Separation and everyday decisions

8 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have a question on handling “everyday” decisions regarding the kids. I did previously meet a lawyer and she mentioned as long as I don’t take our child somewhere her father can’t see her at least every 2 weeks, everyday decisions are the mother’s right. But I do have to inform him about important things. Does this apply if, for example, her father and I disagree on which gymnasium she should go to? Who has the final word? There are no rational reasons for the disagreement, just ego and making his life easier vs mine. Both schools are in the same city.

The kid has the final word on that I would think. She has to turn up every day, neither of you does.

6 minutes ago, Dusseldork said:

She is 9. At every open door day she says that’s her favorite school.

Are Unicorns still her favourite animal?

I think at some point of her dealing with her parents’ quite painful separation, she started leaning more towards narwhals. Does that help?

Google helped me find this article, which addresses your specific issue.

In short, selection of a school is not an everyday decision. If you and the father can't reach an agreement, you can involve the Jugendamt, which will facilitate. As @kiplette noted, the child's preference will be taken into account at that point at the latest.

If you still fail to reach an agreement, your local Familiengericht will grant one of the parents the right to choose the school - hopefully you in that case.

6 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

Google helped me find this article, which addresses your specific issue.

In short, selection of a school is not an everyday decision. If you and the father can't reach an agreement, you can involve the Jugendamt, which will facilitate. As @kiplette noted, the child's preference will be taken into account at that point at the latest.

If you still fail to reach an agreement, your local Familiengericht will grant one of the parents the right to choose the school - hopefully you in that case.

Thanks a bunch, that is incredibly helpful. Hopefully we will reach an amicable solution.

Choosing a school is not considered an everyday decision.  And a child is also not considered able to make their own decisions until age 14, I believe... Good luck and hope things work out for all involved.