The "why it is difficult to leave" thread

205 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, john g. said:

The question remains Crete v Hamburg ?

I can't tell, but I like Cyprus. It even has better climate than Greece and everybody speaks English.

8 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

You could consider Lagos, Nigeria. It has tropical weather all year round. Coming two weeks: 32 degrees on average. I stayed there a few times. Since you like adventure, I can recommend it.

Nigeria just charged 57 men for being.... gay. 

11 hours ago, john g. said:

One of the issues is definitely the weather.. 22 Celcius tomorrow and a miserable 19 forecast for Sunday and even some rain.

I know the olive farmers will be happy and, yeah, fair enough.

But 19?

You could return to Hamburg - the windows are currently frosted & the grass is white.

16 C here right now and I feel cold! Have to find a pair of socks before I go out again. Annoying😩

10 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Can you keep your business registered in Hamburg no matter where you live? 

Yes! Because I have a post address in Hamburg where I am still registered.

56 minutes ago, john g. said:

Yes! Because I have a post address in Hamburg where I am still registered.

Hi John G and anyone else reading this thread,

How can you be registered in HH without living there? Here in Berlin they are querying exactly this because my son lives abroad but is still registered at his/our flat in Berlin. Are there differing regulations for different parts of the country? Can anyone clarify this situation, particularly with regard to Berlin? That would be a great help.

Cheers and advance thanks for information.

Don‘t know about Berlin, mgr...

In Hamburg: I have a German bank account, pay German tax and am registered with the Chamber of Commerce and at the Einwohnermeldeamt in Hamburg. And have a contract with a company which forwards my mail.

I would love it if the Finanzamt said: „ oh, mistake. You shouldn‘t have paid us tax over the last nearly 6 years- do you want it back?“

🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

I am totally legal here with regard to my status in Hamburg.

Nigeria: utterly corrupt, Boko Haram... glad you are not tempted John.

Crete: rather seismic and they are waiting for that big one...

Hamburg: I can feel Rheumatism coming on...

Have you considered Mallorca (they all speak German) or Portugal ?

Good evening, optimista!

🙏🏻

Earthquakes can happen here - no doubt.Even the Greek builders respect the rules here re earthquakes. Are the authorities prepared for s Big One?

Can‘t imagine that!

😂

Hamburg- finding it annoying enough dealing with the North Wind here this evening when out with the dogs. The problem is actually the insulation in the houses. It feels colder than it actually is.

Mallorca or Portugal? Too complicated to consider- age, dogs, licence to work in my area- language is not the problem. I speak both Spanish and Portuguese- Jugendsünden!

🙏🏻

I still think that a small town inland from hamburg but not where it is too damp is a good idea. Cottbus and Brandenburg are good options. Neurreupin is not a nice place. Anything to the east is too damp. Although I have heard good things about Schwerin but was never there myself.

Eberswalde is popular with the medical professions and is a bit too pricy for what it actually is.

Cottbus, kommentarlos?

😂

Didn‘t you make some kind of comment to me the other day about how I would fit in there?

😂

( For some inexplicable and unanswered reason!)

Do you think this ( admittedly ageing ) ex- hippy would have truck with some probably conservative city in the Neuen Bundesländern? Erm, ultra right- wing?

Not me, babe. 

All of Germany is too damp. As is Crete from now till maybe March. Poor insulation in the houses and you feel it from right now.

By the way, I am not your enemy. Happy to shake hands and please stop this nonsense that I am misogynist and some kind of clubhouse Tory in a blue blazer, ok?

🙏🏻

On 30. November 2019 um 05:28:10, cacilia_1 said:

Nigeria just charged 57 men for being... gay. 

Ah, it was not a serious advice. I always stayed in a compound where guards carried kalasnikovs. I couldn't leave the place on my own. I had a personal driver. I had to leave office before it turned dark since there was a risk of car hijackers. I was always glad to leave after 1 or 2 weeks max.

John G. knows that I prefer Cyprus over Greece :).

Luke! You only prefer Cyprus over Greece because the Dutch campers don‘t have to pay for water and the toilets, right?

😂

( have Dutch friends here who joke about their carefulness with money!)

😂

Anyway, why are Dutch people about 3 metres high? They don‘t fit on the buses here!

The consumption of high amounts of dairy products containing steroids must be the reason and I'm only 1.90m (6'3), haha.

BTW- I'm not a camper. I prefer hotels.

So do I prefer hotels, Luke! It is the bones, innit?😂

You are quite short!

Last hotel we stayed in here, mind you, was terrible.

Nicole woke me up — cockroaches everywhere coming out of the wardrobe at 2 in the morning.

I wasn‘t ready for breakfast but helped out a bit anyway.

Rats are worse cos they‘re bigger bastards!

10 hours ago, Kommentarlos said:

I still think that a small town inland from hamburg but not where it is too damp is a good idea. Cottbus and Brandenburg are good options. Neurreupin is not a nice place

If you need info about where it´s best for senior citizens to settle down: https://deutschland-studie-senioren-familie.zdf.de/senioren

Jena seems to be the place.

9 hours ago, john g. said:

You only prefer Cyprus over Greece because the Dutch campers don‘t have to pay for water and the toilets, right?

Not only that. They speak English around here as they used to be a colony (there are still 3 British bases which are UK territory).

49 minutes ago, Kommentarlos said:

Yes Jena is also good for senior citizens and a nice town. Not sure of the public transport connections to Hamburg though off hand.

A lot better than from Crete, l guess.😎