non-building permit in purchased apartment

2 posts in this topic

Purchased an apartment several years ago. Everything went well and we upgraded kitchen, etc.

Sold the same apartment last year. BUT, everything fell apart 2 working days before the money was meant to transferred to my bank.

The new owner accused me of fraud and labeled me as a cheat.

Turns out that a balcony built approx. 20 years earlier did not have the building permit approved, although some preliminary plans were submitted to the city office.

The new owner claims to have "discovered" this information and only told me 2 working days before the hand over of the keys and money exchange (Note: we had already signed at the Notary 3 months earlier). However, this information was not in my original contract when I bought the apartment.

The new owner semi-forced me into giving a big discount; otherwise they would not pay anything and would take us to court (they are lawyers and used this argument that it was in our best interest to give the discount). Also, apparently, a new rule states that the price can be changed outside the Notary.

I very very reluctantly signed the reduced price, since this "threat" was too much to cope with at that time and I was already in debt for other financial commitments.

So, now in court, because I was cheated (they did not pay on time!), threatened (using their lawyer status as power), and other problems have also arising from this new owner.

Has anyone else had similar problems ??

On 25/11/2019, 12:26:23, Alienvirus said:

Also, apparently, a new rule states that the price can be changed outside the Notary.

Uh, no. There's §311b 1. (2) BGB, and that's been around for decades.