Please help me ( I am really scared) : shoplifting in Rewe Freiburg (I am so very sorry)

27 posts in this topic

Hello everyone 

I know that when you going to read this, you are start to think:" what is the problem of international students when came to the other country and do shoplifting" I will not proud of what I did, and a judgment of my situation is really normal , as I was caught on shoplifting, in your spot I probably do the same... It is true when I say that I never did this, and that is why I was caught , because I was really neevouse, but I needed food, I am in the end of month with almost no money, so I still some things from Rewe in Freiburg, in a total no more than 30€ 

They caught me , and present me to the Police, the Police Gave me a paper só I could sign and admit or not the incidente act, which I did ( I admited and signed). I can not entry in Rewe for One year and also I need to pay to them a 100€.

Now, I AM waiting for the decision of percursor/judge , about this situation. The Police man was really Nice and say that it was not apt to them, but the most probably thing that will happened to me, it is: they are going to close the case with me pay a fine, and do not go court. 

My doubts are (and Thank you in advance for reading this and for the help, because I am really scare right now)

1) how many days (usually)do I need to wait to received the letter from percursor about the decision of the court about my case?

2) do you think that this case will end with the payment of the fine? Or am I going to court? Or to jail?

3) it is better to get a lawyer now ? Or better to wait for the letter?

About the criminal registion I can not to anything , it is my first time to deal with this, I never commited a crime before. But now I did shoplifting, I should had thinking about this before doing it... 

I am sorry for bother you with this and Thank you!

1 - don`t know

2 - pay the fine, and it should be over with

3 - you comitted a crime, were caught, and admitted it. What can a lawyer change?

4 - don`t be so bloody stupid in future! Talk to friends, colleagues, or even the student union - somehow you will find a way to (legally) get enough food to last until the end of the month.

I don't understand who ordered you to pay rewe 100 euros already?

I'd encourage you to look for local food banks or similar organizations so you don't need to resort to such drastic action.  for example this organization might be of assistance:  https://freiburger-tafel.de

1 minute ago, lisa13 said:

I don't understand who ordered you to pay rewe 100 euros already?

It is common for stores to get a "bearbeitungsgebühr" - at a well-known discounter, it would be €50, and has to be payed immediately.

3 minutes ago, robinson100 said:

It is common for stores to get a "bearbeitungsgebühr" - at a well-known discounter, it would be €50, and has to be payed immediately.

aha!  thanks for the explanation.  

Thank you to both of you! For the Replay. And yes, I was really stupid , worse than stupid. I am so scary this moment, I will not do again anything like this, I should have not done from the beginning and ask people for help 

Thank you guys! 

44 minutes ago, Cunha said:

1) how many days (usually)do I need to wait to received the letter from percursor about the decision of the court about my case?

Not days – weeks or months. Shoplifting cases are not very high on the list of priorities.

2) do you think that this case will end with the payment of the fine? Or am I going to court? Or to jail?

Yes, no, no.

3) it is better to get a lawyer now ? Or better to wait for the letter?

What's a lawyer supposed to do?

53 minutes ago, Cunha said:

I am in the end of month with almost no money, so I still some things from Rewe

It would be a good idea to work out what things you must pay every month, so that you know how much money you have to spend. Do this straight away, and hopefully you can avoid running out of money.

REWE is expensive generally. It is OK for special offers or for things you can't get elsewhere, but for your normal shopping, try somewhere cheaper like Lidl, Pennymarkt, Aldi, Netto. The cheaper brands are often as tasty as the more expensive ones.

Make sure you learn to distinguish the difference between 'want' and 'need' - they are not the same thing.

I have two kids who are away from home studying - it is not easy to manage your money, keep on top of your studies and still enjoy your exciting life in a foreign country. Try not to worry about the shoplifting - it is going to take a long time before it is sorted, and worrying will not help. When the letter comes, put a picture on here with your name and address removed and someone will help you work it out.

Good luck with everything.

Thank you for all of you! It is incredible, when someone made mistaked like this, but for my lucky I still received this all help and attention for your part. Thank you so much! 

I will not have more Shame.to ask for helo in terms of money, I need to do some prioprities and see better the money that I am spending 

Thank you, really! Guess I just need to wait for the letter, and see how it is going to end 

Just for the record oats (Kölln Haferflocken - blue and white packet) cost about 1 Euro for 500g and a packet will last you a few days. They are also extremely healthy. There is not really an excuse to starve in Germany.

OK, that's a good example, the no-name oats are half the price of Kölln. We use Penny, Lidl and Rewe, and they are all fine. I imagine Aldi will be too.

We put 0.5 cup oats, 0.5 cup water, 0.5 cup milk in a bowl, microwave for about 1.5 minutes on high, stir, maybe cook again, then chop/blend with half a banana, and you have a super healthy breakfast for a good price.

This is in fact a really good idea for a breakefast, to be chiep and have good, alimentation! Thank you so much :)

One more thing! Sorry sorry :(

Do you know how much time do I have to pay the fine, after received the letter from the court? (More or less) 

Thank you in advance!

I do the same with the banana and if you add a teaspoon of cocoa powder it is even more delicious! I do it because I like it, not because it is cheap. :)

Another really cheap, versatile and healthy food is dried white beans, the small ones and the big ones you get from Turkish and Greek shops. Always good to keep in your cupboard and they taste of whatever you put them with. Ring the changes with spices.

Google- "Eating on a very low budget"! So many cheap, nutritious meals to be made- using beans,  veggies etc. Lots of protein, without needing much meat. Watch for special offers, use eggs- great source of protein and vitamins.

On 27/11/2019, 16:50:49, Cunha said:

Do you know how much time do I have to pay the fine, after received the letter from the court? (More or less) 

Thank you in advance!

You will get a letter stating the offer to pay a Strafbefehl with a date, usually two weeks, during which you can protest it. About four to six weeks later you will get the fine itself. You can then apply for paying the fine in installments, under full disclosure of income and living costs; otherwise the fine has to paid immediately. Should you choose not to pay you'll have to do a couple weeks in jail as replacement.

Thank you so much everyone! It has been a difficult week, I cry every day and I already start thinking about kill myself. My parents don:'t deserve this: a sun that is a thief, they are the best parents that I could ask for ir, and it was not how they raised me... But I am taking this by myself, I will pay all for myself, and I will work things by myself, I need to grow up 

But until the letter arrives it will be a really difficult weeks to handle 

So, sorry again for everything , and also for cros posting. And really, tahnk you so much for everything! All of you have been kind with me :) 

One more thing: do you think that until the end of April 2020 everything will be end? Thank you!

Stop! Cunha, you sound like a good person. This is not the end of the world. Just relax, pay the fine when it comes, and then put all this behind you and get on with your life. We all live and learn. Nobody is perfect.

Breathe. All will be well. This was only a small mistake.  You have learned your lesson, and life will go on. I promise. :)

Cunha, I don't think anyone can predict how quickly this will be resolved, as someone's daughter posted above, it will be a low priority case. 

kato has given you a good idea of how it will go. Start saving a little, living cheap, studying hard, and work on not allowing yourself to be consumed with worry. Mind over matter. Find something positive to do every day and keep having conversations with people around you. Go to the student union/foreign student support and find someone to tell.