The "why it is difficult to leave" thread

205 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Kommentarlos said:

It is not a Benny Hill sketch from the 1970's. 

Speaking of which...

My God did we lads have a snigger next day when "Hill's angels" were on!

2 hours ago, john g. said:

I have made comments quite often about unsavoury men here with their beer guts leering at women tourists, as an example. That doesn´t mean I hate men as a whole.

So far as a generalisation not with regard to the objectification of a specific male individual.

Still waiting. 

Edit: preferably in a professional context.

# Toytown balance

1 hour ago, lisa13 said:

the one who claims to have no comment but likes to chide others for slights against women had no problem referring to the mother of one member's child as "the town bicycle"

The mother of the poster in question's child is someone I can have no perspectives on.

The attitude that the father of the child exibits towards the mother of the child is what is being addressed here. HIS world view on women - not who the woman actually is -  is reflected in the choice of terminology.

Bitch*, do you get it?

* @AlexTr

1 hour ago, john g. said:

I didn´t objectify a woman. You are making a mountain out of a molehill

This.

Dictatorial behaviour. Condescending dismissal of someone else's point of view.

# Mansplaining

An international internet forum in the 21st century. Yes, it is. But what is the point? Who wants to control whose mind? Not me.

Probably better of staying where you are then.  Modern manners don't seem to be your thing.The current worldview from your island seems to suit you (petcare aside). Or maybe back to somwhere in DE where you would feel amongst kindred spirits?. Cottbus perhaps?

5 hours ago, Kommentarlos said:

Cottbus? What are you insinuating?

Modern manners`I am a polite person, albeit with a somewhat zany sense of humour.

Whose modern manners, by the way? Dictated to by whom?

What are you waiting for? That I go through years of posts to find a criticism of mine of a particular man in a professional context? They will certainly be there but I will not be at your beck and call. Jeez...

7 hours ago, Kommentarlos said:

I don't think as an argument in modern society it works that way.

Perhaps although you feel disappointed by these traditional attitudes towards animals that you post so frequently about, such traditional attitudes towards women are something you find appealing? Moving us back on topic. 

Nicole will judge what she can laugh at or not. Not you.

9 hours ago, Kommentarlos said:

I don't think as an argument in modern society it works that way.

Perhaps although you feel disappointed by these traditional attitudes towards animals that you post so frequently about, such traditional attitudes towards women are something you find appealing? Moving us back on topic. 

Nicole will judge what she can laugh at or not. Not you. Imposing your views on a woman you don´t even know and who is a non-puritanical feminist in her own right amounts to bullying and authoritarianism.  ( And a spice of ageism!! ). I wouldn´t dream of telling Nicole what to do. So why should you?

And try to see the WHOLE picture! This impressed me over 30 years ago!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SsccRkLLzU

Back on topic..somebody said yesterday Agios  looks nice! So, in dedication:

this morning after I had paid the stupid phone bill and after some rain:

( because I left home early, I was compelled to wear trousers ( instead of shorts )  and socks and shoes ( instead of no socks and wearing  sandals ) for the first time since about May. Part of the difficult-to-leave argument...it warmed up after I had had a coffee  and the sun came  out and I regretted the trousers)

PHOTO-2019-11-25-11-11-34.jpg

7 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Was it JohnGs silvers spoon? 

Maxwell´s Silver Hammer!

:rolleyes:

7 hours ago, optimista said:

"...girlfriend kneeling in front of him with something in her mouth"

I saw the same on an empty (except for me) beach in Mallorca. The lady's head was a-nodding. My eyesight being poor or maybe owing to the gentleman's meagre proportions I did not see anything turgid, let alone any silver spoons. I was disappointed that the chap had his back to the sea. If he'd turned round he would have had a beautiful view of the bay. They were in their late 50s or so. I felt ashamed to be a tourist and sorry for the locals. There is a time and a place...

" Owing to the gentleman´s meagre proportions."  Wonderful, optimista!

:D

One or two of TT´s modern neo-Fascist posters would see that as a sexist comment! Oh dear! Imagine someone wrote that about a woman...up in arms!!!

As I always say...all in context..and your comment  is for me, beautiful!!!!

And, to stay on topic, not a difficult place to leave then!!!

I was wondering if this thread was ever going back on topic. So how many photos have been posted, four?

If you include Benny Hill, it´s about 6, rodisi! I just posted a pic from this morning from Agios. Did you ever go there?

For Rodisi! This is our favourite coastal village, just about 5 kilometres from here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=mochlos+kreta&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi9po7464XmAhXSjKQKHWAPCwEQsAR6BAgGEAE&biw=1600&bih=757

The original reason we wanted to move to Crete at least 16 years ago but the prices there were obscene...boom time, " foreigner´s prices " etc. Stuff like a semi--literate handwritten posting on the wall " buy for 100, 000 euros ".. ( plot of land without building permission and about 30 square metres!! )

So we eventually settled on Kavousi! Olive farmer types rather than raking-it-in-tavernas.

The oldest village on Crete...over 4,700 years of some kind of settlement (similar age to most of the inhabitants! ):

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kavousi

BUT: one place, the stone quarry..there´s a wonderful dog there, blind in one eye and ignored by a business owner. Blind because he was ignored. The guy has money but doesn´t give a shit.The wonderful dog has a wonderful name, Heraklis.

We stop by surrepticiously when we can with food and a bone.

https://pixers.de/fototapeten/marmor-steinbruch-in-der-nahe-von-dorf-mochlos-kreta-griechenland-59246850

John, if I ever had to leave the Alps which I live near to. I'd give up this lifestyle...

Can you believe I just heard this in Penny? I was actually last weekend raking up bags of leaves from a place similar to this! It's got ancient deer heads all over the walls, a log burning stove, a ski resort opposite. 

And again ,the new Greek neighbour, just 3 yards away max. from the office sees me struggling with one dog to go down the path in darkness and  switches her kitchen light on so I can see. " John, let me know when you want me to put the light on again." " Ok, Eva, midnight! "

And we both laughed.

The simplicity here is again another YES for  Crete. And I got a plate of stuffed wine leaves from her as well for tomorrow!

1 hour ago, john g. said:

The simplicity here is again another YES for  Crete. And I got a plate of stuffed wine leaves from her as well for tomorrow!

Someone described the "heaviness" of German life here a while back. That's why I love travelling in S Europe. Family is on about returning to Sicily next spring. All that culture!

4 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

Someone described the "heaviness" of German life here a while back. That's why I love travelling in S Europe. Family is on about returning to Sicily next spring. All that culture!

And absolutely NO carbon footprint. :lol:

Plenty of cat footprints outside on the office patio today, hoops! The bastards don´t understand how they are contributing to the collapse of the Earth. They got Schweinefleischkotletten..so I contributed a bit more!

The Cretan cats v return-to-Hamburg cats!

46 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

The heaviness of German culture is one reason Germans like to settle here. And for some Greeks..the reason they go to Germany. To get away from the joblessness, to make money..and then return as pensioners and buy a place where they can relax after decades of having a Greek restaurant in Germany.

An anecdote from a trip to Miami with my daughter when she was 7. We went to Disneyworld in Florida. I was knackered and wanted to sleep after the flight. But Silvia saw a party atmosphere down below from the hotel room. So  we went down. And the music, Latina, was blaring and the bar staff were Argentinian, Cuban, Mexican and all was good. A bus load of German Renter turned up at the bar and one of them immediately complained about the noise and asked them to turn down the music.

OK, Rentner..but that wouldn´t happen here in Greece..I bet.

Yeah, they have their rules here but Greeks don´t like rules!

Especially the bus driver the other day, smoking away despite no-smoking signs and chatting away on his mobile!

:D:D

Or the shop I got new cartridges for the printer today plus photocopy paper.  "Without tax 39 euros..with.."I interrupted.

" Forget it. I live here. "

Thems the rules here,

AND, in our village, there are bags of ruins which foreigners sometimes try to buy..we have been through this. " oh, my grandchildren in Athens. Oxi (no ). I don´t want to sell. My grandson/daughter will come back."

2 minutes ago, john g. said:

A bus load of German Renter turned up at the bar and one of them immediately complained about the noise and asked them to turn down the music.

Happy to say my inlaw family is definitely not typical German like that John! They used to take over a wing of a restaurant with all of our kids- 5 or so - ours plus is in laws bunch and after an hour the "Ruhe" obssesed Germans left! I used to name them the Restaurant Clearers! :)