How does one measure bicycle height?

5 posts in this topic

' Evening all,

I've been ordered to sell my son's nifty bike and checked the ads on e-Bay etc. to see how best to do it. I see that the height is always given - in inches!

I'd just like to  find out what exactly does that measurement specify? From where to where do I have to measure to get the height of the bike? It doesn't seem to be from the ground to the saddle, as far as I can tell. Any bike enthusiasts out there with an inkling? That would be a great help.

Advance thanks  for the info.

Cheers from cold, damp Berlin

I had the same dilemma selling my daughter's bike. I just googled on google.co.uk something like 'how to measure bicycle wheel measurement' and 'bicycle frame measurement'. As I have an inches tape measure, no problem.  Just google 'cm to inches' and you will be able to convert to most appropriate round number of inches. 

An ebay kleinanzeigen ad worked well...sold within days.  Best to research second hand prices well and offer a VB (negotiable) price. 

Good luck.

IIRC it is from the centre of the main sprocket, up the vertical tube to the end where the seat slides in. An inch is 2.54cm's

Did a bike repair course many years ago in Canada and am still a frequent "Schrauber", building bikes for myself and friends. The standard measurement is indeed from the centre of the bottom bracket axle (where the pedal arms attach to the bike) to the top of the seat tube. Bikes produced in Asia are generally measured in inches, but those produced and/or sold in continental Europe are measured in centimetres. If in doubt, just state both with the indicator "mitte tretlager bis Oberkante".

Cheers back from cold damp Berlin :-)

Thank you all so much for all the tips and advice.

I am having the thing overhauled and will put it up for sale as soon as that's done - which means I have time to look up the bike vocabulary and then hopefully measure the right bit when it comes to selling it.

Thanks again everyone, that was a great help.