London Bridge: Man shot dead by police after several stabbed

47 posts in this topic

London Bridge: Man shot dead by police after several stabbed

A number of people have been stabbed and a man has been shot dead by police in an attack at London Bridge.

The Met Police has declared the attack a terrorist incident.

The suspect, who died at the scene, was believed to have been wearing a hoax explosive device, police said.

A BBC reporter at the scene said he had seen a fight on the bridge, with several men restraining one man. Police then arrived quickly and a number of shots were fired at him, he said.

Details are still emerging and Neil Basu, the head of UK counter-terrorism policing, said the force was keeping an open mind over the motive.

He said officers were called to a stabbing at a premises near the bridge just before 14:00.

Well, they wouldn't have shot him unless they had good reason to. The footage on the BBC report is interesting, shows the Police getting people off the man before they shot him. No questions asked. Hope that goes out to all the wannabe Tossers out there, the UK Police are not Snowflakes.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-50604781

They shot him because he had on a fake bomb vest. The man was a UK citizen of Pakistani descent which, I guess, means that people who fit that demographic will get lots of additional hands-on screening when entering leaving the country.

Two of his victims are dead. Sad day.

More here

The tories' decimation of the British security services has enabled several terrorist attacks...

It's been confirmed that the London Bridge terrorist was a convicted terrorist plotter involved in the 2012 London Stock Exchange plot who was released from custody last year, with an electronic tag.

The state knew who he was, where he was, and that he had a history of terrorism offences. It's a catastrophic failing that this happened, and there should obviously be apologies, especially in light of the fact that this has been allowed to happen before, more than once.

The Manchester Arena bomber was allowed back through the UK border when the UK had been told by the Americans that he'd been hanging out with terrorists in the Libyan terrorism breeding grounds, and that he was actively planning a terrorist attack.

Multiple people from the Manchester Muslim community also reported him to the authorities for his extremist views and their fears he was going to commit an atrocity, but he was left to come back here unhindered, and left unwatched as he planned and executed that horrific bombing in 2017.

There should have been a widespread public outrage and a public inquiry into these astonishing security lapses, but somehow the whole issue was pretty much forgotten about, disappearing out of the news cycle within days, never to be considered or scrutinised again, other than disaster memorialisation purposes.

The 2017 London Bridge attacker was such a well known Jihadist that he'd been featured on a TV show called "The Jihadist Next Door"! Yet somehow nobody was watching him as he planned and executed his attack.

Now it's a know terrorist wearing an electronic tag has killed people on the streets of London!

They knew who every single one of them was, but they just weren't watching.

So when are people going to wake up and realise that despite all of their rhetoric about combating terrorism, and supporting our emergency services, the Tories are the ones who keep allowing terrorists to operate in our midst, and the Tories are the ones who used radical hard-right austerity rhetoric to justify wantonly slashing our emergency services to shreds, so they don't have the manpower or resources to keep us safe?

And when are people going to start demanding that Johnson apologises, rather than cynically using this latest deadly terrorist attack to pivot into election campaigning more to list off a load of Tory campaign policies?

3 hours ago, john g. said:

The guy in London had „ previous „ for terrorist offences and was out on licence before finishing his gaol time. Incredible..

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-50610215

but I suspect the authorities would have followed current guidelines for releasing a prisoner on licence. You cannot legislate for every individual in prison. All you can do is follow and frequently review the regulations to see if they are still fit for purpose. I haven't checked the news yet but I hope the Police are carrying out 'inquiries' in his community.

3 hours ago, French bean said:

but I suspect the authorities would have followed current guidelines for releasing a prisoner on licence. You cannot legislate for every individual in prison. All you can do is follow and frequently review the regulations to see if they are still fit for purpose. I haven't checked the news yet but I hope the Police are carrying out 'inquiries' in his community.

In Germany you have Sicherungsverwahrung for that: staying in prison after conviction ends if the person is deemed to be dangerous, for indefinite amount of time. This is the best balance between US's two life sentences for jaywalking and UK's two years for two murders.*

*take listed sentences as metaphors.

Boris Johnson personally warned about risks of freeing terrorists but said there was ‘no money’ to deradicalise them, ex-top prosecutor says

A former top prosecutor says he personally warned Boris Johnson about the risk posed by freeing terrorists who had not been deradicalised, but was told there was “no money”.

The hugely damaging claim came as the solicitor for the London Bridge attacker revealed he had asked for help to turn away from terrorism while in prison, but was not given any.

As anger grew over the early release of Usman Khan, Jeremy Corbyn branded the attack he was able to carry out “a complete disaster”, saying: “There has got to be a very full investigation.”

Visiting London Bridge, the prime minister attempted to deflect blame, saying: “I’ve argued that when people are sentenced to a certain number of years in prison they should serve every year of that sentence.”
But the focus switched to efforts made to deradicalise prisoners when Nazir Afzal, the former chief prosecutor for North West England, intervened by revealing his private conversation with Mr Johnson.

He said he had raised the problem of terrorists being released “whilst ostensibly rehabilitated but still radicalised” in many government meetings, before raising it with Mr Johnson in June 2016.

“He asked me what keeps me awake at night and I told him it was this issue,” Mr Afzal said.

“When he wanted to know what to do about it, I told him it was more resources for one-to-one deradicalisation.

“Back then, he hadn’t found the ‘money tree’ so he frustratingly said there was no money.”

He soon found the 'money tree' to fund his damned brexit debacle...

De-radicalizing a terrorist is like converting a gay person. Not possible.

I am in no way comparing gays to terrorists, btw, and I don't think they need conversion.

Er, it is Sadiq Khan in charge of London and he is Muslim and has done nothing to stop knife crime. Widely unpopular. Go check out the comments on this Twitter feed:

Knife crime in London is linked mostly to poverty and austerity.   Police have been cut back.  But what has been happening to the UK legal system regarding the legal process is crazy.  Worth a look if you can tear yourself away from less factual shit you are fond of.  And nothing to do with  Khan. 

46 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

Er, it is Sadiq Khan in charge of London and he is in charge.

fiexed that for you. :)

26 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Knife crime in London is linked mostly to poverty and austerity.   

Nah.. knives are cheap.. every household has them and they dont attract attention by going bang..!

8 hours ago, yourkeau said:

In Germany you have Sicherungsverwahrung for that: staying in prison after conviction ends if the person is deemed to be dangerous, for indefinite amount of time. This is the best balance between US's two life sentences for jaywalking and UK's two years for two murders.*

*take listed sentences as metaphors.

This dreadful man refused counseling in prison. 

On September 29, 1978, [Lawrence] Singleton picked up 15-year-old Mary Vincent of Las Vegas while she was hitchhiking in Berkeley, California, raped her, and then severed both her forearms with a hatchet and threw her off of Interstate 5 near Del Puerto Canyon, California, leaving her naked and near death. She managed to pull herself back up the cliff and alert a passing couple, who took her to a hospital. By the time of Singleton's arrest, Vincent wore prosthetic arms.[4]

Six months after the assault, Vincent faced Singleton at his trial, where her testimony helped to convict him.[5] Singleton was sentenced to 14 years in prison, the maximum allowed by law in California at that time.[5] The presiding judge remarked: "If I had the power, I would send him to prison for the rest of his natural life."[6]

While Vincent won a $2.56 million civil judgment against Singleton, she was unable to collect it when Singleton revealed that he was unemployed, in poor health, and had only $200 in savings.[7]

Along with the particularly gruesome and callous aspects of the crime, the case became even more notorious after Singleton was paroled after serving only eight years in prison. He was able to reduce his time through good behavior and working as a teaching assistant in a prison classroom.[6] Singleton was paroled to Contra Costa County, California, but no town would accept his presence, so he had to live in a trailer on the grounds of San Quentin until his parole ended a year later.[2]

---

Several years later, Singleton was living in Florida.  He hired a prostitute to visit him, killing her, and finally - finally! - dying in prison. 

A tweet from London's mayor:

On behalf of all Londoners, I want to thank @BTP and especially the officer who helped detain the suspect of yesterday's horrific attack. Your extraordinary bravery and dedication help keep our city safe every day, even in the most difficult and dangerous of circumstances. https://t.co/vitar1s3mO

— Sadiq Khan (@SadiqKhan) November 30, 2019

...and our sick and twisted right wingers somehow make this out to be a Muslim supporting domestic terrorism??

Morons.

17 hours ago, AlexTr said:

They shot him because he had on a fake bomb vest. The man was a UK citizen of Pakistani descent which, I guess, means that people who fit that demographic will get lots of additional hands-on screening when entering leaving the country.

No problem, Brexit will not allow Pakistani to enter UK, as they come from Europe... wooooops!

Khan's solicitor said he had requested help while in prison.   But nothing is or was available.  He was initially sentenced with the intention that he would not be released unless deemed to no longer to be a risk.  In 2012 the rules changed and he got 16 years with no restrictions, which means automatic release after 8.  Probation service not set up for deradicalising people and say they had no involvement after his release.  No money trees as Boris said but now as election looming of course he is going to toughen things up, the Conservatives are the party of law and order, etc, etc lock em all up and throw away the key, life means life blah blah blah.  But the rule on indeterminate sentences changed while Conservatives in power and doing their austerity stuff which has hit the legal system hard.  Idea for Christmas present.  Secret Barrister: Stories of the Law and How It's Broken.  

Priti Patel is also currently lying about this on twitter

khan london bridge.PNG

Probably also worth mentioning that ex cons including a murderer were involved in chasing and disabling Khan. And the guy with the Narwahl tusk is a Polish chef.  So remember that Boris when doing your law and order, EU migrant thing.