Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

buying agricultural land for organic farming

6 posts in this topic

I have been looking for a while to buy a piece of agricultural land, something like 5 acres or so, for a small scale organic farming that I want to do as a side business. Could you guys please suggest some good resources that I can look into? Also, is PR a necessity for purchasing farming lands?

I'm mainly interested in areas where there are good water resources available for irrigation purposes and maybe for some domestic cattles as well. In addition, the land cost should not exceed 100K EUR because that's the maximum I can afford at the moment. So, please give suggestions which support these necessities and conditions.

Danke!

Open your favourite search engine: Ackerland/Agrarland kaufen

The land itself shouldn't be a problem if you have €100k, although finding such a small piece might be problematic. If you're in Saarland, your little hobby farm will also probably be in another Bundesland.

I wouldn't expect to make any money. Even covering your costs could be a stretch. Who's going to pay the vet bills? Who's going to muck out the barn? You going to milk the cows? Legal and tax expenses? Storage and transportation? 

It would be easier to find a local farmer and pay for a couple cows and the farmer looking after them "for" you, you getting the milk, etc.

3 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Go and talk to your local council and see what  they have up for rent or for sale.

Some house properties come with considerable land attatched to them. I live in southeast end of NRW where in rural areas such houses are popping up for sale as the old owners pass away and their kids have no interest in living so far from the bigger cities.

1 hour ago, alderhill said:

Open your favourite search engine: Ackerland/Agrarland kaufen

The land itself shouldn't be a problem if you have €100k, although finding such a small piece might be problematic. If you're in Saarland, your little hobby farm will also probably be in another Bundesland.

I wouldn't expect to make any money. Even covering your costs could be a stretch. Who's going to pay the vet bills? Who's going to muck out the barn? You going to milk the cows? Legal and tax expenses? Storage and transportation? 

It would be easier to find a local farmer and pay for a couple cows and the farmer looking after them "for" you, you getting the milk, etc.

Yes, I agree that raising livestock could be problematic.

If they were close to a population centre, something like pick your own strawberries could be an idea - there is one quite close to me that is always busy in the strawberry season. You can really charge a premium for your berries also!