Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Involuntary commitment to a mental hospital

12 posts in this topic

I have been involuntarily commited for 6 months. For a suicide attempt. I am not suicidal anymore. How do I get out? I have tried emailing some lawyers, they havent replied back. I am an intetnational student with no german language skills. This is a big problem for me.

If you actually attempted suicide then I think six months is a minimum before you can really say that you are no longer suicidal.  Take care of yourself and give yourself time to heal.  Take advantage of the services that you are offered.  

2 hours ago, Pantherstar said:

I have been involuntarily commited for 6 months.

This is not clear: Has the six months just started or ended?

2 hours ago, Pantherstar said:

I am not suicidal anymore.

Likewise:  Is this your determination or the doctor's?

OK. Read this carefully! Demand a Patientenfürsprecher !!

Ein Patientenfürsprecher ist ein unabhängiger und meist ehrenamtlich tätiger Ansprechpartner für die Patienten einer Klinik. Er hört auf mögliche Wünsche, nimmt Kritik oder Lob entgegen und versucht, bei Beschwerden eine Lösung zu finden. Der Patientenfürsprecher ist in das betriebliche Beschwerdemanagement der Klinik eingebunden, aber kein Mitarbeiter des Krankenhauses. In den meisten Bundesländern ist seine Berufung im Krankenhausgesetz geregelt. In Nordrhein-Westfalen, Niedersachsen, Hessen, dem Saarland und Berlin ist jedes Krankenhaus zu einem unabhängigen Patientenfürsprecher verpflichtet.

A patient advocate is an independent and mostly honorary contact person for the patients of a clinic. He listens to possible wishes, accepts criticism or praise and tries to find a solution to complaints. The patient advocate is involved in the hospital's operational complaints management, but not an employee of the hospital. In most federal states his appeal is regulated in the hospital law. In North Rhine-Westphalia, Lower Saxony, Hesse, Saarland and Berlin, every hospital is obliged to have an independent patient advocate.

Ombudsmann/frau is another name for the hospital's patient representative.

10 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Not sure why you are using only the male gender, Metall.

Because I don't give a damn about the whole PC thing when I'm dead tired and nevertheless digging for information to try and help somebody.

I pulled the above text verbatim off an official page. Sue me. Or better, help the OP.

17 minutes ago, Metall said:

Because I don't give a damn about the whole PC thing when I'm dead tired and nevertheless digging for information to try and help somebody.

I pulled the above text verbatim off an official page. Sue me. Or better, help the OP.

I gotcha. Sorry. I was wrong.

Wish I could help but I just can't.

Please also ask for help from your university’s international office / welcomecentre and the Studentenwerk.

They are better placed to give you the individual support you need.