terrorists without the costs of a lengthy court case.

This is extra-judicial killing. It is certainly not what I would routinely like to see. I would like to see capital punishment for those cases where there is absolutely no doubt on the basis of diverse factors. These cases do exist and the option to execute the irredeemably evil caught in flagrante should be there.

Wickipaedia says:

An extrajudicial killing (also known as extrajudicial execution) is the killing of a person by governmental authorities or individuals without the sanction of any judicial proceeding or legal process.

So what do you think it is (FFS)?

1 hour ago, optimista said:

Wickipaedia says:

An extrajudicial killing (also known as extrajudicial execution) is the killing of a person by governmental authorities or individuals without the sanction of any judicial proceeding or legal process.

So what do you think it is (FFS)?

But tt will be subjected to a judicial proceeding.  When someone is armed and dangerous and appearing to be about to detonate a suicide vest, someone who is refusing to stop moving despite repeated demands, and with lots of people close by is shot, it is not the same as Pinochet having people who did not approve of him thrown out of helicopters.

A better example of UK extra judicial killings is when the UK has used drones to blow up ISIS members from Cardiff.   

4 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

But it will be subjected to a judicial proceeding. 

:lol::lol::lol:

But you will find that the police will follow specific Rules of Engagement which will layout exactly when they can shoot someone and the process they have to go through. They know full well that if they fail to follow those rules then they can be charged with murder.

1 hour ago, optimista said:

:lol::lol::lol:

Laugh away, but what do you think inquest is?  In comparison the targeted UK drone strikes that killed UK citizens Reyaad Khan and Ruhul Amin never involved any inquests or coroners reports in the UK.  That is extra judicial killing.

Many people have no sympathy for them but there has never been any public legal proceeding about why they were killed.

2 hours ago, optimista said:

This is extra-judicial killing

No it wasn`t.

Now please tell me what should have happened ?

The police had no time to react..the guy was stabbing left, right and centre...brave  civilians did stuff and he was wearing a suspicious vest.

I don´t care about that perp. Don´t do that shit, man.

Always care about the victims.

The perp wasted his own life. Tough. Don´t waste other people´s. 

My issue is mostly with corruption and lies to convict innocent people.

I am not sorry he was eliminated. Think I said that already. We are currently being educated on the nuances of what is and what is not an extra-judicial killing. ;)

IANAL